Best Route, Besancon->Meiringen, Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer

He/Him - Guitar Student and Electronics Engineer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
Anyone recommend a route from Besancon to Meiringen - never been to that part of France and will be new to Switzerland.

Any 'must sees' on the way? - I can make it an all day trip, just want to arrive before nightfall.

Use your maps (as you always do) and only turn on your GPS as you near your destination (as you only ever do).

PS Just trace your finger along the D roads, you'll not go far wrong. And if you do, it's not far.

Download the ViaMichelin app; it's great as you get all their maps for free. Now pump your start / points in and adjust the app's settings to suit. Look at the route the app suggests. Zoom the map in to see if you can adjust the route by taking alternative D roads, whilst preserving the general direction of travel. Want to add some things to see or restaurants to stop at? Easy, highlight the filters you need.

I camped at Interlaken last year right across the water from the paddle driven cruise ships - gorgeous weather but you might not want to stop as it's not far to your destination. I've guessing you could be heading for the Susten Pass and over to Andermatt? I did that route last year and will be there again in a month's time. Can't wait!

A bit of a detor via Mulhouse? The French National Rail and Motor Museums are there, conveniently near, and signed from the autoroute, if you've not been.

A stop off at Belfort for a wander round the citdelle if you need to stretch your legs.

Or down to Morteau, there's quite a nice gorge just after, heading east. Find the small back roads into Swizterland and enjoy the very different Juracon scenery.
I always find the Jura a nice place to ride through on my way up to my sisters in Ffm from the south, a bit less work after any Alpine endeavours and a nice wind down before the Autobahn.

I sometimes stay in Pontarlier, convenient for me between the start of the trip north and my fave camping in the SoF. It is a pleasant town much frequented by the Geneva crowd. It seems common for the boulangeries to also have an on-board coffee shop, so you can check out which calories you need to soak up the caffeine.

I sometimes stay in Pontarlier.... It is a pleasant town much frequented by the Geneva crowd.....

I say, do you know the Comte du Lurpak? Jolly fine fellow, if a cove with the horses and his wife's a bit of a go'er; nudge-nudge, say no more, squire.

I camped at Interlaken last year right across the water from the paddle driven cruise ships - gorgeous weather but you might not want to stop as it's not far to your destination. I've guessing you could be heading for the Susten Pass and over to Andermatt? I did that route last year and will be there again in a month's time. Can't wait!

We will be staying in Meringen 3,4,5 August to ride the passes and then heading back to Beaune for 3 nights of good food and wine before heading back to the UK via Reims.

I say, do you know the Comte du Lurpak? Jolly fine fellow, if a cove with the horses and his wife's a bit of a go'er; nudge-nudge, say no more, squire.
Poor Parchman, did he really deserve that?

Use your maps (as you always do) and only turn on your GPS as you near your destination (as you only ever do).

PS Just trace your finger along the D roads, you'll not go far wrong. And if you do, it's not far.

Download the ViaMichelin app; it's great as you get all their maps for free. Now pump your start / points in and adjust the app's settings to suit. Look at the route the app suggests. Zoom the map in to see if you can adjust the route by taking alternative D roads, whilst preserving the general direction of travel. Want to add some things to see or restaurants to stop at? Easy, highlight the filters you need.

Thanks - will try the ViaMichelin app.

We will be staying in Meringen 3,4,5 August to ride the passes and then heading back to Beaune for 3 nights of good food and wine before heading back to the UK via Reims.

I'll, hopefully, be there a couple of days after you (I'm having a stop in Barolo for the same reason as you).
Pity, we could have started an engineer gathering!

Maybe next year - I am thinking about heading back down to the Vercors sometime next Summer.
Are you intending to ride over the Susten Pass to Andermatt and maybe the Oberalp Pass on the other side of Andermatt? I did it last September and Andermatt is a lovely wee place. I liked it so much I'm going back in August.

Are you intending to ride over the Susten Pass to Andermatt and maybe the Oberalp Pass on the other side of Andermatt? I did it last September and Andermatt is a lovely wee place. I liked it so much I'm going back in August.

I hope to do the Susten pass, Grimsel pass, Furka pass and any others close by :)

Panoramastrasse

Hi,
I can recommend the Panoramastrasse for the approach to the Meiringen area. Its not widely advertised, but it is one of the Swiss 'theme' roads, and man does it live up to its name. We approached on the 10 from Bern, through Escholzmatt, before turning right signposted Fluhli. Then just follow through to Giswil.
If you happen to go through at the weekend, there is a group of model aircraft flyers on one of the hairpins.....

You'll have to zoom right in on Gmaps before the road appears....But it is there...

Have fun.

If you have time, do the Nufenen Pass....its quieter and more spectacular then the Grimsel or Furka....and you get to do the Airolo Valley.....which is high speed curve heaven. If you are then feeling adventurous, the San Gotthard TREMOLA is a must.....don't be put off by the fact that it is cobbled.....its actually really easy to ride. Susten Pass is fabulous.

There's some lovely riding south of Besancon in the Doubs region. The D67 runs along a lovely gorge (the name of which escapes me). Stay off the main roads, heading to Yvredon les Bains, then make for Gruyere, home of the cheese - you can visit the cheese factory if you like, but your time would probably be better spent going into the old village for a coffee. Then head cross country to Thun and up into the hills to take - as has already been suggested - the Panoramastrasse. In short, I'd suggest this way - which, with a bit of tinkering, can be done without a vignette.

Hi,
I can recommend the Panoramastrasse for the approach to the Meiringen area. Its not widely advertised, but it is one of the Swiss 'theme' roads, and man does it live up to its name. We approached on the 10 from Bern, through Escholzmatt, before turning right signposted Fluhli. Then just follow through to Giswil.
If you happen to go through at the weekend, there is a group of model aircraft flyers on one of the hairpins.....

You'll have to zoom right in on Gmaps before the road appears....But it is there...

Have fun.

Panoramastrasse looks fab :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom