Where to stop, what to see

bristolsaint

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We are returning to England in late October after a year in Fuengirola and will be riding from there to Bilbao for the ferry. Other than a couple of days in the Picos, we are allowing a leisurely 4-5 days to do the trip.

My question is, what route should we take; what's worth stopping for? We fancy seeing Segovia but even that's not a definite, so, suggestions please. Spectacular scenery would be good, not just towns. We want to avoid Madrid centre.

Depending on what you like, Segovia and salamanca are both good places to visit for a little history and culture, have a read of this for ideas i was that way a couple of months ago.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/431324-The-pain-to-Spain-tour

or many of the other posts about spain and the Picos.

I agree, I was out there the last two weeks.

Segovia is excellent and fairly quiet. Salamanca nice too. We also visited Burgos and Bilbao, again all excellent. We stayed a night in each of these towns, except Salamanca.

If you want a heads up on hotels let me know, as we stayed in good and not so good.

I like Guadalupe as an overnight stop - a sensible distance from Fuengirola for a first night's stop and some good cross-country riding to get there. You could take in the mosque/cathedral in Cordoba as you pass. If you loop round to Segovia around the south-west side of Madrid, the town of San Lorenzo de el Escorial is good and it's very close to the Civil War memorial, the valley of the fallen, which is definitely worth visiting (normally open 10am-7pm). Toledo is also fascinating but it takes a while to explore.

I would recommend the following if you plan to go near Segovia. Toledo , Avila, Segovia and on to Oviedo and San Sebastian.

Back
Top Bottom