GS to XR

Good move, you won't regret it.

I have a red XR, and have a GSA coming at the end of the month!:D

chopped my GS in for an XR two weeks ago, OMFG its a missile that handles like a dream, comfortable to ride and can embarrass more than a few sports bikes.

Enjoy!

Gs to Xr

Swapped my gsa for an Xr and woooooooooow what a bit of kit at little bit of vibration but I,m informed that it smooths out as you put the miles on, put the dino pro chip in and even better handles like a dream my only criticism is your always looking for another gear but having said that so far so good and got a big grin on my face

Its all subjective, but to me its the perfect bike. Yes it could take another gear or two, but thats just because its such a peach of an engine :bounce1

I found the suspension on the xr just far too stiff for road riding, yes it's a missile but compared to the gs it's an inferior all round bike. If money was no object I'd have one of each but personally wouldn't have one over the gs.

I found the suspension on the xr just far too stiff for road riding, yes it's a missile but compared to the gs it's an inferior all round bike. If money was no object I'd have one of each but personally wouldn't have one over the gs.

I disagree with your comment that it is an inferior all round bike. The XR certainly trumps the GS in a number of departments. I've owned 3 x GSs in the past so may be able to offer a more balanced view. It all depends what type of riding you mainly do. If it is trail/off-road/round the world riding then the GS is the better steed. However, if it is road/adventure travel then the XR is the better option. The suspension issue you mention can easily be adjusted to suit the road conditions. The comfort, speed and exhilaration offered by the XR beats the GS hands down. I now ride around with a permanent grin on my face as opposed to a GS smile. If I could afford a second bike then it too would be a GS. :)

I try and expalin the difference in this way

If you are going to the Picos for a week or 2 ( other mountain ranges are available) the GS will get you there superbly well in better comfort than the XR and once there will give you some smiles on the mountain roads with no drama. The XR will get you to the Picos reasonably well but once there will deliver so much more fun and exhilaration than the GS.

That to me is the difference and why the XR is the better bike of the 2 for me

Tried the XR it's not comfy enough 2 up compared to the GS

I'm curious about wind protection on the XR. It may be more fun (can't argue with that) but for a 400 mile day , is it possible ?

Tried the XR it's not comfy enough 2 up compared to the GS

Did you really need to ride one to work that out? Just look at the seats on both models.

I'm curious about wind protection on the XR. It may be more fun (can't argue with that) but for a 400 mile day , is it possible ?

I've had a few 400 mile days with the standard screen on mine, and it's fine. I'll raise it for any motorway/ dual carriageway drags, then lower it the rest of the time. As the bike has been out a while now, there are quite a few aftermarket options as well.:thumb

The XR is in deed a great bike but it is flawed and thats why I didn't buy it

It is unacceptable that it has vibration, it may get better when run in, but thats pants ! If you buy one and are happy, good for you.

It has a chain and therefore is inherently a PITA

All the stuff about excitement is great, but a GS beater in the real world it isn't, its a weekend warrior and if thats what you want its better than a GS/A, otherwise its no better than the KTM/Ducati.

But it does have a place

No I didn't but the salesman tried to convince me it would be good for 2 ,BMW do market the XR as a tourer I was just hoping it was going to be a replacement for my 2012 ZZR 1400 .I ended buying a new Gs and keeping my 2012 ZZR

Went over the top with the 2012 bit !

The XR is in deed a great bike but it is flawed and thats why I didn't buy it

It is unacceptable that it has vibration, it may get better when run in, but thats pants ! If you buy one and are happy, good for you.

It has a chain and therefore is inherently a PITA

All the stuff about excitement is great, but a GS beater in the real world it isn't, its a weekend warrior and if thats what you want its better than a GS/A, otherwise its no better than the KTM/Ducati.

But it does have a place

I agree, if I could afford both I would. But for me on the daily commute and general all round use it was to focussed on sport and too many vibes. I kept mine for 7 months and 8000 miles, but in the end it had to go, when I got back onboard my new GSA it was like putting on a comfy pair of your favourite slippers now 12000 miles later I'm still loving the GSA.

Terry

I think the vibe issue is totally overrated. I have a 2016 XR. Prior to my purchase I test rode the XR at length & was totally blown away with it. I rode the demo bike all day and did not notice any prohibitive vibration issues. However, I did not ride it for prolonged periods on motorways/dual carriageways at a constant speed setting. So to obviate the reported vibration issues that I had read about, I purchased a set of heavier Evotech bar ends and fitted them from new. In the time that I have had my bike which now includes motorway/dual carriageway riding, I have not experienced any intrusive vibrations issues whatsoever.
To anyone considering the XR and who have been put off by the vibration reports, do yourself a favour and take a demo bike out from your local dealer and make up your own opinion. I guarantee you'll have a hoot!

Back
Top Bottom