Collector boxes - Really good news

That's what I thought, in which case there are better solutions unless you want originality.

Well that's put the cat amongst the pigeons !:eek: My five day jaunt around northern France with my Keihan 'Y' piece will obviously be an utter rubbish ride !:D
Interesting thread though as the OE boxes will outlive most ownerships of their GS's are excellent for mid-range etc.

That's what I thought, in which case there are better solutions unless you want originality.

Id agree with you if both the collector box and silencer are being replaced. Your properly designed y piece and dissipative silencer is the way to go but the sound isn't for everyone (same with the expensive Zach and moorespeed systems)

The problem on the gs is the collector is more than just a collector, it's an integral part of the exhaust system and is an expansion muffler in its own right (BMW call it a muffler), it forms part of a reactive exhaust system. by fitting a y piece onto a gs silencer is effectively trying to force a reactive silencer to operate as a dissipative system which is never going to work properly.

In an ideal world the gs collector box would be stainless

Well that's put the cat amongst the pigeons !:eek: My five day jaunt around northern France with my Keihan 'Y' piece will obviously be an utter rubbish ride !:D.

When you roll the throttle on at 5k and it feels like the powers starting to roll in. It isn't running well at all it's just clawed its way out of a huge hole in the midrange that's supping loads of fuel, clogging the bike up actually reducing performance

When you roll the throttle on at 5k and it feels like the powers starting to roll in. It isn't running well at all it's just clawed its way out of a huge hole in the midrange that's supping loads of fuel, clogging the bike up actually reducing performance

Welcome to my world (G/S tho):rolleyes:

Id agree with you if both the collector box and silencer are being replaced. Your properly designed y piece and dissipative silencer is the way to go but the sound isn't for everyone (same with the expensive Zach and moorespeed systems)

The problem on the gs is the collector is more than just a collector, it's an integral part of the exhaust system and is an expansion muffler in its own right (BMW call it a muffler), it forms part of a reactive exhaust system. by fitting a y piece onto a gs silencer is effectively trying to force a reactive silencer to operate as a dissipative system which is never going to work properly.

In an ideal world the gs collector box would be stainless

So are there alternative solutions to the Zach/Moorespeed/Siebenrock systems - not necessarily stainless?

Duncan (Arkwright) has had a system made up by a local exhaust company, they've made a really nice y piece for him. I'm sure there are plenty of other alternatives.

The problem I have with them is in my opinion (for what it's worth) is they don't sound good. The 1100 engine is the same. Do away with the central collector box and fit a Remus (or any other pipe) and they drone - drives you mad on a run. They also run much better with a collector box.

I can see I'm ending up as the old fart purist who only think is things should be standard. Nothing could be further from the truth in reality. If anybody can come up with a solution that looks good, works well and sounds ok I'll be first in line.

That's interesting Rob, the note is somewhat deeper than the original which I found very raspy and often fell apart inside as they're only mild steel.

Nigel Parker that made my system use to be the development man at Scorpion and is good and does things at a sensible price.

My GSPD runs so much smoother than when it had the Kiehan T piece but I've also still got the balance pipe which whilst I don't like the look of, makes a difference.

Are you running the original or revised jetting?

As far as I am aware I am runnnng the standard US jetting (ex usa bike) which I understand is a tad leaner than Europen models. Also the rear silencer is a Keinhan original oem style but the down pipies and G/S style collector box are an unknown stainless not great quality version (but look like a simile of the original system). I do need to get on top of the carbs/exhaust, was thinking of pulling and rejetting the carbs to Europe spec and replacing the non Keihan bits to Keihan and see where we go. Maybe.

I can see I'm ending up as the old fart purist who only think is things should be standard. Nothing could be further from the truth in reality. If anybody can come up with a solution that looks good, works well and sounds ok I'll be first in line.

PLus 1 to that for me too

I ran this bike for a few years. Full keihin exhaust system (including silencer) with uk jetting. It ran well until you loaded it up at which point it just ran out of steam but then every 80 I've owned has been like that.

article3.jpg

It's seems to me that many big twins from other manufacturers use a 2 into 2 or 2 into 1 into 2 system. I know the requirements of a 916 or SP1 are different to a gs but a 916 ain't short of low down grunt. I've always liked the look of the Gaston Rahier PD setup too. I wonder if someone like Arkwrights chap could come up with something well designed to work with a boxer rather than a v or parallel twin.

Back
Top Bottom