another great idea

I take my hat off to you. Amazing job. Keep up with the updates

One thought on that big foot. Hard to see clearly in your pictures, but it looks quite thin? I'm wondering if you might want to add to it by screwing on another plate under it? It's just that they do deform...

I'd have been inclined to fit a new clutch plate (depending on the thickness of the existing). I can't see you wanting to get back in there, even in a year or so from now!

I'd have been inclined to fit a new clutch plate (depending on the thickness of the existing). I can't see you wanting to get back in there, even in a year or so from now!

The clutch was replaced at 25K and the new one has done 25K. Should be good for another 75K or more if it's not abused and the man said it won't be a high mileage bike.

Hi guys. . Thanks for the imput. . It seems that my "plate" has less than 1mm wear..after cleaning all the components with this which works well
468fc3b1c3afc9b5d08369e971ba0fda.jpg

This wasn't so effective
309d762b1b9afc4f227be24a6ab1186c.jpg

e03b4552f72895b906d3361d07f66557.jpg

Anyway all the components seem tip top..
I am leaning towards putting it back. . Despite it being against my normal practice. . I am doing a job for a mate who owns a garage tomorrow if he can get me one from one at a silly price I will change it. .

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I take my hat off to you. Amazing job. Keep up with the updates

One thought on that big foot. Hard to see clearly in your pictures, but it looks quite thin? I'm wondering if you might want to add to it by screwing on another plate under it? It's just that they do deform...

Hi thanks for the compliment /cencern/advice. . My "new big foot " is 5mm plate.. (measured under chequor) my pictures are as bad as my writing as you say I can always "add on" tho I was thinking more of thick rubber. . Time will tell.
Cheers

My other problem is ... should (likely )I re use the clutch. I dismantled it in ignorance that it was a balaced unit and didn't mark it but I think these are them (from a more knowlagable person )
ff6c988525afa56cdad745a24af791d8.jpg

Anybody know of any way to confirm?

Brilliant job, I did this with an R1100RS SE in the depths of February and March last year. As you say you need to be careful as your wallet can run dry very quickly with bits here and there. Unfortunately I needed new forks swing arm etc, I found e bay de a really good cheap source. You may think at times it is never ending but the engine looks superb. If you have silver cast wheels, the wurth silver paint is an excellent match, you can buy it on e bay uk.

Excellent work so far.

Brilliant job, I did this with an R1100RS SE in the depths of February and March last year. As you say you need to be careful as your wallet can run dry very quickly with bits here and there. Unfortunately I needed new forks swing arm etc, I found e bay de a really good cheap source. You may think at times it is never ending but the engine looks superb. If you have silver cast wheels, the wurth silver paint is an excellent match, you can buy it on e bay uk.

Excellent work so far.
Cheers Karl sadly I had spoked wheels with rusty spokes.. now I have very expensive powder coated wheels n hubs with stainless spokes. . I need to save money. . The costs are spiralling 😢

I had them soaking in acid for a while (left over from cleaning my tank) they came out nice and clean. the sensible thing would have been to put them in the shed with all the other cleaned bits.. But I suffer from not listening to my own good advice and ended up buffing them (I have a crappy bench mounted buffer) I wasn't looking for a mirror finish so didn't start with the "coarse" compound just used the "finishing" compound and have regretted it ever since.. I might re do them ..

Don't bother re-doing them - they will tarnish within an hour or two of running the engine. I polished mine up to a mirror finish:

5_zpsoskb2uai.jpg

I treated them with Gyeon RIM which should have prevented them from tarnishing again, but they looked like this after about two hours riding:

IMG_8363s_zpstinqkin1.jpg

The guys at Polished Bliss that I bought the Gyeon RIM from applied it to the stainless downpipes of a Subaru Impreza WRX and even after driving hard enough to get the exhaust glowing a dull red, it didn't tarnish. I'm starting to suspect I made a mistake somehow because it was at the end of a very long job, so I'm going to try again in the winter (I'm not taking the bike apart at this time of the year).

Anyway, my point is that it's a waste of time to try to get a mirror finish on them because it won't last unless you treat them with something expensive and even then there's no guarantee that it will work.

thanks for saving me from myself.. I knew it was foolish to polish them knowing that stainless goes blue when hot... but somehow there I was standing at the buffer it didn't take long in truth..

thanks tadhgocuilleain for saving me from myself.. I knew it was foolish to polish them knowing that stainless goes blue when hot... but somehow there I was standing at the buffer it didn't take long in truth.. but I wont be wasting any more time on them if you cant keep yours clean I have no chance (read your "protection detail"

As to the all the input/disagreement about my clutch from everyone else I have failed to get one (cheap) from a motor-factors.... but in the absence of any marks on my components and so far at least nobody being able to tell me how to workout how to balance them i seem to have no choice than to order a new one... in truth I have not been comfortable refitting old components.. I might have to forgo having my seat altered.

Hi thanks for the compliment /cencern/advice. . My "new big foot " is 5mm plate.. (measured under chequor) my pictures are as bad as my writing as you say I can always "add on" tho I was thinking more of thick rubber. . Time will tell.
Cheers

The picture is a little misleading. Sounds like it'll be just fine and besides, you have plenty of room to screw something onto it if needed.

For the clutch, I'd still fit a new one. But I'm like that. I guess it just means you know what you have in there. But sounds like you've gone for the idea anyway

Keep it coming. I just haven't got the time to do something like these jobs, so I'm living vicariously through everyone else's projects on here

The picture is a little misleading. Sounds like it'll be just fine and besides, you have plenty of room to screw something onto it if needed.

For the clutch, I'd still fit a new one. But I'm like that. I guess it just means you know what you have in there. But sounds like you've gone for the idea anyway

Keep it coming. I just haven't got the time to do something like these jobs, so I'm living vicariously through everyone else's projects on here

this project has stalled.. I am waiting for parts, its horrifying how quickly a rocker joint here - new bolt there soon tops up to an order of over a £100 and I have just ordered a complete clutch kit (I am pretty sure I figured out how to re fit the old one)... it would have been the first time since my teenage years that i would have re fitted used clutch components,, still just the tires to buy, seat to cover, shocks to recon, brakes to overhaul ... best not to think about the money :tears

Look on Openo for tyres, or put an add in the wanted section here. Could save you a few quid ( and some tears)

When I can get some more road orientated tyres, I will have a set of lightly used TKC80s up for grabs - how anyone can ride with them on the road I have no idea! I have done maybe 500 miles on them and I can't stand the hum, nor can I get used to the feel - but everyone I talk to says they are brilliant. I just don't like them.

When I can get some more road orientated tyres, I will have a set of lightly used TKC80s up for grabs - how anyone can ride with them on the road I have no idea! I have done maybe 500 miles on them and I can't stand the hum, nor can I get used to the feel - but everyone I talk to says they are brilliant. I just don't like them.

crumbs I am with you.. tires like that usually have"not for road use" on them:eek i have no aspirations towards "scrambling" on a GS. I once did 5 days in Thailand on an "off road safari" first day I thought the CRF250 was a toy.... I wasn't thinking that by the end of the week! I cant imagine picking up a GS eleven times a day :eek: and I am sure my injury list would have read longer than broken rib, broken thumb.. countless cuts and bruises:blast.
My brother in law takes his adventure green lane-ing he has been over more fences than Red Rum

a man has to know his limitations.. in the right hands its proven that these bikes can do it... but my hands aint gonna try

Back
Top Bottom