Cherbourg to Dordogne in a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comberjohn

Reaction score
Planning a week or ten days in the Dordogne in early September. Intend taking a cabin on the boat and hitting the road in Cherbourg about ten in the morning.
Using the motorways, is it feasible in a day?
I've done Bordeaux from Cherbourg not using the toll roads and it was a long, long day. Not going with the same tight fisted git this time.
I'm thinking if I'm well rested on the boat and planned rest stops, it's possible.
Anyone else done it?

According to Google maps it is 680 kms direct.

Depending on what time your ferry docks and / or what time you need to arrive by and / or what you want to do by way of stops en-route, I would say that is eminently doable.

Depends where along the Dordogne also that you are heading for.
Did Roscoff to Sarlet La Caneda in a day - not on motorways, but it is probably shorter than from Cherbourg.

Apple Maps says 474 miles and 8 hrs to drive (Cherbourg to Sarlat)

So doable, but....

I recently did Calais to Perigeux, setting off at 10.30ish and arriving at 8.30pm. But that was in a car and we shared the driving.

The one plus point is that the roads, and particularly the Autoroutes, are much much quieter than in the UK, so easier to keep the average speed up.

But on a m'bike, I would be looking to have an overnight stop somewhere.

Depending on which route south you take, if you reach Cognac, then I can highly recommend this place: http://www.jardinsenville-cognac.com
- best b&b I have ever stayed in.

Have done it several times to a mates place near Brantome.
About 8 hours off the motorway 5-6 hours on the motorway.
Last time I went from Le Havre (similar distance).
Off the boat about 0830. Pulled up at mates place around 1630, including a leisurely lunch and only about a quarter of the miles on motorway.

I tend to avoid Le Mans and Tours. From Alencon I head for Chateaudun then Blois then Chateauroux to join the A20. Motogoloco says about 7 hrs to where I live in the n. Dordogne going via Tours and Le Mans and it normally takes about the same time going via Blois. They are mostly D roads but in that part of the world tend to be straight and fast so it's easy to make good time.

Easy you will average 100km per hour including fuel stops, there is nothing to hold you up.

According to Google maps it is 680 kms direct.

Depending on what time your ferry docks and / or what time you need to arrive by and / or what you want to do by way of stops en-route, I would say that is eminently doable.

Should be straight forward enough but if you think it is going t be a long day it doesn't hurt to take a couple of ibuprofen every 4 hours to ease the aches and pains and factor those into your rest/food stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom