Has anyone declared a hilltop remap to their insurers?

I know of three Hilltopped GS's that were sold on without that 'modification' being advised to the new owner.
Not relevant to the OP's original point, but something that might cause sleepless nights for other equally anal worryguts.

You shit stirrer :D

so,

best policy (ho ho) is to buy a secondhand bike that you "don't know" has been mapped.

vendors tapping their nose and winking when asked about such things, could potentially be increasing the value of their bike :)

I'm with Bennets and the cost was only about £6 extra anyway - that was to declare power commander, full exhaust system and added crash bars

Surely all you are doing is making the thing run the way it should have run when it was made!

Mine is so much more predictable (PC-V) that it feel like the bike handles better. So from a safety point its likely to be positive or at least neutral.

Surely all you are doing is making the thing run the way it should have run when it was made!

'Made' includes the software/firmware as well as the mechanical bits - one can't work without the other these days.

If you know that the bike has been modified and the insurance company ask you then you should tell them otherwise your contract could be revoked when you need it most.

It's the owner's responsibility to actually know whether the bike is standard or modified.

Yep - as soon as you purchase any secondhand bike you should get a team of mechanics to fully disassemble* the bike and check for any irregularities - bit like after winning a race at the TT :blast

* edited to keep Schtum happy :p

Yep - as soon as you purchase any secondhand bike you should get a team of mechanics to fully dissemble [sic] the bike and check for any irregularities....

Hiding your true feelings about the bike are unlikely to be helpful, I wouldn't have thought.... :augie

I know of three Hilltopped GS's that were sold on without that 'modification' being advised to the new owner.
Not relevant to the OP's original point, but something that might cause sleepless nights for other equally anal worryguts.

You shit stirrer :D

Yep, I've identified one self-harmer at post 24.

I smiled

It's always traceable if you have the know how - a determined insurance company could easily employ (and probably do) the necessary expertise. If you gave me two identical BMW ECUs one standard and one Hilltopped we could do it here - it would take us a while but we could, for example, remove the FLASH chips and compare their contents even if they were protected.

if you can do that and show me the data file i use i will pay all cost plus a grand so off you go ;-)

An infinite number of chimps with typewriters and infinite time - springs to mind

Al

Back
Top Bottom