Some on the road advice needed

Daxaar

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm currently on day 8 of a "make it up as you go along" solo european tour that has seen me visit the following to end up on the shores of Lake Garda tonight.

Grimsel
Furka
Stelvio
Dolomites
Lake Garda

I've always had a very rough idea of where I'm going and it's worked out great so far but sitting here tonight I'm drawing a bit of a blank for tomorrow. My general plan is to aim for the French Alps but I'm not sure if I should knock out a transit day on the AutoRoutes tomorrow giving more time in France or head north back into Switzerland towards St Moritz then to Annecy over a few days. Any recommendations for passes or routes across southern Switzerland? After that perhaps back south doing a bit of a U in the French Alps before heading back home in a week.

The route so far
Hard life I know but any help appreciated. :thumb2

You could head across from Garda in a south westerly direction towards Genoa over the hills and swing across in a Turin based direction and then head across to the Italian alps
There's a big trail bike rally in Bardonnechia this Sunday
That puts you right adjacent to the French Alps south east of Val D'Isere

Just looked this up and seen it's the Stella Alpina which I know only from a youtube video. You sir are an absolute gem, thank you. Plotting a route now.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Good stuff
Happy to help out
A tip - Sat night in Bardo will be heaving - best to stay in a nearby village (Turin side) & ride over on the Sunday for the climb up the mountain
Really buzzing atmosphere & Sunday night is good too and then you are the French Alps for the Monday

Job done

I have all the camping gear with me and I believe you can pitch at the start of the climb? I'll head in that direction tomorrow and decide what to do when I get ther. If I have a go at the climb I'll need to either be in the same hotel or camping so I can ditch all the gear. Some of the paved passes have been bad enough with all the pointless crap I've brought with me. :blast

There is free camping at the first refuge on a grassy plain next to a mountain river

Easy to get up there on road tyres

There is a cabin that serves simple food & has toilets

Watch out for flying deer!!! I had one jump out in front of the bike on my way down the mountain. Also, look out for the little furry critters that look like marmots (apparently they make a great burger :D).

Beautiful place and great roads too and from.

There is free camping at the first refuge on a grassy plain next to a mountain river

Easy to get up there on road tyres

There is a cabin that serves simple food & has toilets

It's about 1/3 of the way up the mountain. Gets a bit chilly overnight too!

It's about 1/3 of the way up the mountain. Gets a bit chilly overnight too!
Hmm don't fancy that with all the gear. I'll see if I can find something in the nearby areas for a few days.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Hmm don't fancy that with all the gear.

In another thread you've mentioned the quantity of gear you've bought; it's a common enough mistake.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/429684-Classic-Bikes-and-Dolomites

When you are back it might be helpful to other Adventurers if you listed out what you took, what you didn't touch at all, what you found really useful and what you wished you had brought with you and / or what (if anything) you'd do differently next time.

You could try and catch a bit of the Tour de France as it makes its way across the bottom of France and back up towards Paris.

Great atmosphere and people in and around any of the climbs if you can get camped?

Phil

Quick update. I got here eventually after an unscheduled stop at Misani BMW. Camping in Oulx with almost zero data coverage.

Went up the Stella this morning but bottled it just past the campsite when loads of quads and crossers started buzzing past. Bit annoyed with myself for not carrying on but having noticed the RHS fork leaking I decided I'd use that as my excuse. :blagblah

Have loads of pics and write up to post in my other thread but can't get photobucket to play ball with my uploads so it'll be completed as a post ride report complete with what was and wasnt used.

Heading towards Gap tomorrow then down to catch stages 11/12 of the tour.

Thanks again to everyone that's posted help on this thread.

Come to Chimay Friday and Saturday to finish the trip the way you started which is drunk and watching bike racing. You could email Brigitte and see if anyone has cancelled or if her mate has a spare room. You know it makes sense

Back
Top Bottom