Nordkapp - iron butt trip ideas

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The lovely Mrs Miles could see how happy I was having taken time to ride Marocco this year so she's encouraging me to think about 2017.

Nordkapp is on that list that is never written down but surfaces in my mind now and again - I'd like to go there because it's the bit right at the top and into the artic circle, it looks like some miles would be required c5000 I quite like the idea of taking 10 days as it would be 6 days of work and I like the challenge of needing to knock of the miles to make a trip happen.

It seems that others that have been there say 'it a place ticked off but good biking roads are missed in order to reach that place'

My 10 day agenda aside what are the best biking route recommendations
When's the best time to go (I hate midges)
I hear hotels are exspensive but can you find cheap hotels and book last minute

Google maps suggested these two routes - They are just a starting point to get me thinking, I had assumed up through Norway was the best option but I quite like the Findland route home.

Thanks in advance

Wreford

PS: 10 days is not a nessesity I could take longer, but I do like a mileage challenge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 545
My route ... Getting to Denmark (whichever way) go up the west coast to Hirtshalls (northern tip of Denmark) and ferry to Kristiansand which would be my starting point for Norway then up the west coast taking in the fjords then hoof it to the top ... either way back down :thumb2

My route ... Getting to Denmark (whichever way) go up the west coast to Hirtshalls (northern tip of Denmark) and ferry to Kristiansand which would be my starting point for Norway then up the west coast taking in the fjords then hoof it to the top ... either way back down :thumb2

I'm liking that route and Denmark to Norway ferry crossing

It looks like fjords all the way at what point up the west coast would you start hoofing it to the top?

My concern over the Estonia to Poland route back is what might seem an intresting journey mite acctually be ( I don't know) a slog across shitty traffic filled roads and through dead end towns which I would find a depressing end to a trip

We've done the Poland, Lithuania, Latvia to Estonia route as you say a boring and shitty route. Big wide roads with a 50 mph speed limit an crap scenery. We came back via Helsinki, Stockholm, Denmark etc which was much nicer.

Google Earth it Wreford and you'll probably see you have to come north-east after Bergen ... Depends on how many days you have to play with and how deep your pockets are for the ferries.

Did this last year over the mid-summer period. I would suggest going over the bridges from Denmark to Sweden, a bit more interesting than a ferry perhaps.
Definitely do the West coast of Norway though as the scenery is fantastic.
Came back through Finland, etc. and Poland and quite liked it, stopped in at Stalag Luft III too.
You could rack up some big miles through Finland etc over mid summer with all the daylight but they are all in holiday mode so watch out!

Bare in mind the fanatical enforcement of speed limits and colossal fines for minor infractions when considering iron butt mileages.

:beerjug:

Google Earth it Wreford and you'll probably see you have to come north-east after Bergen ... Depends on how many days you have to play with and how deep your pockets are for the ferries.

Looks like 6 ferry crossings on the west coast, do bikes tend to get on every time if they are busy and how much time do they take up... I'm use to the things like the King Harry Ferry that might cause you a 15 min wait if you arrive just after its left :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 495
just got back from the baltic, Lithuanian, Latvian and Estonian roads can go from seriously good mile crunching perfection, to utter ratshit in the blink of an eye, obviously where the eu grant ran out(lots of eu signs confirming this).
I spent a lot of time sat at 75-80, and I'm two up on a bonneville so on a gs should be a breeze.
The standard of driving is shit.
Main roads in finland were good, didnt use motorway outside of helsinki.
Speed limits in Sweden are ridiculous (50kmh on some bits of open road), and as has been mentioned, the fines can be massive. We were lucky and saw no coppers, I'd probably be in nick now if we were caught but the road was just soo good.

That pic is a fantastic route. There will be no turns and twists, and no scenery until the very end to distract you from the pavement. Maybe the fog will lift from the parking lot that is the North Cape tourist trap. I think you should do it. Or just hang out on a German autobahn for ten days. :)

But if you would like to have an enjoyable trip to Scandinavia in ten days: Slab up through Denmark and take the ferry to Kristiansand. Stay on the Western half of the map, don't go further North than Aalesund.

I have looked at doing this a couple of times since meeting some Finnish persons a few years ago - looked at similar route up Sweden, down Finland then back across to Sweden and back here - about 6k all told. However much of the feedback about mileage from those who have been suggests that 300 a day up there is going some - so 15 days looks more realistic. Not sure my itch would be scratched, or even my list ticked.
Keep us in the loop Wreford, you might inspire me to get off my butt and have a go!

I know some Norwegians who encourage me to ride all the way there and back on gravel roads, camping along the way. They say it involves big days ...... so food for thought ;)

That pic is a fantastic route. There will be no turns and twists, and no scenery until the very end to distract you from the pavement. Maybe the fog will lift from the parking lot that is the North Cape tourist trap. I think you should do it. Or just hang out on a German autobahn for ten days. :)

But if you would like to have an enjoyable trip to Scandinavia in ten days: Slab up through Denmark and take the ferry to Kristiansand. Stay on the Western half of the map, don't go further North than Aalesund.

How long would it take from Kristiandsand to Aalesund, keeping West and taking the c6 Ferries - I'm not the fastest rider but I,m quite happy to ride all day with no great desire to keep stopping.

Don't know, that kind of race is not my thing. When I go out on aride, I focus on how I can get the best ride in the available time frame. So I take the old gravel road across the mountain, and leave the quicker road to the lorries, camper vans and police.

If you have ten days, you will need two at each end to get you to/from Norway. for six days, you could get to Aalesund and back, but it would be hectic and you would be missing a lot. It does not get dark here in the summer, so you can ride long days. But for six days I would stay SW.

Wreford, these are the maps and guide book I mentioned. As I mentioned, the maps are not new, but the main parts I'm sure won't have changed to much. If anything they may show some interesting older roads which have been by-passed with modern routes. Welcome to borrow them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 359
Don't know, that kind of race is not my thing. When I go out on aride, I focus on how I can get the best ride in the available time frame. So I take the old gravel road across the mountain, and leave the quicker road to the lorries, camper vans and police.

If you have ten days, you will need two at each end to get you to/from Norway. for six days, you could get to Aalesund and back, but it would be hectic and you would be missing a lot. It does not get dark here in the summer, so you can ride long days. But for six days I would stay SW.

I'm liking the sound of these old gravel roads....

Wreford: In August 2012 I rode my electraglide (with 6ft2" son on back) on a 3 week trip London/Harwich/Esbjerg then ride to Hirtshals/ferry to Kristiansand and then basically cross country and coastal roads to Alesund and then on to the Arctic Circle above Mo-i-rana. There we talked to two bikers headed south who felt the 2 day each way slog they had done to Nordkapp wasn't really worth it.

Sadly the Harwich to Esbjerg no longer runs but the rest of the route is viable. We had no problems on the many ferries we took along the West coast, and stayed in a mixture of hytten, youth hostels and one night camping and one night hotelling.

We had great weather, empty roads, and a really good time, with no fixed plans.

If you want to PM me I have some maps including one with route cards for good biker roads that you can borrow.

In summary, I would encourage you to do the trip but not to set ambitious mileage targets because of the great scenery and the high fines.

PS bring a bottle of whisky because the booze is super expensive !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom