Austrian police - On the spot fines - Fact or fiction?

From the numerous times I have ridden in Austria and from speaking to local cops in the area I usually stay the chances are you will only get stopped and undergo further scrutiny if you are riding like a tw*t and bringing attention to yourself for speeding in villages.

Also like cops all around the world what happens next is usually down to whether you pass or fail the attitude test , it never ceases to amaze how someone clearly at fault and committing riding/driving offences especially speeding within towns can take afront and play the c*nt and talk themselves up from a simple bollocking or speeding ticket to a court appearance and to even being locked up.

Couple of times this year and last summer I have been riding through 50 kmph limits in Austrian villages and there have been cops with a speed gun out, both times travelling I was under the limit and gave them a nod as I rode past and was acknowledged with a polite wave

.... if you are riding like a tw*t and bringing attention to yourself

Where does hooning on an otherwise standard F800R with an Akra exhaust (with the baffle out) on a deserted (other than a standard FireBlade and a standard Speed Triple) river valley gorge road at about 17:30 fit in that scale?

(a) Twatish?

(b) Speeding?

(c) Anti-social

(d) All three?

(e) Giving it the beans in a 'spirited way' and nobody got hurt?

(f) Summat else?

Where does hooning on an otherwise standard F800R with an Akra exhaust (with the baffle out) on a deserted (other than a standard FireBlade and a standard Speed Triple) river valley gorge road at about 17:30 fit in that scale?

(a) Twatish?

(b) Speeding?

(c) Anti-social

(d) All three?

(e) Giving it the beans in a 'spirited way' and nobody got hurt?

(f) Summat else?

Since you got fined for that exhaust I think its (C) Anti social. Does not removing the baffle to make more noise come under the heading of drawing attention to yourself? As the baffle had been taken out you were breaking the law, you got caught, you paid the fine. Get over it.

John

...you were breaking the law, you got caught, you paid the fine. Get over it.

I did, very quickly.... as we hooned away even faster, having been delayed from our supper by the Austrian feds..... I paid the postal fine, with good grace, too.

Others might have struggled or just said "Feck 'em" when they got home. Me? I'm different.

Well if a UK car was caught on a gatso camera here in Ireland it would not be followed up at all. I think the concept of "Pick the fight you can win" works here. However if you are in a foreign plated car speeding (serious speed) and are caught by a cop (radar etc) then you will be arrested and brought before a judge.

the old fart went to tipp to visit family and was done by a camera in 03 i think the fine folowed him home and he got 2 point on his imaginary irish licence :D

like here if you get to 12 they take it off you

i was stopped on the bike fifteen years ago by an garda siochana on the n8 and only got a warning as 'yellow plate means paperwork' :D

They're quite keen with the on the spot fines: They pulled me out of a line of traffic for speeding. I pointed out to them that they had neither pulled the car in front or behind with Austrian registration numbers and asked if it was some kind of tourist tax, where they seemed to lose interest in and pulled another motorcycle in.
I just rode away.

:nenau

I can only begin to imagine how you "pointed out to them" :aidan:aidan:aidan:rob:rob

CHRIS
"Wor Arr eh Pet
Ya canny do that loik
wor onay gannin 96 mile an our loik pet
yous arl bastids an arl
wor jackie niva got din loik this afore
worra aboot arl dem aussie bastids"

COPPER
"Fooken das innit"

Just out of interest, is your exhaust legal in the UK (or wherever your bike is registered, if not the UK)? I'll be heading back through Austria later in the year and it would be nice to know what to expect.

I, along with two friends, was stopped in Austria and given notice that I would be referred for possible a possible fine for having a non-standard, non-compliant exhaust.

About a month later fine landed on my mat at home. I paid it.

I can only begin to imagine how you "pointed out to them" :aidan:aidan:aidan:rob:rob

CHRIS
"Wor Arr eh Pet
Ya canny do that loik
yous arl bastids an arl

COPPER
"Fooken das innit"

In German....EDIT: Actually I thought it was German, the Plodden SS probably thought "Wer ist dieses gibbering idioten?" and went for an easier target....

:beerjug:

Just out of interest, is your exhaust legal in the UK (or wherever your bike is registered, if not the UK)? I'll be heading back through Austria later in the year and it would be nice to know what to expect.

It's illegal everywhere within the EU and no doubt a few places more.

What is it that you are bothered about, exactly?

PS Like all motoring offences, it's only illegal if you get caught.

I'm not bothered, really, but I was wondering how this works with our European neighbours. For example, if my vehicle is perfectly legal in my home country, where the vehicle is registered, taxed and insured, can foreign (EU) plod nick me for something on the vehicle which doesn't comply with their local in-country laws. And if so, why, if I'm only passing through and not importing the vehicle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stop worrying. You'll be fine. Nobody will catch you doing anything.... And if they do, you'll know why then.

I'm not bothered, really, but I was wondering how this works with our European neighbours. For example, if my vehicle is perfectly legal in my home country, where the vehicle is registered, taxed and insured, can foreign (EU) plod nick me for something on the vehicle which doesn't comply with their local in-country laws. And if so, why, if I'm only passing through and not importing the vehicle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While we remain in the EU, if it is meets the requirements in one member country (that's us) it is fine in all others. Member countries can and do have their own legislation (like the French hp limit) but these cannot be applied to visitors. So my GS was legal in Austria with the cat removed up until the point I registered it there and then to comply with Austrian laws I had to fit the cat , this I did once a year for the test! Had I used the bike in the Tirol I suspect I would have been pulled but southern Austria is another place altogether.

John

CHRIS
"Wor Arr eh Pet
Ya canny do that loik
yous arl bastids an arl

COPPER
"Fooken das innit"

very good Norm

Back
Top Bottom