Ride magazines Glossglockner tour plus a bit more

byron

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After enjoying the ride magazine tour the Pyrenees last year I decided do this to plus travel down a bit further to Italy. So the trip is over 12 days ending up going down to Limone with two stops overs at Andermatt and Garmisch for either a rest and relax or a circular tour. I'm travelling with a mate from my village in Dorset and I am on the 1200 RT Panza and he is on a 990 KTM . Wi-Fi allowing I'll try and update you as the tour unfolds.
So I'm updating the first two days of the trip

Day 1

Eventually travelling up from Dorset to the tunnel The M25 was our friend. So quick for a change. We left at 8 AM made really good time and we were in Calais by 2 PM.
The picture shows the RT next to my trusty GS. They were just saying goodbye to each other before I set off.

Day 1

Eventually travelling up from Dorset to the tunnel . The M25 was our friend. So quick for a change. We left at 8 AM made really good time and we were in Calais by 2 PM.
Here I am just ready to board the train. We made great time down to Reims , but just 20 miles from the city my mates KTM developed a fuel leak . We stayed there for four hours till recovery arrived . I had to make a mad dash to our hotel to book in before 11 PM. The fuel pipes are being replaced today and he's travelled up on the motorway to meet me as I've done the magazine scenic route. We are now poised in Mulhouse just waiting to start the real tour. Simon is amazing at planning these routes so we are really looking forward to tomorrow.

Eventually travelling up from Dorset to the tunnel . The M25 was our friend. So quick for a change. We left at 8 AM made really good time and we were in Calais by 2 PM.
Here I am just ready to board the train. We made great time down to Reims , but just 20 miles from the city my mates KTM developed a fuel leak . We stayed there for four hours till recovery arrived . I had to make a mad dash to our hotel to book in before 11 PM. The fuel pipes are being replaced today and he's travelled up on the motorway to meet me as I've done the magazine scenic route. We are now poised in Mulhouse just waiting to start the real tour. Simon is amazing at planning these routes so we are really looking forward to tomorrow.

Hi Byron

Have a great time mate, hope the backs better! looking forward to your trip report. Still 6 weeks away from our big trip you lucky bugger

Hi Byron

Have a great time mate, hope the backs better! looking forward to your trip report. Still 6 weeks away from our big trip you lucky bugger
Hi there Danny
Back is holding up alright at the moment but I've got a nice big heat pad on every day. The weather's been great and not just some fantastic sites of beautiful French villages and towns but also amazing smells of Jasmine in Reims and pines in the Alsace mountains. Just about to go into Mulhouse for a beer to finish a great day. :clap

Cracking pair of bike you have! :thumb2

Day 3 to Andermatt

It's the start of day three and my mate arrived at midnight from Reims travelling up the motorway. Anyway ready for a nice ride now to Andermatt. We are cutting short Day 3 in the magazine to stay there for two nights. My mate wants to do a day trial riding.
So here I am having a relaxing beer at 32° C . I don't expect there's been a heat wave in the UK to match that. The RT is just relaxing on the corner of the car park I did manage to wash off The largest number of bugs I have ever encountered.
Again yesterday the smells in the air are amazing. Sense of Jasmine and pine so beautiful. Well it is time for breakfast and a little enjoyment on them their Twisties

Day three the Alsace region to Andermatt

I decided to crop day three a little short so as to end up in Andermatt and do a small circular tour or have a day off to bed depending on how I feel. The beautiful hills and lush farmland of Alsace were wonderful in the morning. As soon as we got into Switzerland we stopped for a coffee shown in the photo. I said reality check at £4 - for Milear hours of panda sup

Still day 3

Being a riding wimp I am glad I cut the RIDE route short on day three and stopped at Andermatt . What a fabulous route!! The rolling hills of the Alsace area are just delightful but a little hot today with temperatures up to 30° C. For someone like myself with no experience of this area being taken into this huge bowl of valleys including the Grimsel and the Furka passes has been such an experience. The RT has just love the area and of course being dry and sunny has proved good .
The things that struck me so far are the quality of the roads, the amazing attack on the senses of smells and sounds and sights there seems to be photo opportunities everywhere.
Yesterday we stumbled upon an Airheads restoration garage with a beautiful R90 S with sidecar outside. The owner told us it was it was his fun winter ride. The last photograph shows us coming off the Furka pass and having to wait for about 100 dairy cows coming up the route. Those naughty girls change the last couple of kilometres into a slippery old road. So day 4 will be leisurely breakfast for a change and a walk around Andermatt for the first part of the morning and then have got a circular route planned in this area of about 250 km

More please mister.... :beerjug:

Day 4 tour of Andermatt area

Very sunny day today and the plan was to do about 250 km around the area. Taking in several big passes but also looking for attractive little villages. However what I hadn't planned on with all of Switzerland will also be out as it is Sunday. So the big passes were rather processional but the remote areas were still gorgeous. The police were out in force today so great care was needed. Before setting off had a walk around Andermatt which is such a cute little town and real honeypot. I had planned all the route for today on map source before coming so included some really remote areas. But the big passes included Gletsch pass, Grimsel pass and Oberal pass. As the day progressed I noticed that my exhaust valve was becoming more and more squeaky, it seemed to have a dry bush or something. So stopped at a garage and bought a small tin of WD-40 for £15 !!!!!!! But it did the fix. We stay on the Ride magazine route for half of today and then drop down into Italy ending up at Ponte di Legno

Still quite a lot of snow about! More than last year at this time when we were down there! :thumb2

I reckon it was you we bumped into at the Hotel on the Grossglockner? I hope the rest of your trip went well?

Back
Top Bottom