another great idea

For your seat (I'm not sure what state yours is currently in?)but because you seem pretty handy you might think about doing it yourself. You can buy covers to fit... Just a thought, lots have done it

For your seat (I'm not sure what state yours is currently in?)but because you seem pretty handy you might think about doing it yourself. You can buy covers to fit... Just a thought, lots have done it
My seat is in good order.. I have no fear of taking the cover off.. I have done it once to fit a gel pad.. but I was hoping to give it to a pro to try and make it more comfortable. .maybe carving it from granite or something 😆

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

45c4df3525b81567aa20ca22f9978f88.jpg

Not much progress but today I fitted my new clutch and have tacked the box on but despite spending a fortune on new bolts this week I forgot about the the ones that hold the box on..

ha!
I saw the picture above and at first thought that it was the was way you installed the gearbox, by having the engine turned 90degrees on to the front edge - then I realised it is just how the picture is posted.

I did my clutch on the weekend and whilst it should all slide back on, getting the splines lined up was a bitch.
Neighbour helped me.

We both concluded that next time it might be easier to lower the gearbox from the top down, hanging it from the rafters, of course if the engine is removed like yours is....

ha!
I saw the picture above and at first thought that it was the was way you installed the gearbox, by having the engine turned 90degrees on to the front edge - then I realised it is just how the picture is posted.

I did my clutch on the weekend and whilst it should all slide back on, getting the splines lined up was a bitch.
Neighbour helped me.

We both concluded that next time it might be easier to lower the gearbox from the top down, hanging it from the rafters, of course if the engine is removed like yours is....
I did fit the box whilst the engine was "face down " as you say much easier especially doing it single handed. . I think "guide pins" are another option.

One step forward two steps back.

I decided to re do the engine. . 😢
I was never really happy with it and when I sprayed it I suspected the colour was a bit off from what all the bits had been painted. (School boy error always check the shading BEFORE you have need it.. not on a saturday afternoon)But close enough. . As things were coming together I realised I couldn't live with it. . It would have been easier to re do the "bits " but. .. I am a fool. .
4cf8ea4b64353fd3c36e462ede7d62a7.jpg

I lot of sanding , a dash of priming, a bit of black as a guide coat ... some swearing and lots more sanding and I am still not ready to paint
738fdc57747c14987024ac1505aeefb7.jpg

In a bid to delay sanding I decided to do this
b62966ac36349fae976df52c4ec0f818.jpg

So now I have more to sand 😨

Almost a pleasure to be in the garage tonight I needed a morale boost.i was hoping to put the swing arm etc on but my local bearing emporium didn't have suitable bearings. .they did however have an oil seal for the front cover. . So that's back on.
954b2bc3ac6bdef3f812a026b0808085.jpg

I will clean the sealant when it's dry
712f2a73ab21299d9269edce40ba0ca0.jpg

The alternator was reconditioned month's ago.
c44af21c941ce21785fbec4ef5cea88c.jpg

Pegs have been hibernating in the shed since being painted
706f7335f00cc089a10197d43979a0b0.jpg

1bfdfc466c3fa76060a88d8361c36c89.jpg

I couldn't resist placing the starter cover on
I need one of these
eeec06b8c4ac9fa35d6e862038c0bee9.jpg

To hold this on
79c5d493e891827614bbe8e0344801c0.jpg

Anybody got one lurking under a bench?

if you bearing emporium does have the final drive pivot bearings then I THINK that you have found the only place in the world outside BMW that has them!

I am pretty sure that they are BMW specific.

Yes that's what they said. .they even turned on their computer. I Didn't know they had electric never mind a computer! ( It's an old school place) Never mind I have some on order now.

if you bearing emporium does have the final drive pivot bearings then I THINK that you have found the only place in the world outside BMW that has them!

I am pretty sure that they are BMW specific.
I thought he said "swingarm bearings"?

What are "final drive pivot bearings?"
Are you speaking about the paralever bearings?

Sorry. I'm following this story with interest, but this is confusing me!

My error, yes, was talking about paralever bearings, I typed final drive.
I think the paralever bearings are BMW specific as well

to me, the paralever bearings are at the front of the paralever, inline with the foot pegs.
These are the paralever bearings because they are installed in to the paralever and the paralever rotates on these bearings

the final drive bearings are the ones that the final drive rotate around, are installed in the final drive, at the aft (back end) of the paralever.

Hi guys I am sorry that my writing is not more descriptive and causes so much confusion.. I suppose I should either take time to get the proper names or stop posting. . I have tried to limit my posts to when I am making progress to try not to be too boring. . Sadly tonight wasn't a great leap forward but since I am posting here are some pics

The frame has been unwrapped
bfe58a1a6906fa3b174e68a89cfca8bd.jpg
f893c139a48c3c709b7a3e09dc3c14e3.jpg
1b5cfbe30cacec31c30dd56ca401016f.jpg

And I am making new bolts to hold it on//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160803/295b88d01623d
39a8138156e3e677910.jpg
Does anyone know if this stay is in the proper place
76ab54e47a02254755e4022313b6d84c.jpg
I am sure they are handed and is this the proper orientation?

My error, yes, was talking about paralever bearings, I typed final drive.
I think the paralever bearings are BMW specific as well

to me, the paralever bearings are at the front of the paralever, inline with the foot pegs.
These are the paralever bearings because they are installed in to the paralever and the paralever rotates on these bearings

the final drive bearings are the ones that the final drive rotate around, are installed in the final drive, at the aft (back end) of the paralever.
No worries

I'm still learning about these bikes myself . I guess the naming of things correctly is useful though.

To my understanding there is the Telelever (front set-up) and the paralever (rear set-up). For the latter, the mechanism is the hinged final drive in combination with the paralever arm/brace that runs back toward the underside of the swingarm (above the swingarm on the 1200). But I'll stand corrected if this is wrong!

Hi guys I am sorry that my writing is not more descriptive and causes so much confusion.. I suppose I should either take time to get the proper names or stop posting. . I have tried to limit my posts to when I am making progress to try not to be too boring. . Sadly tonight wasn't a great leap forward but since I am posting here are some pics

dont stop posting, it was totally my error

From memory that through bolt is an absloute bastard to get in when trying to align the frames. (I think I used a ratchet strap in the end)

Post as much crap as you like, this is a great thread.

Back
Top Bottom