Has anyone declared a hilltop remap to their insurers?

I feel myself slipping into an alternative reality here. :mmmm
Forget all the BS about 'claimed power outputs' and 'transmission losses'.
When I declared my PCV, it was the girl in the office who called it. She had never heard of anyone who had fitted a PCV who wasn't looking for more performance. So there!
This is what you're dealing with, so suck it up.
I declared my AF-XiED units when I fitted them. They've no idea what they're for, but my conscience is clear.
I agree with Stolzy. If you are happy taking that chance, go with it. We're all grown ups here, after all.
So, are you feeling lucky, punk?

Nobody rides at full load all the time so you're losing far less than 11% of peak power. Power is lost as noise as well as heat. And plenty of heat is radiated by the gearbox/FD casings as well as being conducted away.

11Kw (15bhp) is the manufacturers quoted driveline loss of 15% based on 100bhp at the crank. That's after all the waste heat (radiator, exhaust etc) has been thrown away. It's an assumption to massage what the factory delivers. If true even at 1/4 load it would be 3Kw which is still a lot for a gearbox casing to lose.

The reality is the gearbox wastes not even close to that much. So when an engine dyno shows 85bhp at the back wheel it's probably only making about 90 to 95 at the crank rather than the 100 or 105 shown in the brochure. It's a handy manufacturing tolerance that Hilltop or AF-XIED can tune out.

I declared my PCV. No difference in premium. I've also declared the Akraprovic exhaust again no difference though I doubt I would get a replacement even if they still exist. More likely I'd get OEM or sing for it.

Nobody rides at full load all the time so you're losing far less than 11% of peak power. Power is lost as noise as well as heat. And plenty of heat is radiated by the gearbox/FD casings as well as being conducted away.

Friction losses are a more or less straight line from zero so they are there at whatever speed we ride. 11Kw (15bhp) is the manufacturers quoted driveline loss of 15% based on the engine making 100bhp at the crank. That's after all the waste heat (radiator, exhaust etc) has been thrown away. It's an assumption to massage what the factory delivers. If true, even at 1/4 load the 'box would be wasting 3Kw which is still a lot heat for a plain gearbox casing to lose.

In reality, the gearbox wastes not even close to that much. When an engine dyno shows 85bhp at the back wheel the engine probably only making about 90 at the crank rather than the 100 or 105 shown in the brochure. It's a handy tolerance that Hilltop or AF-XIED can tune out.

Had my Africa Twin at Hilltop on Saturday. I rang my insurance co (IAM Surety - who are Adelaide/Cornmarket) they have no issue with having this done and no additional premium.

No surprise that with a description like "Power Commander" an uniformed clerk in the insurance company would be concerned. A name like "Eco-Ride" may have had a different response. ;)

What other suggestions would there be for "Power Commander" to rename their product?

No surprise that with a description like "Power Commander" an uniformed clerk in the insurance company would be concerned. A name like "Eco-Ride" may have had a different response. ;)

What other suggestions would there be for "Power Commander" to rename their product?

That's exactly what happened to me. The girl in the brokers office had never heard of anyone installing a power commander, who wasn't looking for more performance. Must be true then.
Sorry, should have said my former broker.
No problem with my current broker and my AF XiED units. Some benefits in an odd name after all.

That's exactly what happened to me. The girl in the brokers office had never heard of anyone installing a power commander, who wasn't looking for more performance. Must be true then.
Sorry, should have said my former broker.
No problem with my current broker and my AF XiED units. Some benefits in an odd name after all.

My experience was similar to our friend with the Africa Twin.

I spoke to my insurance company to clarify their policy before anything was to be done. I mentioned Hilltop by name, explained about correcting the fuel mixture by modifying the engine management software and their response was that there would be no charge for amending the policy and no increase in premiums. It seems to be more about how it is explained to them and each insurance companies protocol.

If my insurance company had reacted in a different way, I would have waited till renewal and shopped around till I found a company that would not penalise me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best suggestion is AF-XiED.

Back
Top Bottom