Anyone dropped GS with vario panniers on?

G&T

“OK sweet heart... just one last ride”
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondered how the support points hold up? After market touratech's etc have the full metal mounts, so will take the brunt. However I was wondering about the vario's? Any real world experience out there?

Loads of times on my 1200, mostly off road; the boxes were well bashed up when I eventually sold it but still worked and the mounts were fine.
I also threw a 650 down the road at 70, one pannier ground away but the mounts were fine.

I rate them as the best panniers/system going and best of all there's no ugly scaffolding on the bike when you take them off :)

Andres

Yes dropped mine with vario panniers on road due to forgetting side stand! Bike was fully loaded. Bit of damage to internal mechanism of pannier but mounting points were fine. I'm still embarrassed about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropped mine when I stalled at an up hill junction 2up only scratched the panniers and broke the front indicator!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Seems that the mounting points, in particular the one on the pillion footrest, is stronger than I thought. I believed it would snap or cave in when dropped, but seems not. Yes, I prefer the less scaffolding option, so good that the vario's will be with me for a while. Cheers Glenn

Wet Slate

Hit some wet slate in a Spanish village at 5mph. 2 up - Fell over - bike balanced on engine bar and corner of pannier - very small scratches but no other bike damage. Elbow swelled up good even with armour on.

Don't know if the mounts are different on the LC models, but mine took a beating when I got knocked off in February. Took it off to check everything, and apart from scratches it was all fine. This was in the closed position, as I rarely need to use them expanded, but the mechanism still works perfectly. Much tougher than I thought they'd be. :thumb
Mark

Dropped mine whilst stopped in France about 2 years ago. Both the top fittings of the plastic pannier broke. Was able to use some straps I had to hold the pannier in place and continue. Then replaced the 'outer' part of the Vario once home.

Dropped mine today........ slight dip in the car park, 2 up, didn't put foot down far enough, down like a sack of potatoes. :blast

Damage to bike........ Scuffed engine bar, all else seems ok. Bike was lying on engine bar and pannier.

Damage to me......... Visit to A&E, displaced Acromisclavicular on left shoulder.

I thought I was the only bigger to drop one, seems I am not . No damage other than torn ligaments and pride

Dropped mine today........ slight dip in the car park, 2 up, didn't put foot down far enough, down like a sack of potatoes. :blast

Damage to bike........ Scuffed engine bar, all else seems ok. Bike was lying on engine bar and pannier.

Damage to me......... Visit to A&E, displaced Acromisclavicular on left shoulder.

And what did your pillion call you? Hope you mend soon :thumb

And what did your pillion call you? Hope you mend soon :thumb

She wasn't too impressed, but at least I was able to ride home, and then she drove me to clinic.

One thing I did notice, lots of smoke from exhaust for first 2 or 3km, oil must have got sucked into a cylinder. The bike was laying with the wheels higher than the seat for a couple of minutes while we sorted ourselves out for the 'lift'.

Note the lump sticking up on my l/h shoulder. Pushed back in place, and lots of strapping.

Attachments

• 20160727_103839_resized.jpg
    20160727_103839_resized.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 281
Been there, done that

Was pushing back out of garage, I tripped & it went over on top of me & engine bar landed on my foot.

No damage to bike at all

Back
Top Bottom