Bike investment

i wanted one since I was 17, I gave up waiting for a blue 400, which was always my dream. Its currently spoked wheels as the alloys have been bast cleaned and are at present being polished and painted. Hopefully I might get the tyres fitted and the wheels on over the winter.

After the alloys are fitted, I might get the spoked wheels overhauled, I just can't make up my mind, which I prefer.

Anyone looking a Ducati 996 ?

One two doors from me, about 3k miles on it. Not sure of the actual model and I think it's 2002/3. I can find out all the details of course if anyone is interested.

Investment bikes

Since I’ve retired I’ve been spending a lot of time sorting out my garage and sorting out my bike collection,I’ve just sold my 1948 Matchless,so have a little cash to spend,up to £4000.
I’m going to go for something early Japanese preferably,I have a soft spot for the Honda CT postie bikes and early Yamaha DT models, but I’m open to suggestions.

I'd think especially carefully around anything with a combustion engine as a long term investment. In my opinion the game is changing and I don't see anything but punitive actions against anything that runs on nasty fossil fuels, pretty pearl or not. I'd be interested to see the numbers of young people learning to ride motorbikes, they won't be cheap to own or run, and e-bikes (bicycles) will be the transport of choice taking the place of entry level motorcycles in a few years. I don't see the motorcycle business doing anything but contracting, and that having a knock on effect to people who own and take an interest in them.

Though I like wristwatches and have a pretty decent collection, I don't see them as being especially relevant to the next generation.. despite how many people keep talking them up because they're in the market. Smart watches will be more of the norm. Pocket watches aren't in so much of a demand, but were at one time.

I'd think especially carefully around anything with a combustion engine as a long term investment. In my opinion the game is changing and I don't see anything but punitive actions against anything that runs on nasty fossil fuels, pretty pearl or not. I'd be interested to see the numbers of young people learning to ride motorbikes, they won't be cheap to own or run, and e-bikes (bicycles) will be the transport of choice taking the place of entry level motorcycles in a few years. I don't see the motorcycle business doing anything but contracting, and that having a knock on effect to people who own and take an interest in them.

Though I like wristwatches and have a pretty decent collection, I don't see them as being especially relevant to the next generation.. despite how many people keep talking them up because they're in the market. Smart watches will be more of the norm. Pocket watches aren't in so much of a demand, but were at one time.

Well said
Smart thoughts

I wouldn't ..... I will happily buy anything with two wheels and an engine because that is what (I believe) I know about :D

But talking as an investment here, right? Don't get me wrong, I have a very pretty 955 Speed Triple sat in my conservatory, but for the reason that I like looking at it. I don't hold out much hope of it sending me into my old age with wads of notes.

It's not what I want, but it is what I think.

I’m 59 now any investment in bikes now would be probably for around 10-15 years, I often see young lads and lasses in their mid 20s around local bike shows and shops,so I think there is an interest in bikes within our youth.
They will be looking at bikes they can’t afford at the moment, which when later in life ,when they have disposable income ,they’ll be looking at their old objects of desire and find that they can afford to buy them.
I get much more interest out of my bikes than any interest my money would make in a bank.

I’m 59 now any investment in bikes now would be probably for around 10-15 years, I often see young lads and lasses in their mid 20s around local bike shows and shops,so I think there is an interest in bikes within our youth.
They will be looking at bikes they can’t afford at the moment, which when later in life ,when they have disposable income ,they’ll be looking at their old objects of desire and find that they can afford to buy them.
I get much more interest out of my bikes than any interest my money would make in a bank.

Maybe, maybe not. 10 years in my opinion could still be OK but longer than that, I'd not be so sure. One of my friends in their late twenties has just mortgaged himself up to just shy of 400k. He loves bikes but it'll be a while before he's spending money on them, classics or otherwise, by his own admission. Like I say, I hope not, but I think my argument has plenty of merit.

I’m sure there’ll always be someone who wants a 750 H2 because they’re never going to be anything less than the bike that scared a generation :D

Back
Top Bottom