Alpine Strasse

B4ndit

Reaction score
I never intended for a trip I am planning to work out like this.

But for those that might know how long will it take to ride from Lindau to Bad Reichenhall on the Alpine Strasse in one hit. I am actually travelling from Freiburg next week and have the full day to do the route (Freiburg - Bad Reichenhall (Near the end of the Strasse)). 8 hours + travelling is no drama. But will it take even longer.

Once at Bad Reichenhall I have a few days where I can back track and enjoy the roads at a more leisurely pace.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Freiburg to Lindau is about 120 odd miles and the run alongside Lake Constance can be a pain with traffic , after that the route from Lindau to Bad Reichenhall is about 280 miles and can have heavy traffic in places . I've ridden the sections of the road a couple of times over the years and to be honest it is okay .

Coming back over I would head a bit further south and then it is possible to take in the Grossglockner, Plocken Pass some of the less well known Italian passes, then say the Jaufen /Timmelsjoch Passes, the Oetz valley (easily do-able in a day with an overnight in the Oetz valley).

Next day you will have easy access to the Silveretta road and onto Chur and the Furka/Grimsel/ Susten Passes or alternately the Silveretta followed by the Arlberg Pass/Flexen Pass/Hochtanberg and Furkajoch

If its any help we rode from Reit Im winkl to Freiderickshafen on Alpine Road recently which was around 211 miles, according to the nav it was 4.5 hours pure riding time we set off at 09.00 and with stops for coffee/lunch etc we arrived around 16.00. If I remember correctly we had to divert off the route twice due to road/bridge closures, I think may have been caused by the floods in June. We just pressed the divert button on sat nav and all was good, no dramas. Enjoy.

At best you're looking at 350 miles (like this)

But as everyone has pointed out, the B31 is one of Europe's most frustratingly congested, dull roads - the worst road in the Black Forest and it only gets worse along the shores of Lake Constance. So if you were prepared to add as little as 20 miles you could avoid it - might work out slightly slower, might take the same amount of time, could even be five minutes faster. But would definitely be a better ride. I'd go this way.

However, if you wanted to compromise, you could maybe skip a few bits of the DAS to save time. Dropping the loop north from Garmisch should save a bit (like this) but only try it mid-week, as I believe the B307 is closed to bikes at the weekend after too much hooliganism/crashing. That short-cut, followed by a bit of tactical Austrian motorway (10-day vignette is €5.10) saves even more time (like this) but might be a short-cut too far.

Whichever way you decide to go, it is do-able but it's a very long way on those roads. You'd need to make an early start and avoid any extended stops - no two-hour lunches or coffee every hour on any of those routes! It would be a good thing to do, though.

Simon,

Many thanks for that. I shall study your suggestions very carefully. I did Lake Konstance a few years ago and I remember then it was a real pain.

At best you're looking at 350 miles (like this)

But as everyone has pointed out, the B31 is one of Europe's most frustratingly congested, dull roads - the worst road in the Black Forest and it only gets worse along the shores of Lake Constance. So if you were prepared to add as little as 20 miles you could avoid it - might work out slightly slower, might take the same amount of time, could even be five minutes faster. But would definitely be a better ride. I'd go this way.
However, if you wanted to compromise, you could maybe skip a few bits of the DAS to save time. Dropping the loop north from Garmisch should save a bit (like this) but only try it mid-week, as I believe the B307 is closed to bikes at the weekend after too much hooliganism/crashing. That short-cut, followed by a bit of tactical Austrian motorway (10-day vignette is €5.10) saves even more time (like this) but might be a short-cut too far.

Whichever way you decide to go, it is do-able but it's a very long way on those roads. You'd need to make an early start and avoid any extended stops - no two-hour lunches or coffee every hour on any of those routes! It would be a good thing to do, though.
last week the 10day vignette was 8.80 euros, Lake constance was congested and half the B500 was shut, as was parts of most roads we rode in the area viva la summer! :p

Dimon,

I have programmed in your compromise route. That seems to be the favourite option. Many thanks. Really looking forward to this now.

BTW whats the going rate for unleaded in Germany at this time?

Back
Top Bottom