Mac User....

Evening all,

What, if any, Anti-Virus software do you use on your Mac.

Cheers

Mick

:beerjug:
That sir , is the benefit of a Mac , hardware and operating system designed by one company !
I'm not going to say you won't need any , but it's a far different proposition to the "Windows" crap.

Get yourself a time machine backup routine , or similar and relax.

Have used mac's for 10 or so years with no additional protection, I've never had problems with virusus affecting them.

That's my experience. Other's may have a different view, but I've had no problems.

I swore by avast for windows so I also installed it on my mac. It lasted about a day before I took it off again.
Like most AV, It slows the machine down and you are at much less risk on a mac than a MS machine. IMHO that is

i have been using MACS for over five years without any additional AV software.

Last edited:
These days I clone the drive to a USB HDD and disconnect it when I'm done.

This in addition to Time Machine on another drive.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

Have been a DOS\Windows man all my life so never went anywhere without AV of some description, then 6 months ago I treated myself to an iMac. Am slowly getting my head round it and have occasional thought about AV but as from previous internet searches most people don't seem to bother.

Mac also works better with my iPhone and iPad, with all the syncing etc ...:):) so much nicer to be able to jump from one to the other and have it all there.

Have a Time Machine configured and have tested it, which works well.

My windows computer sits doing nothing except running Anquet Mapping System.

iMac for probably ten years now, no additional anti virus thingy, never had a problem, not ever :thumb

The Mac probably doesn't need it, until you are the unlucky one, the viruses are out there. I use Bitdefender and it picks up Windows problems which are 'passing through'. I use a lot of USB drives to connect to customers computers for printing and it is a bit embarrassing to pick up and then pass on a virus. Bit defender and, the previously used, Kaspersky pick them up and delete them.

Mac user for three or four years now and no anti virus software used.

I don't use time machine either but simply back up some personal files every few months or so.

This thread has prompted me to scan both my Macbook Air and my iMac with Bitdefender which I hadn't done for months. Nothing found on either of them. Of course, that doesn't mean that there's definitely nothing there.... :nenau

I've got a variety of machines running Windows, OSX & Linux. Don't run anything more than the standard Windows Defender on the windows machines and nothing beyond the built in features of the others.

I'm generally fairly careful and don't go around opening stuff I shouldn't so that probably helps :D

However, don't believe the hype etc., Macs can get infected with ransomware and other Trojans as well so bear that in mind.

Cheers,
Rob.

Well this thread started me thinking. I have a Barclay account and so get Kaspersky free. It has been running on my mac and windows machines for almost a year now. Whilst it seems to be generally acknowledged that the macs are less prone to viruses they are still not 100% safe.

So I thought how hard is it to uninstall Kaspersky, well it wasn't easy. I can uninstall on windows no problem but the mac is more involved. I struggled for a good while but hands up never achieved total uninstall. In the end I had to go to the main Kaspersky site and down load the uninstall tool to do a proper job. It worked fine.

I may reinstall it later on. Yes the O.S. isn't totally secure and you take a chance. Schtum mentioned bit defender. If you end up buying protection that was very high on the list of independent reviews. For me the price of Kaspersky swung it (free).

Back
Top Bottom