Help please......Stealth 2 ?

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I would like a camera to take along on a trip to the Alps.
Considering a Stealth 2 drift. Has anyone got any experience or views on this?
Can the battery be recharged whilst you are using it? Does not having a replaceable battery cause issues with recording time etc.
If doing a longish trip like this, do you need lots of memory cards ??
Lots of questions, but new to this
Thanks

I used a Drift Ghost S last year touring some of Europe and kept in powered from a battery pack in my tank bag which was being constantly charged from a 12V outlet I mounted at the front of my GSA. The battery should last 3 hours but I preferred to keep in charged as I was videoing on and off all day. Plus I used the remote control on my right forearm and kept it charging too (I found out, the hard way, its battery only lasts about 3 hours too). I used a 32GB card and there was loads of space left (depends how much filming you do, obviously) but, this year, I'm carrying a spare just incase.

how big an sd card you will need, will depend not only how long you record but also at what resolution you record at and what bitrate and fps used. i use 64gb cards and have filled one in a day, you will only need lots of cards if you have no way of transfering data from your card to another form of storage like a laptop or netbook or external hdd, or you run the camera all day. get the highest spec cards you can class 10 or better, 32gb would be a good size as certain cameras dont like 64gb, and beware there are fake cards about.
just for reference, At high bit rate 1080p@60fps 15 minutes = roughly 4Gb so an hour would be half your 32gb card.

I've tried using my Drift remote whilst charging it but found it buggers about with the colour coding so it's difficult to tell if you are recording or not.

I have a drift ghost and Stealth 2.

Ghost S can be used in DVR mode and can obviously therefore be used whilst charging. It comes with the back plate with holes for the mini-USB and Mic. The Stealth 2 does not have such a replacement rear cover. Not sure it works when charging but even if it does it's a micro-USB so not sure how secure it would be and it would not fair well foul weather without the rear cover.

I like the Stealth 2 as a helmet cam for commutes as it's so small and discrete. I put the Ghost on the bike for cool angled shots using a clamp or as a permanent DVR cam for longer trips. If I remember correctly the remote doesn't work when charging but it lasts ages anyway. I don't use the remote very often but when I do its only in tagging mode when on trips. Not having a replaceable battery in the Stealth 2 is a bit shit IMO as it's a bit limiting but it lasts quite a while, which is fine for most commutes.

If you're going to ride all day long and want to record all day long get a ghost and use it in tagging mode either connected to the bike or changing the battery (good 3rd party batteries and 12v charges are available). If you only want to record for a few hours at a time and want a small camera get the Stealth 2.

If you really want to record all day and every day you'll need plenty of external storage... and end up with loads of boring stuff you'll never use or watch again. My advice is to use tagging mode and just keep the best bits then a single 32gb class 10 mini SD will do fine and you can put only the best stuff on your data storage device at the end of each day.

I have a drift ghost and Stealth 2.

Ghost S can be used in DVR mode and can obviously therefore be used whilst charging. It comes with the back plate with holes for the mini-USB and Mic. The Stealth 2 does not have such a replacement rear cover. Not sure it works when charging but even if it does it's a micro-USB so not sure how secure it would be and it would not fair well foul weather without the rear cover.

I like the Stealth 2 as a helmet cam for commutes as it's so small and discrete. I put the Ghost on the bike for cool angled shots using a clamp or as a permanent DVR cam for longer trips. If I remember correctly the remote doesn't work when charging but it lasts ages anyway. I don't use the remote very often but when I do its only in tagging mode when on trips. Not having a replaceable battery in the Stealth 2 is a bit shit IMO as it's a bit limiting but it lasts quite a while, which is fine for most commutes.

If you're going to ride all day long and want to record all day long get a ghost and use it in tagging mode either connected to the bike or changing the battery (good 3rd party batteries and 12v charges are available). If you only want to record for a few hours at a time and want a small camera get the Stealth 2.

If you really want to record all day and every day you'll need plenty of external storage... and end up with loads of boring stuff you'll never use or watch again. My advice is to use tagging mode and just keep the best bits then a single 32gb class 10 mini SD will do fine and you can put only the best stuff on your data storage device at the end of each day.

Thank you Stephen, some great information

Thank you Stephen, some great information

I've got a Stealth 2 and Stephen's got it spot on. Cracking camera but limitations showed up on my recent ten day trip to Scotland with long days on endlessly stunning roads.

I'll keep using it for track days and sunday rides on the Blade, but I'm looking at powered options with loop recording and other bits to go on the GSA.

Try a Garmin Virb, can be bike powered so no need to carry any spare batteries. Got a 64 card which will give 11 hrs recording on 720 or nearly 5 hrs
on 1080

Just had a 26 day trip around Alsaka and Canada on some fairly rough roads at times and the unit never missed a beat.

Better than anything that I have used before so far

+1 on the drift s I have the cam mounted on my lid (top) always Carrie a spair bat on charge I use a 64gb card and as I have never filled it up even on a 10 hr run would recommend one

Thanks for all the info Guys.
So when you've finally got your footage and you want to edit it, what's the best way to do that ?

I use Windows Movie maker, it's free and quite simple. You can split video into small sections, add them together, put backing music to them and add photos.

So when you've finally got your footage and you want to edit it, what's the best way to do that ?

I've used Windows Movie Maker in the past as well as Sony Vegas but the latter is considerably more advanced. I've used iMovie on the Mac, which is simple but Premiere Pro is the more advanced editing software. The basic software is usually sufficient for most people, which can do quite a lot - but keep it simple, overuse of transitions and various filters/layers can make your video look naff. If you want higher production values and a more professional look you'll need more advanced editing packages like those mentioned.

Pay a teenager

Back
Top Bottom