DL650 V Strom

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Spent the last few days fitting bits to the basic ex demo boke I bought this week
Baglux, headlight protectors, GIVI top box plate and pannier rails, fruity exhaust and hand guards
Just waiting in sat nav mount, engine bars and sump guard

image_zpswtcetwfi.jpeg

image_zpsxd71plvx.jpeg

image_zpswsm2arna.jpeg

Forgot to add that i bought a used seat on ebay which is currently with Tony Archer for a resculpt. I will post pics when i get it back.
If the wife is happy on pillion, which I think she will be, i may just sell my rather lovely, but feeling heavier with every year, 1100.

Great bikes mine has an MRA screen which is excellent as it multi adjustable. I've been holding out on the accessories and farkling till I've done more miles. One of the only thing I miss from the bigger bikes is the extra height they give you the v strom sits a bit too low for my liking. Great on fuel though 68 mpg and that's not trying . They feel modern compared to the 1100 and I enjoy the dash with gear position etc.

With the engine bars I find they create a vibration at certain speeds either 60 or 70 I can't remember.

How long have you had it. Is the transalp going/gone too ?

Mate of mine has one and we have been away on two occasions to both Northern Germany and the Alps and it never ceases to amaze how well it goes, its mpg and how well it handles the twisty bits

Great bikes mine has an MRA screen which is excellent as it multi adjustable. I've been holding out on the accessories and farkling till I've done more miles. One of the only thing I miss from the bigger bikes is the extra height they give you the v strom sits a bit too low for my liking. Great on fuel though 68 mpg and that's not trying . They feel modern compared to the 1100 and I enjoy the dash with gear position etc.

With the engine bars I find they create a vibration at certain speeds either 60 or 70 I can't remember.

How long have you had it. Is the transalp going/gone too ?

Had it just over a week. I have now fitted the Heed crash bars and sump guard. They are extremely well made. Took it to work today at speeds up to 80 and didn't notice any vibrations from them. I also have my Wolfman tank panniers fitted which work quite well with the bars. I Will take some more pics. Fitted some risers tonight that will make a big difference. Still waiting on my Givi airflow screen. I have found the stock suspension and handling way better than expected. The wife and are taking a trip to the new museum at David Silvers in Leiston over the next week fully kitted as a bit of a shake down before ourvSpain trip.

Had a mini break in Suffolk with the wife on board over the weekend and covered 249 miles. I just filled the bike up with 16.88 litres. That works out at 67mpg. OK, a lot of time was spent pootling around country roads, but some was spent on dual carriageway at higher speeds. The tank holds 20 litres which gives a range of 295 miles. I am very satisfied with that. Even more amazing is that the bikes computer was telling me we averaged 68mpg, so only one out! The bike was great two up and the wife manage 2 1/2 hours without a break although her bum was hurting a bit by then. Hopefully the Tony Archer seat will improve this aspect. The only other issue, something mentioned on the forums, was the proximity of the pillion pegs to the panniers. I had already bought some SW Motech adjustable pegs so they are now fitted and the problem solved. Very happy bunny.

Had one. Did two 2-up trips to the South of France, all over the Pyrenees. Fully laden with luggage.
Bike sailed through it. Averaged +65mpg.
Did 30,000 miles in 3 years.
Faultless.

Had one of the mk1 models - quicker than you'd think, never went wrong and super comfy. Traded it in for a temperamental, costly to service Multistrada which I preferred. Go figure

Hi Mark, I was wondering how you are finding the Suzuki? I noticed you've decided to keep your 1100gs.

My reason for the interest is I've an 1100gs actually it's my 3rd one and have been thinking of maybes getting something lighter, previously I owned a 650 versys which was a good bike. Currently I'm torn between keeping my gs or buying a new versys or maybe a vstrom and was interested in your view of the 650 with your experience of the 1100.

Im in the same mindset hear. Sold the R12 GS and looking for something lighter, easier to haul around.
Tried the Tracer, Triumph XR, Honda AT, Honda CB500 and the Versy 650 and 1000. And although the V1000 is my fav. at the moment it is a similar weight to the GS, it just doesn't feel that way at all. and the 650 comes in second place.
The CB500 was first class but when the lovely Helen (7.5 Stone soaking wet) Fancies a spin, Well not sure its up to the job. Two adults bit of weekend gear?? Hair drier, Make up, 5 or 6 pairs of shoes etc. Then there's Helens stuff.

Hi Mark, any more thoughts on the bike, did the Archer seat improve things?

Hi Mark, any more thoughts on the bike, did the Archer seat improve things?

The wife and I did a 16 day trip to Spain in September and we averaged high 60s mpg the whole time. We covered about 2K miles in total and I never had to adjust the chain, in fact it seems to the same as it was when we set off. I never felt short changed on power. Very impressed with it. It is currently tucked up at the end of the garage as I will be keeping it primarily for two up trips. I have three other roadworthy bikes for solo stuff, including my 1100. The Tony Archer seat didn`t seem to improve things for the wife so I splashed out on a couple of Airhawk cushions and put the original seat back on. I might sell the Tony Archer seat as there is not a lot of point having that and then putting an Airhawk on it.
I reckon this has to be the best budget long distance bike you can get. They can be bought new for £5.5K. Mine was an ex demo 2014 model with 2.5K miles on it and I picked it up for just under £4K.

That's all good to know, thanks. I'm considering one of the new versions out in spring 2017 for a couple of trips I'm thinking of, although here "budget" is not a word that applies to any vehicles so it's likely to cost around £10,000. Resale values are good though so when the time comes I'd be able to sell it for more than a new UK model! The only other question is whether I'd fit, at 6'4" I find it hard to stay comfortable on most bikes on long trips.

There certainly isn`t as much seat to peg distance as on a GS, but you could get the seat built up a bit I guess if it is an issue.

Stick some skateboard wheels on the bottom rear corners of that top box and it will double as a wheelie bar. You might need it if you fill the box! :rob

Expat, a higher seat is available & peg lowering kits are cheap & effective.

I'm 6'2'' ish and find it very comfortable with stock seat.

I had one when I lived in Naples and loved the engine as well as the economy. I did a few 2 up weekend trips and it coped admirably. Only issue I had was the fork seemed pretty splindly but overall an impressive package and great value for money.

Stick some skateboard wheels on the bottom rear corners of that top box and it will double as a wheelie bar. You might need it if you fill the box! :rob

It rarely has much in it when on the move. I use it when parked up to put both helmets and other odds and sods inside.

peg lowering kits are cheap & effective.

Now you mention it....I actually have a peg lowering kit I bought before the Spain trip and never fitted. As I was fine in Spain I will never fit it, so if anybody wants it let me know and I will sort out a price!

Back
Top Bottom