Bike investment

steve hughes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Classic sic question, just got first retirement lump sum looking for something that will make more than 1.5% .

Thinking Ducati allready have a two stroke , possibly 916 or possibly Paul Smart , any thoughts suggestions or bikes to buy?
Steve

I had this exact situation earlier this year and came to the decision that a 916 was the way to go. At the end of the day, nothing else ticks so many boxes. It is in most peoples eyes still the most beautiful bike ever, has a great competition record......oh, and it is Italian! The amount of different variations is a bit bewildering though and costs to buy now vary accordingly. The limited editions are already quite expensive to buy. The earliest Strada models are also expensive and rarely come up for sale as I guess they are being tucked away. I went for an early Biposto, bought from this very forum.
image_zpsx3mjwgwv.jpeg

Any Sunbeam, S7 has gone from 3k to 8-12k in 5 years.....

Classic sic question, just got first retirement lump sum looking for something that will make more than 1.5% .

Thinking Ducati allready have a two stroke , possibly 916 or possibly Paul Smart , any thoughts suggestions or bikes to buy?
Steve

Classic bikes are nicer looking than a bank statement. Worst case scenario is a 10% appreciation, better than any bank.
I have 4 x CBX1000
Triumph Silver Jubilee 77
Francis Barnett 62
Honda 50 74
Cadillac Seville 79

Not bought as investment but will not cost me anything except the time i put into them.

I sold my spotless 996 Biposto last year to buy my GS.

I love the GS but boy do I regret having to sell the Ducati.

Sent from a OnePlusX

Got to try and think of ground breaking, or cult bikes. Normally it's the first of the series to be produced, that is the most collectable. I'm a big 2-stroke fan as you know, so my sheds stuffed full with them, maybe Hyabusa, Ducati's, R1's, etc (probably missed the boat on these) GSXR1000 would be on my list, but I don't want anything too big and bulky as I get older :)
Search previous threads for others views.

Triumph

MK 1 Speed Triple 900 looks a good investment I bought mine new 18 years ago,been thinking of selling it a couple of times but couldn't do it. All the modifications I`ve done to it have now been removed over the last few weeks so its now back as it was when i bought it.There are a few that come up on ebay occasionally but some are Daytonas with the fairing taken off.The prices of the proper Speed Triples seem to be rising quite steadily,and a few of the classic bike magazines have recognized it as a future classic

MK 1 Speed Triple 900 looks a good investment I bought mine new 18 years ago,been thinking of selling it a couple of times but couldn't do it. All the modifications I`ve done to it have now been removed over the last few weeks so its now back as it was when i bought it.There are a few that come up on ebay occasionally but some are Daytonas with the fairing taken off.The prices of the proper Speed Triples seem to be rising quite steadily,and a few of the classic bike magazines have recognized it as a future classic

I agree, great bike and just that bit different from the usual stuff.

I remember them racing in their own series....must be twentyish years ago...Fairly standard bikes with a 'throaty' exhaust thrown in for good measure....Built like a tank and looked it. I seem to remember that most of them were all black....a lovely brutal looking thing.

I bought a later 2003 955i Speed Triple......Loved it......:)

The most important rule of buying something as an investment is to buy something you really like. That way, of it doesn't turn out to be as good a financial investment as you were hoping, at least you have something you like... :cool:

Agree with your comment Mike, not only like, but want and able to actually ride it too, if only on a dry sunny day :)

Plus 1 for the last two posts I ride all three of my classics to a degree each year. Always more carefull with the strokers.
I have looked at R1's Gixers even slabby's in the past, on thing that puts me off is weight, this sort of rules out the older Brit bikes.
Theres a mint DT400 here http://www.ventureclassics.com/Yamaha DT400 OKM751P 098.JPG

But price is a bit tasty!

I had this exact situation earlier this year and came to the decision that a 916 was the way to go. At the end of the day, nothing else ticks so many boxes. It is in most peoples eyes still the most beautiful bike ever, has a great competition record......oh, and it is Italian! The amount of different variations is a bit bewildering though and costs to buy now vary accordingly. The limited editions are already quite expensive to buy. The earliest Strada models are also expensive and rarely come up for sale as I guess they are being tucked away. I went for an early Biposto, bought from this very forum.
image_zpsx3mjwgwv.jpeg

Hopefully i will get a few bob on these sometime.

Attachments

• 13244801_1074561192609130_8491618844007609806_n.jpg
    13244801_1074561192609130_8491618844007609806_n.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 950

You're going to need to keep yours for at least another 18 years before you stand any chance of only making a small loss on it :D

Nortons now increasing in value, but they need to be original. Bad cafe racer conversions are only worth spares.

Any unmolested Harley up to the mid 80's (early evos and before) especially the FXR. Shovelheads have now become quite rare and Pinheads are stupid money.

Maybe a slight outsider but what about a Ducati 899 Panigale ? Only produced for about 2 years and an awesome bike by anyones standards.

The later 959 that has replaced it has been castrated by Euro4, and whilst in theory has a little more power, is also heavier.

I can see that well kept ones will certainly keep a good value, whether they increase as they become more scarce is anyones guess.

RBW.

*I do own a 899, not for investment purposes as its such an awesome bike and am busy piling the miles on it (15K at last check).

Back
Top Bottom