TomTom routing / map problem

Simon W

Reaction score
Just having trouble getting a sat nav to accept a route over Soulor. Is it shut at the moment?

Just having trouble getting a sat nav to accept a route over Soulor. Is it shut at the moment?

You don't say what device ? Assuming it's a Garmin I had a quick look, Works on the latest garmin maps using Mapsource. Are you sure you haven't got "avoid seasonal closure" ticked? This setting avoids seasonally close roads all year not just when they are closed

John

It's not a device setting. I do know how to use the bloody thing. :rolleyes: :duck: And it's not affecting any other high passes - from Tourmalet to La Bonette. Only Soulor.

It's not affecting the routing on the Zumo - only when I duplicate it for a TomTom. And it's not the device: it is the mapping. The TomTom map set shows it as a dotted road, as if a seasonal or other temporary closure is in force. With the new MyRouteApp for TomTom, you can compare/check the routing on TomTom, Google Maps and Here (the Garmin map set). With this route, the TomTom ones won't route over Soulor, though the others do. This is more concerning than the others as Garmin will avoid passes purely on a calendar basis, if you don't turn off the avoidances; Google Maps updates semi-frequently (I believe on a weekly basis); but as I understand it TomTom uses probe data from users to confirm status on an hour-to-hour basis. TomTom also make their own maps –*and adjust them/remap them based on probe data - so I tend to put more faith in their maps/updates than in the Garmin ones, which are bought in from other people. But for planning you just can't beat Garmin...

Thanks for the ViaMichelin update, though - that should be reliable.

I don't actually need the sat nav to do the route, but I do like to use it to track my ETA so I can correct/adjust/abandon the route if I'm dawdling.

OK, all is well then.

It's odd that TomTom maps show what is a reasonably well surfaced D road (even if it is prone to seasonal closures) as a broken line and refuse to route down it. I can only suggest a call to them on your return.

Enjoy the jaunt.

............... But for planning you just can't beat Garmin...

Unless, of course, you have the openstreetmap ones!

I'm not sure how TomTom update their maps on the devices. Are you saying it happens automatically? As someone who spent the last 8 summers in the Alps I can tell you that passes close at very short notice, I would never rely on a map however up to date it might claim to be. The Garmin avoid seasonal closures setting was useful in that we could then use the device during the winter months without being routed over roads that are likely to be closed. Simply untick it in the summer and check locally as to closures. At least it will, unlike your TomTom, route you over the pass.

Map updates are quarterly but the live traffic updates include road closures (sent via smartphone-link). That live traffic stuff really is fast - within an hour sometimes; one of the better features of the TomTom. With this route, I wondered if the central database copy of the map used by MyRouteApp - the new planning engine they're using - might have auto-updated to match live-traffic info.

Map updates are quarterly but the live traffic updates include road closures (sent via smartphone-link). That live traffic stuff really is fast - within an hour sometimes; one of the better features of the TomTom. With this route, I wondered if the central database copy of the map used by MyRouteApp - the new planning engine they're using - might have auto-updated to match live-traffic info.

So traffic updates are like the ones we get on our cheap car Garmin? Does not need a smartphone link either.

John

Back
Top Bottom