Fuel filler rust

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I did a search in this section and it seems this has not been posted before.

I took delivery of my R1200r classic (2011) today. I had been doing a bit research and came across a post on you tube. The guy did a excellent video. His problem is not an isolated one, rust in the filler cap recess. Have a look at the link.

So after picking my bike up I was anxious to find out if my bike had the same issue. Yes indeed, not as bad but pretty nasty. So I started doing what was done in the video to cure the problem.

The seal that sits on the flange on mine had never been linked up correctly and was crushed. A new one was ordered as was the large seal that you see in the video. The part number is in the video.

One of the 2 drain holes was blocked and remains so. The tank will have to come off for that. Unsurprisingly it was the one that gets most use when the bike is on its side stand.

Hope this helps and the link works.

link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLb0v_d_H5M

I also have the same problem on a 2012 Classic, but in my case the bike is covered by a BMW dealers 2nd hand bike Warranty, is this something that will be covered by the warranty I dont really want to take it back to suppling dealer as they are 150 miles away.

I also have the same problem on a 2012 Classic, but in my case the bike is covered by a BMW dealers 2nd hand bike Warranty, is this something that will be covered by the warranty I dont really want to take it back to suppling dealer as they are 150 miles away.

Ring them & ask. They may be flexible about it.

Didn't think I would see my original post again.....

If your Dealer does relent and solve your problem what action do you think that would be. A new tank with all the fittings, fuel pump, fuel strip transferred well that may happen.

Or do you think it would be they way I went ? Mine was also under warranty and my dealer is 2 miles away. I choose to do it myself and a recent inspection showed no trace of corrosion returning. I renewed the seal you can see in your first photo and then added the seal from the xr1000.

If the dealer doesn't want to do a tank swoop then ask for the seals to be supplied. Don't know how it works but the warranty is with BMW. Try the supplying dealer first and if they are prepared to sort it then perhaps a closer dealer may accept the warranty work and save you a journey.

The rust looks worse than it is, at least on mine. The metal thickness in this area is good. If you take the tank off beware you can connect the fuel lines the wrong way round. I did it :blast

Good luck and enjoy the new bike.

Thanks Steve, it’s not a big job to do, but I’m unused to having a bike with a Warranty and was wondering if this rust issue had been covered by warranty before. I agree with you that throwing a new tank at the problem is a bit disproportionate.

Follow up question, is the ESA preload adjuster only on the back?

My r1200r classic had only the heated grips box ticked. No ABS, nothing. So I cannot comment on the ESA. But yes my standard fit suspension had rear preload adjustment under the seat.

I did a search in this section and it seems this has not been posted before.

I took delivery of my R1200r classic (2011) today. I had been doing a bit research and came across a post on you tube. The guy did a excellent video. His problem is not an isolated one, rust in the filler cap recess. Have a look at the link.

So after picking my bike up I was anxious to find out if my bike had the same issue. Yes indeed, not as bad but pretty nasty. So I started doing what was done in the video to cure the problem.

The seal that sits on the flange on mine had never been linked up correctly and was crushed. A new one was ordered as was the large seal that you see in the video. The part number is in the video.

One of the 2 drain holes was blocked and remains so. The tank will have to come off for that. Unsurprisingly it was the one that gets most use when the bike is on its side stand.

Hope this helps and the link works.

link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLb0v_d_H5M

My 05 GSA tank filler drain was blocked and water collecting in the filler. Took about half an hour of poking the plastic tube from the wd 40 can' then thin wire in the hole, plenty of spraying and blowing air and further prodding from the other end of the drain but now it's clear it runs as free as a sink with the plug out.
No need to remove the tank, just determination and patience. Couldn't get the wire past about 2 inches for ages then as the crap came out it went a lot further down.

Chipped away the crud this morning and given the area a first coat of fernox, both drain/ breather holes cleared with trimmer cord, my bike has the white stripe, the real rust starts where the white paint ends, and so looks as if the base area may have only been finished with primer. not good. A couple of layers of paint with a finish of undercoat wax, should sort it. Seals on order.

My 2012 R1200R had the same problem. Cleaned it up, bought an abdeck ring from BMW, and now all seems ok. Can't believe that BMW thought the saving of the abdeck ring was a good idea. But who am I to argue. I just remove the rust!! Had the same problem with drains. In the end, used the plastic twine from a garden strimmer and that seemed to work ok. You reminded me, I must give it another poke to check it is still clear. RobA.

I’ve just seen from Realoem that the ring is a current part on the nineT range of bikes, anyway gaskets ordered, princely sum of £7.00, just need to get some paint to act as topcoat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems a common problem. I cleaned and fitted a new tank seal as well as the new one also cleaned out the drain, which was blocked. As RobA says strimmer plastic is best to clear and bit of WD40 cleans the crap as you go. Do a google search loads of info and pictures. Here's a couple of pictures of mine. Shows which is drain etc need to fit new ring carefully so not to distort it as well. Check every service and still getting some damp but no standing water.

Attachments

• rusty cap.jpg
    rusty cap.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 250
  • Tank ring.jpg
    Tank ring.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 259

Back
Top Bottom