British Columbia: bike shipping & insurance

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m looking at a trip to Oregon and British Columbia in 2017 and the biggest decision (aside from route) is whether to ship my bike or rent out there. I’d obviously prefer to use my own bike but hiring does look significantly cheaper as I’m only going to be there for a couple of weeks. If I do decide to ship my own bike I’ve ruled out return shipping by sea from Los Angeles so the cheapest option (excluding the current Air Canada deal which only runs until September this year) seems to be motorcycle express who are quoting 2790USD for return shipping by air via Vancouver or Calgary – anyone found a better deal?

I can also get my motor insurance through motorcycle express (special policy for non US residents) but they are telling me that I won’t be covered if I’m on dirt roads (which I will be a lot of the time), and I had the same response from the motorcycle hire companies I contacted :mad:. As a non US/Canada resident and not knowing someone out there whose address I can use there’s no option to buy “normal” motor insurance that might cover me on dirt roads, unless anyone has found an outfit offering this?:confused:

If you're only going for 2 weeks it would definitely be cheaper to rent and you'd also be covered for any breakdowns.

Alternatively if Chris is doing a trip next year you could mebbes put your bike in one of his containers for a fee.

When we did the West Coast and BC a couple of years ago we insured through: www.dairylandinsurance.com

Can't remember if they covered off road (apart from a few unmade roads that was as close as we got to off-road) but worth checking out I should think.

Bilco will be along in a moment if he can drag himself away from the Dalton Highway!:D

Back
Top Bottom