Sgt Bilco's great Alaska Adventure 2016

After a showery day, the morning brings us wall to wall sunshine and some great riding down to a small border crossing back into the USA. Normally, the border guards are humourless at best and sometimes downright rude but today, we were greeted by a happy couple of guards. They were happy for us to take pics and the female guard took or picture by the sign. She insisted on having her picture taken with me and it was obvious she fancied the arse off me and who could blame her?.

Attachments

• Radium1.jpg
    Radium1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 618
  • US Border.jpg
    US Border.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 622
  • US Border 1.jpg
    US Border 1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 609
  • Radium.jpg
    Radium.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 643
  • Friendly guard.jpg
    Friendly guard.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 723
Safely across the border and onto some fantastic roads. It really is an area where you could spend a lot of time as the roads are full of great twisties running through the forests even when there are Harleys chugging along. Just in time, the excellent Beaver Lodge Cafe hoved into view and some of us enjoyed an excellent coke float overlooking a vey inviting Lake. It was crammed witgh Harleys when we got there and a friendlier bunch you couldn't wish to meet.

Attachments

• Beaver lodge.jpg
    Beaver lodge.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 625
  • Beaver Lodge1.jpg
    Beaver Lodge1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 619
  • Beaver Lodge2.jpg
    Beaver Lodge2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 596
  • Beaver Lodge3.jpg
    Beaver Lodge3.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 629
  • Beaver lodge4.jpg
    Beaver lodge4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 706
Early away from Colville and straight onto a small ferry crossing across the Columbia River which was free as are most of these ferries. Some really nice roads followed over a mountain and to be honest, the area if full of them.

Attachments

• ferry3.jpg
    ferry3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 643
  • Ferry2.jpg
    Ferry2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 619
  • Ferry1.jpg
    Ferry1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 612
  • Ferry.jpg
    Ferry.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 705
  • Ferry4.jpg
    Ferry4.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 630
A nice hour or so's riding took us to an breakfast and the very impressive Coullie Dam.

Attachments

• Coullie.jpg
    Coullie.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 649
  • Coullie1.jpg
    Coullie1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 698
  • Coullie2.jpg
    Coullie2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 619
  • Coullie3.jpg
    Coullie3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 615
  • Coullie4.jpg
    Coullie4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 646
With the sun baking down, we rode along the edge of the reservoir through some stunning canyon scenery which I hadn't expected. It soon flattened out to prairie though which was in stark contrast.

Attachments

• Coulie lake 4.jpg
    Coulie lake 4.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 619
  • Coulie lake.jpg
    Coulie lake.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 631
  • Coulie lake1.jpg
    Coulie lake1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 606
  • Coulie lake2.jpg
    Coulie lake2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 734
  • Coulie lake3.jpg
    Coulie lake3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 619
After a showery day, the morning brings us wall to wall sunshine and some great riding down to a small border crossing back into the USA. Normally, the border guards are humourless at best and sometimes downright rude but today, we were greeted by a happy couple of guards. They were happy for us to take pics and the female guard took or picture by the sign. She insisted on having her picture taken with me and it was obvious she fancied the arse off me and who could blame her?.

Do you and the guard share a barber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember crossing the border at Metaline Falls! I don't think they get many people crossing there as we also had a great chat with the customs personnel while a moose walked by in the background!
I believe "The Postman" [with Kevin Costner] was filmed in that area (but I may have mixed a couple of places up!)

After Valdez it's off to Tok. I love these long roads through the forests and mountains as there is far more to biking than twisty roads. Who wouldn't love seeing this through the screen.

Had a little run down a b road and cae across a nice little cafe and store for a nice coffee and sandwich. The gas tanker at the fuel station was a beauty and have absolutely no idea how he was going to reverse it, I've driven some big kit but even thinking how that thing goes backwards gave me a headache.

Along the road a bit I saw this fleet of brand new water bombers all neatly lined up. I've never seen anything like these before and couldn't really work out how they fill teh water tanks unless they are in the floats. My idea was they must have a scoop that drops down which fills teh hatches on teh fuselage but I don't know. They were brand new and look like the crop sprayers so are tough old birds. Given the big fires they have up here, they will be used regularly no doubt.

Some one stole my tankers!

Attachments

• Fuel truck Tok.jpg
    Fuel truck Tok.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 429

Back
Top Bottom