Which headlight guard

Heres a couple of pics with the touratech 'grill' type guard at night. With, and Without. You can see the shadows it casts but it doesnt bother me.

Attachments

• 14725721_10157645620035341_364346980530431512_n.jpg
    14725721_10157645620035341_364346980530431512_n.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 699
  • 14671130_10157645619565341_7061730315973810842_n.jpg
    14671130_10157645619565341_7061730315973810842_n.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 716
  • 14650254_10157645619635341_2683926844142954092_n.jpg
    14650254_10157645619635341_2683926844142954092_n.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 714
Heres a couple of pics with the touratech 'grill' type guard at night. With, and Without. You can see the shadows it casts but it doesnt bother me.

The shadow didn't really bother me on my F800GS and doesn't bother me on my GSA LC. FYI, you can get matching Touratech guards for the OEM spots... bit pricey but they're great looking and alleviate any OCD.

I fitted the BMW one this week and it's great - beam unaffected, only £75 and full protection. Says off road use only though but :blagblah

One thing that may swing it for some though is the fitting. To fit the BMW one, you have to fit these arms underneath the light and take out the whole unit. Not sure about other guard manufacturers, but this involves taking a tiny clip off of a washer with no line of sight or space for your fingers.

Option 1 - needle nose 90 degree pliers and a hell of a lot of luck
Option 2 - take the beak off and front GS side panel and needle nose 90 degree pliers and a hell of a lot of luck

In short, there's a lot to be said for guards that DON'T require removal of the headlight as if thats the case at any point, you'll be meeting Mr Washer and his clip friend.

I fitted the BMW one this week and it's great - beam unaffected, only £75 and full protection. Says off road use only though but :blagblah

One thing that may swing it for some though is the fitting. To fit the BMW one, you have to fit these arms underneath the light and take out the whole unit. Not sure about other guard manufacturers, but this involves taking a tiny clip off of a washer with no line of sight or space for your fingers.

Option 1 - needle nose 90 degree pliers and a hell of a lot of luck
Option 2 - take the beak off and front GS side panel and needle nose 90 degree pliers and a hell of a lot of luck

In short, there's a lot to be said for guards that DON'T require removal of the headlight as if thats the case at any point, you'll be meeting Mr Washer and his clip friend.

How long did it take you to fit. Would it be worth putting into dealers to have done on new bike?

Touratech clear one done the treat for me. Easy enough to install. Ali express have copies
Bottom 35 quid

7ed26177a9cb7011aeea4638bd2fddbf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I went for the GoGravel version.... on looks alone it ticked all of my boxes. :drool

Simple to fix and simple to remove for cleaning. (oh, btw, I don't use the orange coloured perspex as that looks crap :barf)

Attachments

• Go Gravel HLP.jpg
    Go Gravel HLP.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 646
+1 for the fold down Wunderlict one. I have the BMW optional little wing that fits under the front beam so my initial led fogs can be mounted. The 2 supplied M8 bolts aren't long enough if you have the wing fitted. You need some M8 that are 25 mm long.
Very happy with the protector.

Why dont you just remove the guard when riding in dark?

Just received one of these.
Not fitted it yet but looks the part, ordered on 6th April and arrived this morning.

I got the clear plastic perspex one from "emily" as well, took me a while to work out the bung to bracket bit:blast but happy now with the end result.

Mine needs a bit of bending to get it to snap on easily, I've got it fitted but could be tweaked a bit, other than that great value.

I've had Cymarc's clear thick perspex one on from new on my 1200 GSA.
Great piece of kit.
Its a very basic design - but works for me.

Bit fiddly to remove and clean but hey I'm not pedantic about how clean my bike is :D
I've had comments it looks good, chunky and well made - like the bike!
I'm sure I had to use a longer hex head bolt somewhere on the instal which was not supplied - it was a while ago!

So far no cracks and paint is holding up well.
I have an LED headlamp and you do get a tiny bit of reflect back at night - not enough to annoy, the lights power and intensity does not seem to be affected by the guard.
I'm a bike MOT tester, the next bike I get to do I will put my bike onto the light box and report back.

Hand made in UK too :clap

Cheers Ian

Last edited:
An update with my experience with XPEL headlight protector film - I ordered the pre cut headlight protector film from the Xpel USA website, cost $10 + $15 shipping, it took 3 days to come from the states (!!!!), no extra tax lucky. It is a perfect fit, very easy to fit with water, soap, rubbing alcohol.

I just used headlight protector film as well, as none of the guards on the mkt appeal; and whilst I want to avoid scratches I'm not sure I've seen any recorded incidences of the screens actually being broken/chipped? Did 10k without a screen on the old bike and it didn't get any kind of chipping. Would be a different matter if I were doing anything more than fire roads in terms of off-road.

Have a look at this (geesexr) a member of the Forum.

Good quality and can also be etched to suit your bike.

Not sure of his website but I'm sure you can trace him through the forum

Just had a look. Its on the Bike Related items For Sale section with the headline of (Headlight guards for your GS)

Very reasonably priced and good quality

Have a look at this (geesexr) a member of the Forum.

Good quality and can also be etched to suit your bike.

Not sure of his website but I'm sure you can trace him through the forum

Just had a look. Its on the Bike Related items For Sale section with the headline of (Headlight guards for your GS)

Very reasonably priced and good quality

I bought a couple of these a few weeks ago. They look great.

Hint: if you get the GS logo etched, when you remove the white plastic protective film it looks quite good (on a white bike, especially) to leave the white film in place in the logo. However, the first time you use full beam when riding at night, it reflects up off the inside of the screen and means you can't see any thing else! So remove ALL the film. :D

Back
Top Bottom