alternative to exped wanted

Loz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi,well after the second exped sleeping mat de laminated i have lost faith yes the warranty is great but i want somethingelse
what do you guys recommend

loz

I've always used Thermorests since 1992. I still have the original one, which is fine, but have updated since. Now there's loads of varieties of length, thickness etc.

In my view, they're worth the money.

I'm a huge fan of these, perhaps only justifiable if you camp a lot;

The advantages over mats are comfort, weight, size, faster to erect, and longevity ( hope still to be using it in 15 years time)

Sometimes, over time, the most expensive is the cheapest.

Wow, those Helinox beds look great.

I'd have to have a look at the feet, my worry would be the impact on the groundsheet, but I'm sure they've thought of that.

Hmmm, I may be having a look at those.

tuftywhite, I completely agree.... that was a concern for me too. All I can say is, that groundsheets are often tougher than they look!
I guess it depends on the ground underneath too.

The only drawback I can find, is that being a even a few inches off the floor, effectively reduces the space in your tent!
In very small one-man tents, your toes (depends on how big your feet are !) might touch the sloping end-wall of your tent.

Waking snug and rested though .... worth it !

If anyone wants one, at the USA price (see REI store website) ...feel free to PM me.
£ weak against the $... but still might work out cheaper than buying here?

hi,well after the second exped sleeping mat de laminated i have lost faith yes the warranty is great but i want somethingelse
what do you guys recommend

loz
Not without good reason.
Yes they are great mats, the 5 yr warranty has been great but we've had a few replacements as they go porus - doesn't inspire confidence for the price!

Which Exped mat(s) failed on you, OP? What exactly was the fail? To your knowledge, is the failure common to all types of Exped mat, or just the type you have? Can other Exped owners/users comment regarding their experience?

Shame if there's an inherent flaw/fault/weakness. Even with a great warranty, a mat failing while on a trip is a big PITA.

Of all the mats I've owned, the most reliable has been my Therm-A-rest Lite 3/4 self-inflating jobbie. Never leaked a bit of air. Packs to maybe 8" x 4". But it couldn't be regarded (by me) as comfy, particularly in the silly 3/4 version I bought. I was on a lightweight buzz at the time. In fact no self-inflating mat I've used was comfy for me.

So to replace my Therm-A-rest (20-odd years old now), I've been looking at alternatives - gotta be COMFY, light, and pack small. Exped SynMats look ideal, if expensive. Sick of cheap store-brand self-inflating mats leaking, usually at/near the inflation valve.

Interested to hear of COMFY alternatives.

Can other Exped owners/users comment regarding their experience?

I bought a couple of Downmat 9s 11 years ago and they worked ok, no leaks or problems. Last year I broke one, it wasn't its fault it was mine but they could have designed it so it didn't break and i've bought a new one to replace it. How did it go pop? well simple I had blown it up and had a good nights sleep and in the late morning when packing up I took the downmats out of out tent to roll them up and the one I wasnt rolling up and hadn't undone the valves went pop. Simply put it at the 30+ degrees it was the air had expanded inside with no where to go.

Also if you have one thats delaminated and you have the idea, "I wonder whats its like inside" don't do it in the living room as the Down will take you about a week to hoover up as it goes everywhere and there's lots of it.

I´ve had two Expeds 9 LW, great size for the bike, unfortunately the first one I had when packed away was located close to the exhaust so after a while the ribs popped, I still used it for a while. I contacted Exped and they said they´d change it even though it was my fault. Great service and no hassle.

The replacement didn't get used that much in Aus before I had the ribs go pop on me in New Zealand, a bit miffed at this but no problem again. Expel said that a bad batch of glue was used in the process and now the fault is recognised and has now been corrected. Drop it in to any local Exped dealer and they´ll swop it, thankfully there was one in the local town and took 2 minutes to do. That was 2 years ago and it´s still in good shape.

An expensive bit of kit but if this lasts another few years I´d consider another one to replace it. The schnozzle pump bag is also a must have when buying one.

Back
Top Bottom