Alarming Bike weave

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
All

Got a bit of an issue with the old girl.

Riding through mist rain and a dirt road in the Yukon yesterday, the bike suddenly decided to start weaving slightly. I initially thought it was the road conditions but is continued. I then thought I had a front puncture but the conditions were appalling and there was no way I was stopping because the conditions were so bad and anyway Heidenau's are generally tough enough to not worry too much.

Anyway, on closer inspection this morning, the pressures are good and there are no apparent clunks from bearings or drive. Everything seems as it should.

The mud is horrible so maybe some was affecting something but after a jetwash and a removal of about 5kg of the stuff, no change.

Rode up and down and what is happening is the front end seems to have a mind of it's own and weaves left and right as if it wants to tuck. It dissappears when you get over about 40mph.

I'm presuming it's the tyres but I've never had anything like that before with Heidenau's.

Any one have any thoughts?

are you heavily loaded, especially at the rear of the bike ?

Have you checked the fork clamp bolts etc. Was the cause of weaving on one of my bikes once.

Not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but, Is the tyre seated on the rim o.k?

Only time i had similar - it was a loose engine mounting bolt 'pushing and pulling' the drive as i accelerated or decelerated!

Good Luck.

I'd agree with the advice above - if it's not load related, then the telelever - either the balljoint, the bearings where it enters the crankcase, the fork brace clamp bolts etc etc - is where I'd be concentrating my efforts.

old but true if the front feels funny check the back. JJH

I agree with the above. In germany 4 weeks ago my mates girlfriend on her tuono said her front end felt really weird over the intercom. We stopped and I checked her front tyre and front end and all was good. I was getting on my bike again and noticed her rear tyre was flat.
CHECK your rear bearings etc

Bilko I am having a similar problem with my heidi's Sounds slight in comparison to yours

A weave which seems to be cured by sitting forward and putting more weight on the front

Its back to basics for both of us Sir

Checks I will be doing.....

Tele lever ball movement AND the top bearing below the Yoke, and check Fork Clamps are tight

Front Shock mount top and bottom

Swingarm bearings
Rear FD pivot Bearing
Brake disc carrier to Axle tube still tight
rear shock upper and lower mounts

and Test the Suspension see if you have lost damping OR a broken Spring !

Rear shocks fekked or something rear suspension related I reckon.
feelings of instability with the front end are often symptoms of a fault at the opposite end and visa versa.
Good luck its not a nice thing to experience (i would check the front pinch bolts as well)

Just a week a go I had a similar although brief symptom happening to the Yamaha XT660r (and heavily laden) with Heide´s fitted. Turned out to be a slow puncture in the rear. Obviously not your scenario as you´d have noticed but one for others to keep an eye out for.

Have you checked the teller lever balljoint?

I think that's the fella. It looks like there is a small split in the gaitor and some very fine mud has got in. Not surprising really as the shit we rode through was nasty.

We had a good check of everything and generally yanked and tapped everything and all was good. I think we must have dislodged the dirt in the ball joint as a test ride had cleared up the problem. Will put loads of WD40 around teh joint and then get a new gaitor and get it chacked out down at Santa Rosa BMW in a couple of weeks

Fingers crossed that has solved it and thanks for everyones input.

I replaced my top steering bearing when the subframe was powder coated.
Considering how unloaded it is compared to "normal" forks, I was surprised to find the bearing had tight spots. It would have been knotchy soon enough.

It had done 50K miles virtually none off road.

Sent via iPhone so expect strange words

A tight bearing would do it, I know tight head races on conventional forks cause weaves.

A tight bearing would do it, I know tight head races on conventional forks cause weaves.

Cars have a large mass with a small percentage of steered mass.
Bikes are closer to being articulated vehicles and they use steering to keep upright. The steering has to be much more accurate. Stiff steering foils the self centring castor effect, the rider over corrects and a weave develops.
Those with normal forks will weave a lot more easily than a bike that separates braking and suspension forces.

Sent via iPhone so expect strange words

Have you checked the teller lever balljoint?

I think that's the fella. It looks like there is a small split in the gaitor and some very fine mud has got in. Not surprising really as the shit we rode through was nasty.

We had a good check of everything and generally yanked and tapped everything and all was good. I think we must have dislodged the dirt in the ball joint as a test ride had cleared up the problem. Will put loads of WD40 around teh joint and then get a new gaitor and get it chacked out down at Santa Rosa BMW in a couple of weeks

Fingers crossed that has solved it and thanks for everyones input.

Awesome ... I'll PM you the address to send my prize to .. :D

Back
Top Bottom