From JFK to - you decide!

jaca2865

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys

My son and I are heading to NY JFK for 10 days driving road trip in August.

we are used to the USA but this is a spontaneous trip and so looking for places of interest to visit that are not big cities!!

We want to see some rural and the real USA.

I was thinking of going west to Buffalo (Niagara Falls) and also north through Albany and west to Boston area.

then again we could go south and inland avoiding Phillie and DC etc.

any prior experience and advice would be really welcome. thanks

Jim

Out to the Hamptons, North to Massachusetts, Vermont (the only one of these I haven't been to unfortunately...) Connecticut and Maine, stop over in Kennebunkport or Ogunquit. Visit Salem where the witch trials were held. Perhaps go further North into Nova Scotia and Cape Breton and drive the Cabot Trail. Any or all of those. Suggested on the basis of a trip that my wife and I did after staying for a week in Lower Manhattan and then driving up to Cape Breton and back down to Newark prior to flying home out of there.

Thanks Mike. It's now being checked out.
Hope you're safe and well.
All the best!
Jim

I was in NYC a few weeks ago and was chatting to the sales manager of BMW bikes of Manhattan for a while. He was telling me about some of the fantastic roads and scenery within a couple of hours drive of Manhattan and was good enough to give me his business card, would you like me to PM you his e-mail address, see if he can offer any suggestions?

I was in NYC a few weeks ago and was chatting to the sales manager of BMW bikes of Manhattan for a while. He was telling me about some of the fantastic roads and scenery within a couple of hours drive of Manhattan and was good enough to give me his business card, would you like me to PM you his e-mail address, see if he can offer any suggestions?
Thank you so much Tim. That'd be great and very kind. Thank you!

All the very best

Jim

We did an RV trip starting and finishing in New York in 2013.
We did this route :

Upper New York state is utterly stunning.Obvioulsy we stayed in RV parks but some had other accomodation.My favourite place was Old Forge in the middle of the Adirondacks.As you can see from the link,they have log cabins as well as RV pitches and tents.Beautiful site that has lakes with canoes for rent at $5 an hour !! Fire pits etc .
I will be going back.

Further north,Lake Champlain is lovely.We stayed in Plattsburgh and rented a speedboat for the day and crossed over into Vermont to have lunch in Burlington.

They we got the small car ferry over the lake into Vermont itself and visited the Ben and Jerry's factory,before going into New Hampshire and then on down to Cape Cod for a few nights.

For you guys,just head north and wing it.Trust me,upper New York state is stunning.Then just loop east and south via Cape Cod a bit like we did.

A few pics to whet your appetite :

Bloody hell arsy. That's excellent and makes me look forward to it all the more. Many many thanks.

All the best!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom