Route

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey,
I'll be picking up a bike in Rotherham Wednesday of next week. I'm riding back to Holyhead to catch the ferry home.

I'm planning on going through the Peak District. Can any of you recommend a good route?

Thanks!

No specific routes to advise on but if you draw a straight line on a map from Rotherham to shrewsbury and then go with the roads that take you more or less along that line you wont go too far wrong !
It depends on your time frame as you could deviate and take in Strines and/or the snake pass

From Shrewsbury the world is your oyster so to speak as there are so many good roads

Peak district is well speed limited though

Thanks Redrick. I'll take a look at some maps later. really is a lovely part of the world. I'm looking forward to heading through it again! New bike to me, so I doubt I'll be breaking any land speed records until I've gelled with it. Hope it's dry out!!

If you need somewhere to stay - I'm in Sheffield just down the road from Rotherham - let me know

If you need somewhere to stay - I'm in Sheffield just down the road from Rotherham - let me know

Most kind of you:thumb2

I'm going to make a beeline for hollyhead though. I have to work the next day unfortunatly:green gri

I looked at the map and aiming for Shrewsbury is a good idea. I can take the A5 the rest of the way. Cheers.

Hope to meet up with you tomorrow Owen :thumb

Was intending to ride part of the way back with you, but that's not looking possible now :blast

See you tomorrow :D

:beerjug:

If you have the time i would drop a little further south, Oswestry and then Balla and get the B4391 in to festiniog it is a super road !

I'll take a look now!

Hope to meet up with you tomorrow Owen :thumb

Was intending to ride part of the way back with you, but that's not looking possible now :blast

See you tomorrow :D

:beerjug:

Sounds good:thumb Shame your not free for a bit of spin!

If you have the time i would drop a little further south, Oswestry and then Balla and get the B4391 in to festiniog it is a super road !

I've had another look. Does this look better? I've been on some of these roads before in Wales. The bit I'm wondering about is from Bakewell to buxton. Nice road but I'm wondering would I be as well off going from bakewell along the A515 to leek instead? Looks that little bit shorter and I don't have a lot of time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rwm0urEyXNxiHAf1HterzLJXI2s&usp=sharing

I've had another look. Does this look better? I've been on some of these roads before in Wales. The bit I'm wondering about is from Bakewell to buxton. Nice road but I'm wondering would I be as well off going from bakewell along the A515 to leek instead? Looks that little bit shorter and I don't have a lot of time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rwm0urEyXNxiHAf1HterzLJXI2s&usp=sharing

Looks better to me but then its all preference as for the 515 and leek my view on the peak roads is that you are as well off burnt as scalded so if it saves 10 or 20 minutes or so then yes and use the time better in wales. As you cam probably tell I am not the bigest Peak district fan so take that into account. Overly busy and heavily speed limited ( 50MPH) roads but spectacular scenery and without the time to explore the smaller and better roads in the Peaks then just get through it would be my advice

Looks better to me but then its all preference as for the 515 and leek my view on the peak roads is that you are as well off burnt as scalded so if it saves 10 or 20 minutes or so then yes and use the time better in wales. As you cam probably tell I am not the bigest Peak district fan so take that into account. Overly busy and heavily speed limited ( 50MPH) roads but spectacular scenery and without the time to explore the smaller and better roads in the Peaks then just get through it would be my advice

I think I'll do that. I've been in Buxton before and I'm not a fan of the opera!

I'll be a buzzing comedy trying to find my way home using the iPhone. I've changed the route a bit and I can't post it because it's in co pilot live. Cheers for all the help.

Don't worry Owen we'll sort you out with a route.

The adventure starts tomorrow.

Cheers Dave.

Back
Top Bottom