BMW K100 with single carburettor.

Ijustwanttoseethephotos

Reaction score
After two years of riding my K100 turbo, problems started to occur, namely due to more boost and harder use!
I discovered 2 spark plugs were wet and black, further investigation revealed the top rings on 2 pistons had cracked.
I needed to fit 4 new forged pistons with lower compression ratios and better quality rings but this would inevitably
mean the bike got used harder, already it was proving far to easy to exceed the speed limits, a few occasions had
seen 250kph on the speedometer, in France that's lose your licence and your bike time.
I decided to remove the turbo and, because I'd disposed of the injection system, to convert the bike to carbs.
Half the reason was to keep everything really simple, the other half because it was an interesting project.
Four carbs would be the best set-up, but to keep it really simple, I decided to use a single carb and a log-type inlet
manifold.
Yes, getting an even mixture balance between the cylinders would be harder plus I'd lose a few bhp at the top-end,
but this is a road bike not for competition use.
I decided to use a 32mm Bing, purely because I had a spare one along with a lot of Bing jets, etc.
There is no fuel pump, just an inline fuel tap.
I ended up having to make three inlet manifolds to find an acceptable diameter for the main 'log', plus on the final
version, vary the inside diameters of the stubs for cylinders 1 and 4 to balance the mixture distribution between the
inner and outer cylinders.
Finally, everything is finished and working really well. The bike starts instantly hot or cold and acceleration is
seamless. It's returning a constant 46-48mpg per tankful which is acceptable.
I've left the 'soft' cams fitted to the turbo engine in place, with those, (it's the 16V engine), it will drop to 25mph in
5th gear and accelerate cleanly without changing down, the engine is incredibly torquey.
The acceleration at higher rpm is still really good, I don't know how it would compare to an injected system with
'soft' cams as I've never seen one.
It's been an intesting project and I'm pleased with the outcome.

003_zpschvmwovy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Photo of the manifold.

That's georgeous. I often wondered if replaceing the multi carbs on a 4 cyl bike with 1 carb would produce exceptital results. JJH

A friend of mine converted his k100 to carbs back in the nineties. He used the carbs from a Yamaha FZ750

That's georgeous. I often wondered if replaceing the multi carbs on a 4 cyl bike with 1 carb would produce exceptital results. JJH
I think that should be acceptable results. JJH

Beatiful manifold well done very neat job.

Thanks for the positive comments! I've now completed nearly 3000km with the conversion and the bike is running really well.

Hi, That is a truly a nice piece of work.
Any chance I could get details of manifold sizes etc. I am putting a single carb on one of these- actually a rotec throttle body. Doing it for simplicity.
The info would save me an enormous amount of time testing(as you know)
Cheers
Marco

Hi, That is a truly a nice piece of work.
Any chance I could get details of manifold sizes etc. I am putting a single carb on one of these- actually a rotec throttle body. Doing it for simplicity.
The info would save me an enormous amount of time testing(as you know)
Cheers
Marco

After having to make three manifolds, you'll probably understand why I don't want to give out exact dimensions!
All I'll say is that you'll have to alter the inside diameter of each 'runner' to equalise flow.

I guess I was hoping you would not want to have others suffer as you did... :)
Are you planning to manufacture and sell manifolds(or plans), or simply keep it as a personal secret?
I personally share my discoveries to help others of similar interests. Time is all we have, and to save someone time could be the greatest gift.

Hi,
Fantastic work on the K, great to read of people doing 'their own thing'....
I am looking for some advice on carb conversion. I am tired of an over-complicated r1150r twin spark. I am keen to convert it to bing's....do you think this is possible?
Am I correct in believing that as these BM R's are getting older, there is a logic of going to carbs?

thanks,
matthias

Hi,
Fantastic work on the K, great to read of people doing 'their own thing'....
I am looking for some advice on carb conversion. I am tired of an over-complicated r1150r twin spark. I am keen to convert it to bing's....do you think this is possible?
Am I correct in believing that as these BM R's are getting older, there is a logic of going to carbs?

thanks,
matthias

Go on R11XX oilhead section and search in there, loads of info.

A few to get you started.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...Fuel-Injection

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...-s-DIY-fantasy

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...-on-an-oilhead

Looking at the power (per litre) delivered by the Alfa Romeo Twin Sparks I suspect a separate throttle body per cylinder is only needed on an all out race engine.
The 1.8 TS made 155bhp with a single throttle body. Bearing in mind it was tuned haul 1-1/2 tons of car it should have been more than capable of 100bhp per litre.

Sent somehow.

I find the turbo you had on your bike fascinating. Did you build it up from scratch or was it a Luftmeister turbo kit? Did you ever have it dynoed?

Back
Top Bottom