Servicing on 2013 F800GS

gemmers9

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently moved to Devon and bought my first GS, a 2013 F800 and love it.

The first MOT is due soon and have sent a few queries to local dealers around Exeter about getting MOT and basic 6000 mile service.
Most of them coming back with a quote of about £150.
Seems alot to me, for MOT and bascially oil change and new oil filter and a few minor checks?
Is that the going rate for GS service??

I'm happy to do it myself but what are peoples thoughts on getting stamp in service book, won't be a BMW dealer as nearest one is Plymouth, and I am near Exeter, so it will just be local motorbike place?
Is it worth getting the stamp or will I just do it myself?
Will this affect resale value much? Plan on keeping it for many years and do about 10,000 miles a year commuting so will have 30 or 40k when I sell, maybe more. Thinking DIY is best but interested to hear peoples thoughts?

Cheers. G

How much is a MOT? There's nothing wrong with serviceing it yourself but £150 doesn't sound like a terrible amount of money. You haven't said how miles are on your bike. JJH

MOT should be about £30.
£120 for service seems steep.
Bike will have about 10,000 miles on her in total when its due, I bought it with 4000 miles on her and was serviced by dealer when I bought it.

I spent £900 when I got my 2013 GSA serviced, although admittedly I needed new tyres, chain, sprocket, brakes and a bunch of other stuff as well.

Yer pays your money ect. Should it be serviced at 12000? Your doing it early because it was done at 4000? I think that's a bit more than a oil change. Just double check what's going to be done. On resale value in my experience mileage knocks the stuffing out of the value. Bikes are expected to do no more than 4000 miles a year. They are now leisure vechicles. Bollocksollogy I know. But I do a fair bit more than that and I pay for it at trade in time. JJH

If servicedOver 2 years ago it will need abs doing as well

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How much is a MOT? There's nothing wrong with serviceing it yourself but £150 doesn't sound like a terrible amount of money. You haven't said how miles are on your bike. JJH

Agreed welcome to the world of BMW. They will also check all software and do any upgrades eg water hoses under warranty.

Its the £400 services where I shop around.

Thanks for all replies so far.

Okay, so I'm happy to pay £150 for service and MOT, if getting software checks etc and stamp in my service book.
But these quotes are for local dealers, not official BMW motorad, should I try and stick with the BMW?
If so is there an official BMW service centre in Exeter? Nearest dealer is Ocean in plymouth and not riding there just for a service.

Thanks again.

also if you have just moved to Devon get used to everything being a bit further away. just enjoy the ride!

Cheers, yep thinking will do it myself at this point, keep receipts instead, will get the 12000 mile done professionally.

depending upon where you are I would go to CW at Dorchester.

The only place in Exeter I use is Bike Worx. They're very popular, due to being good, so book an MOT in good time. They're also very good at suspension servicing and general bike servicing. If you really need your bike done by BMW, then Sherlocks are a good bet, otherwise go to CW's. My only other port of call, for MOT's, is Dog Motorcycles in Burnham-on-Sea. They're a really seedy, back street bike workshop you'd never go to on looks alone, but they know bikes, and everyone should have a Dog Motorcycles stamp!
Service history is a strange one but, as you are planning long term ownership, i'd do it myself and/or do the minor's yourself and get the stamp for the majors. As already stated, if you put some mileage on, that will affect your sale price far more, as it's that and condition that are the major factors. If you keep a log and all receipts of your own servicing, that will show the next keeper that you were a conscientious owner.

Easy to service ... aint had a stamp in my book since it was new :eek:

124,000 miles now (2008) and it's not worth a lot, cleans up all minty like though. No corrosion, original timing chain and clutch (that's only been adjusted once in the first month) the inlet and exhaust clearances are all bang on the halfway mark between the maximum and minimum permitted, they have never varied or been adjusted :thumb

:beerjug:

Thanks again for advice.
Micky, good to know your bike is still going strong after 124,000. Fingers crossed mine does the same with a bit of TLC.
Yep planning on putting big mileage on her so will do the basics myself, oil, filters, sparks etc. and go to CW for major 12000 service.
G

Back
Top Bottom