Iceland adventure 2017

What sort of off road skills would I need for this? Sounds fantastic. Also, how many days in advance would you need my steed? I use her daily for work, but could arrange a fall back 4-wheeled can.

What sort of off road skills would I need for this? Sounds fantastic. Also, how many days in advance would you need my steed? I use her daily for work, but could arrange a fall back 4-wheeled can.

Hi
your bike would ship two weeks before you arrive in Iceland and would not be back in the UK untill 7 - 10 days after the end of the trip.
Do you have any off road riding experience, most of the trails we use are gravel and dirt tracks with some sand in places.
There are also a number of river crossings.
What bike would you be riding.
Cheers
Mark

Hi
your bike would ship two weeks before you arrive in Iceland and would not be back in the UK untill 7 - 10 days after the end of the trip.
Do you have any off road riding experience, most of the trails we use are gravel and dirt tracks with some sand in places.
There are also a number of river crossings.
What bike would you be riding.
Cheers
Mark

I would say I have no off road experience, although I've done a little here and there. I'd be riding my R1200GS TE model with low seat/suspension option (shorty 5'8"er!). This would be a major undertaking for me but it's one of the things/places that's been on a list far too long.

Thanks, Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say I have no off road experience, although I've done a little here and there. I'd be riding my R1200GS TE model with low seat/suspension option (shorty 5'8"er!). This would be a major undertaking for me but it's one of the things/places that's been on a list far too long.

Thanks, Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apologies for jumping in here, but it sounds like you need to get some experience pretty quickly. I can thoroughly recommend Simon Pavey's BMW backed Off Road Skills in Wales. They finish for the year at the end of October, so you'd have to hurry (and a lot of the places are already booked). Level 1 is a 2 day course and they do wonders for your confidence and skill level. After that I'd recommend joining the TRF and do as many rides with them as you can. There's no substitute for time in the saddle.

Apologies for jumping in here, but it sounds like you need to get some experience pretty quickly. I can thoroughly recommend Simon Pavey's BMW backed Off Road Skills in Wales. They finish for the year at the end of October, so you'd have to hurry (and a lot of the places are already booked). Level 1 is a 2 day course and they do wonders for your confidence and skill level. After that I'd recommend joining the TRF and do as many rides with them as you can. There's no substitute for time in the saddle.

I second that. Just come back from Level 1 and will do my Level 2 in the new year. Absolutely worth it.

Dead right, (do the course if you feel you must), but there's another eight months or so to get riding with companions beforehand.
Rupert's also right that you need time in the saddle, simply splashing cash at a corporate riding course may only give you a rough idea of the basic skills, ride that bike at least once a week offroad for a whole day if you can :beerjug:

Tank range

Quick one. What sort of tank range do we need? 20 litres was mentioned as fuel capacity, but range would be more useful. I think I'll need to carry a fuel container, and I'm trying to work out what size will be best.

Quick one. What sort of tank range do we need? 20 litres was mentioned as fuel capacity, but range would be more useful. I think I'll need to carry a fuel container, and I'm trying to work out what size will be best.

If you plan for a range of 200 miles you won't go wrong, even then you may not need that much unless some of the fuel stations have no fuel. I went on the second trip and we were fine for fuel but I think the first trip came across a fuel station that was empty (well I say fine, I was until my fuel hose came off, just got to camp in time after nicking fuel from Mark H).
What bike you taking?

If you plan for a range of 200 miles you won't go wrong, even then you may not need that much unless some of the fuel stations have no fuel. I went on the second trip and we were fine for fuel but I think the first trip came across a fuel station that was empty (well I say fine, I was until my fuel hose came off, just got to camp in time after nicking fuel from Mark H).
What bike you taking?

Thanks. 2016 Africa Twin. The MPG varies massively. 200 miles on a tank is possible, but I get less than that most of the time.

I'd say you'd be fine, you won't be travelling all that fast most of the time.

On the trips this year we were very lucky with the river levels on the Sprengisandur, you could get all the way to the river crossing and find the rivers are to high to cross so you have to go all the way back this is when lack of fuel can be a problem.
I have read a report that says people where begging for fuel because the crossing was closed and they had to go back north.

On a plus note I will have the dates for 2017 in the next couple of weeks.
Only problem at the moment is the weak pound is pushing the shipping cost up.
As the invoice from the shipping company is split between USD, IKS, EURO & GBP

Back
Top Bottom