BMW Advantec Ultimate 5w40 oil

Who knows about the WC but the oil cooled engines will settle to an oil level at mid sight glass. Add any more and it will just get burnt off.

I've still got a load of litre bottles of Castrol Power 1 10-40W Racing 4T in the garage, blagged when a) I had Triumph, and b) Tesco were selling it at £2.50 a litre.

At 20 years, most dealer mechanics would have completed a 3 year apprenticeship and have an NVQ4 or 5 level qualification

I was going to post something similar.

Equally, how much experience is needed to change the oil on a $31k AUD bike - I would guess about the same as a $500 AUD bike...

Halfords and unipart do a 5-40w oil, just as good or no?

As long at its compatable with wet clutches...saying that i bought a load of Motul 300v Competition oil cheap and it isn't Jaso spec, without checking i put it in my LC and Panigale and its been fine

It it true that using a fully synthetic 10w 40 makes the LC engines less rattely when hot?
Alan R

Given the millions they put into R&D if they say 5W-40 then so be it, but I reckon it is all about the thickness of the oil.

Emissions and MPG are a couple of reasons they choose 5W-40 and good in cold climates, 10W-40 would be good for ours.... And another vote for Castrol BTW. Avantec probably makes BMW quite a bit of money and ties you to their servicing.

It's all bollox
Back in the day BMW recommended 10/40 in the oilhead boxer - any good 10/40
Then BMW teamed up with Castrol & it went to 20/50 all of a sudden
Now they say 15/50 now they changed to Advantec via Shell
Do you think they changed from 10/40 originally to 15/50 for your benefit or theirs?

It's all bollox
Back in the day BMW recommended 10/40 in the oilhead boxer - any good 10/40
Then BMW teamed up with Castrol & it went to 20/50 all of a sudden
Now they say 15/50 now they changed to Advantec via Shell
Do you think they changed from 10/40 originally to 15/50 for your benefit or theirs?

It's all those worn-out engines with huge great clearances that prompted the move to 15W-50. Stop them rattling themselves to bits.

Probably...

Ive always put 15/50 in all my Bikes but just let it tickover for a minute or so ..if i Rode in winter i probably wouldn't, 5/40 oil does seem piss thin, i think BMW chase the best deal because there's a lot of money to be had selling Oil specifically for your model of Bike and most folk fall for it:blast

Ive always put 15/50 in all my Bikes but just let it tickover for a minute or so ..if i Rode in winter i probably wouldn't, 5/40 oil does seem piss thin, i think BMW chase the best deal because there's a lot of money to be had selling Oil specifically for your model of Bike and most folk fall for it:blast

In a very cold climate, yes 5W-40 would be a good choice. I believe the 5W denotes it flow characteristics in those lower temps.

Bit of bedtime reading for you.

http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm

Quality of the oil makes more difference in my opinion, cheap generally mean shite ingredients.... Unless Tesco is doing a deal on Castrol.

This oil meets and exceeds the specifications set by BMW and is by a long way the most effective at reducing engine noise and improving the gear change. This is my experience and I have tried many if not all the oils that meet the spec and grade.

https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/7100-4t-5w40

Always used that in my 1200 Bandit as advised by the shop... it did get a bit noisey at 15K miles??

This oil meets and exceeds the specifications set by BMW and is by a long way the most effective at reducing engine noise and improving the gear change. This is my experience and I have tried many if not all the oils that meet the spec and grade.

https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/7100-4t-5w40

Always used this oil, done 40k with no problems, as stated exceeds all BMW specs. Never needed to top up between changes..
From Opie oils £39.99 normal price for four litres delivered. Got eight litres for £68 on offer last time from Opie :bounce1

Back
Top Bottom