another great idea

Thanks for the quick response Mike .. I considered that ..as I I haven't long fitted it (new bowden cables ) it seems ok at least without disturbing the "wrap" it does. . But I may just have to cut it open 😢

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

After trashing hours of work.. I found that the fuse blows when the heated grips are turned on 🤐 even when the grips are unplugged. .. Sadly the switch died on the operating table😷😭.. before I could work out why!?? ..

My grips were heating nicely prior to work starting.. and whilst I have fitted new rubber grips if I had caused any damage. . Unplugging them as I did would eliminate them as the cause.. I really don't see how a switch can become faulty whilst in storage. . Either way I need a replacement mine is definitely faulty now !

I am pretty sure that I have caused everyone to fall asleep
. But ..after a disastrous weekend of wiring with my moral and confidential at a low I have carried on wiring. .😓 . I had a change of plan I have now wired all my DRL's on their own circuit. . (As opposed to taking a feed from the factory lights ) my hellas are controlled by one relay (with a switch on the binacle ) and the others are just controlled by the drl switch and I intend fitting LED bulbs to my PIAA lamps .. everything went well enough and the installation quite neat IMO .. I had a bit of head scratching I have never used 5 pin relays .. then last night testing my lights were on full time.. lots of testing later and undoing I gave up in disgust (at myself ) today with a clear head it turns out that it's a faulty relay (infact 3 of the pack of 5 are faulty ) so beware of these . I will be buying a branded one. But my lights are all working fine .. I had to fit an isolator switch for the DRL'S so my battery charger won't active them.. .. simpler than yet another relay triggering the voltage sensing relay with a feed from the ignition. . .. I think 😞

Sorry my tapatalk update insists on putting all pictures at the bottom of the page
8d1b45dd26010ae448c065458dee41d9.jpg
aa4fae8e5258bf46ce720a5a63399a0f.jpg
27bd06d877bb1647dc8f556e64427902.jpg
44e7dcd1fd9f473f89d638619e81fe8b.jpg
e1415daf08b5190ea4de93c75ca020bb.jpg

another great idea!

What a cracking thread, I wish I had the time/patience, but above all, the skill to do a refurb like yours on my 2001 1150, I can but dream! If you want to recoup some costs and have that spare adv beak drop me a pm. Good luck with the final finishing, enjoy! Cheers:beerjug:John B

Cheers for the compliment. I might have misled you.. I don't have a beak ... let alone 2 not even I am scatter brained enough to buy such a costly item twice. . I have 2no lower "fender" (mudguard ) extenders
I was hoping to buy a beak.. but .. well I don't really need one and I just had to spend similar cash on a new used handle bar switch 😢primarily due to being heavy handed.. (temper) and I keep drawing a line on my spending (and moving it 😉)

Well my new (used) switch arrived and predictably the same fault exists. . The fault seems to be in the loom between the multi plug and the instrument panel. But having once again undone hours of work.. unwrapping my loom looking for breaks or obvious damage (which I wouldn't have wrapped ) tugging cables .. . I have realised it's time to call an autotrician 😐 I am ok with electrics to a point.. but it's time to stop going round in circles. .
eea902333f7f833a91ce658279d496a2.jpg
87e84ae191ab8ff00fb0b5ee80ef8609.jpg
20d6e4a36b36f12879051ca50b00e46f.jpg

I have plodded on today with a few simple jobs.. fitted my mudguard. .and finished building th lower front end. Clipping brake lines .
Fitted my exhaust etc threaded the cable through the crash bars (using the old "bath chain trick" new oil filter so the belly pan can stay on.
077d1ab6cc1418fd970695d1c1bbbc35.jpg
1c632e50e8ce6f62e1363fa3fbab848f.jpg
931e583df09d64dae59b1f015504bc14.jpg
5ac479ba2bffd0dfbbf2f40c56b0cecd.jpg
9c9a55fe2279db83186070adeadf85ce.jpg
59e711ae3797dba15e97e2d21644ab0a.jpg

Too be honest I have gone out of my way to leave the loom largely as it left the factory (Maybe one day it will be a classic and need putting back to original 😜) my drl's are on their own circuit/loom. And the indicators take their feeds from the original cable. ... but you have a point. . But at least he will have(hopefully ) knowlagable to know that what he is testing is doing what it's supposed to be. .

The no work on the bike since the weekend and none possible for a few days yet 😐(life getting in the way) but on the upside? ? The autotrician came after 10 minutes of testing was as baffled as me then I had a sudden realisation that I had the heated grips in the wrong plug😶 . I can't begin to say how embarrassed I was and how anoyed I am with myself so I ruined a perfectly good switch and destroyed my tidy wiring because I didn't check the wiring colour and just assumed that because the plug fitted I was right. .. bummer

Well I managed a couple of hours yesterday and today. . And I am back to where I was three weeks or so ago.. All electrics working. .. and tested. Engines on .. too be honest I am at the stage where I need to fill up the oils .. I even managed to fit my seat and sit on it to adjust the bar grips etc..
Fingers crossed I might fire it up this weekend. . But there is quite a bit to do on the tank. . Refitting the internals and all the threads are full of paint 😢 so will need .. a bit of attention.
b9887c6315dcd83857f4d00fb33bd928.jpg
abc57e7b80d467e7d20581122bb462e0.jpg
34b8ef8e498665e14b70790f01b748d5.jpg

I had a few setbacks which means I won't get to try and start it this weekend. . But it is starting to look like a bike .
Can anyone tell me what colour to put on my v5 is it graphitan? Or grey.

Cheers
fdb6979b79956750ce65be9a7fd8c945.jpg
9e796640f51ebb0c14a3128928772d87.jpg
7eb49565c07eb4f9f40e1c1492263a9d.jpg

Well today was the day.. The big day . The end of the build...

it didn't work out😢

I rebuilt the tank yesterday. . New filters new o ring Fitted it this morning cursing myself for spending so much cash on "quick disconnects" after all how often does it come off !? The money better spent on the shiny new top box I have promised myself
Well I have had my money's worth already it's been off and on.. lots

After much tinkering an swearing I started the bike . It was rough as..... backfiring etc. Eventually at risk of dying from exhaust fumes I decided to take the fight outside. . Easyer said than done, my "garage door" hasn't been opened since the bike came in through it! I cleared a path and took the bike out (it's straight onto a busy road and I don't like people seeing all my gear) pushed the bike around into my yard.. the plan being start for long enough to clear any air and balance the throttle bodies.

The bike will.not start

The pump works.

Fuel sprays (dribbles)from the injector when it's pulled from.the throttle body.. and if I disconnect the feed pipe from the injector it sprays with force

I have a spark.. not what I consider a good spark. But strangely even after prolonged cranking the plug (new) is dry

So even though I am 100% sure there is (some) fuel entering the throttle bodies it's not flooding from.a bad spark (imo) .

I haven't touched the timing

Anybody with any input?

Cheers

Are the throttle body cables seated properly? Usually when playing with the tank you can knock them so the outer doesn't seat fully.

Thanks for the link I will read it properly this evening . And check the seating. . It may well be a factor as far as the roughness is concerned. . But surely not total failure to start.. as far as the hoses are concerned. . I have tried them both ways. . Currently they are fitted in a manner where they follow the natural curves ..
I have just arranged to take the injectors for testing tomorrow. . And intended removing the coils etc to get a resistance test. . The coil is going to be a pain to remove! But yesterday when investigating an "intermittent spark I saw one of the low tension cable hadn't been crimped . It had worked for 17 years! .. but I won't rest until I take it off and properly inspect the conection.
Thanks for your input. You were right about polishishing the headers. . One is already disclouring. . I suspect it was running on one cylinder most of the time 🤐
Cheers

Thanks for the link I will read it properly this evening . And check the seating. . It may well be a factor as far as the roughness is concerned. . But surely not total failure to start.. as far as the hoses are concerned. . I have tried them both ways. . Currently they are fitted in a manner where they follow the natural curves ..
I have just arranged to take the injectors for testing tomorrow. . And intended removing the coils etc to get a resistance test. . The coil is going to be a pain to remove! But yesterday when investigating an "intermittent spark I saw one of the low tension cable hadn't been crimped . It had worked for 17 years! .. but I won't rest until I take it off and properly inspect the conection.
Thanks for your input. You were right about polishishing the headers. . One is already disclouring. . I suspect it was running on one cylinder most of the time
Cheers

Sounds very like the cables - I only suggested it as I'd done the exact same thing and she would not keep running. I had one of the headers glowing red at the time.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom