In and out of Chamonix?

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok,I shouldn't be asking this but I only have phone and crap Internet!!

I'm heading up to St Malo from Lake Garda in the morning and have had to change plans with tomorrow's stopover now in Chamonix.
I've done more passes and hairpins in the last 1800 miles than ever before so will be basically mile munching on motor way to Chamonix and then to Moulins the next day.
Now I've done the RDGA but not been to Chamonix so simple question for entering in sat nav- where and when should I come off motorways and hit the twisties tomorrow and similarly when I leave Chamonix, is there a great pass I can take before mile munching?

Sorry Wapping,sir but laptop at home and I'm flagging 😇

Sent from this Android pile of shite using Bolloxchat

If I've understood you correctly and you want the most direct route...it looks like you'll go through the Mont Blanc tunnel and as you exit, Chamonix is pretty much in front of you. You'll be at the start of the N205 and need the D1506 into Chamonix

Not quite!!

Obviously my sat nav can get me in and out but I was thinking it must be worth breaking off the mile munching early and enter and exit Chamonix via twisties / up and over a Col or two? Or is its location not inviting such?

3 routes in. One via the tunnel, one via Switzerland to the East and one from the West via France. Best option to you looks to be head north from Aosta over a Col (Hospice du Grand Saint Bernard ?) towards Orsieres and then keep dropping down and then a left towards Argentieres and onto Chamonix.
You'd be on the A4 for miles pretty much from Lake Garda, then the E25 as far as Aosta and then the SS27 over the col. 350 mile total, perhaps 210-220 motorway and the rest on the col roads.

Worked well!! Blasted up autostrada as far as Aosta then followed SS27 over Passo Gran San Bernado then good old 590 set to 'curvy roads ' took me over Col des Planches which was fabulous then finally Col du Forclaz and up into Chamonix

Worked well!! Blasted up autostrada as far as Aosta then followed SS27 over Passo Gran San Bernado then good old 590 set to 'curvy roads ' took me over Col des Planches which was fabulous then finally Col du Forclaz and up into Chamonix

I think he's starting to get it.

Back
Top Bottom