X country down on top speed

Sungaets

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My wife has just bought an 09 x country with 25000 miles, the problem is it does not pull much above 60 mph, it runs okay otherwise, I have replaced the plugs, checked the air filter, checked the coil packs, just wondering if anyone can offer any advice, bike starts fine, runs fine but just not pulling strong, feels weak and hesitates slightly while cruising around 50 to 55mph and won't pull over 60 mph.
Regards Dean, Shetland.:nenau

You'll find a wealth of info on ADVrider - eg in this 550 page thread http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...650-xchallenge-lets-see-your-xcountry.290240/

Don't panic, the search facility is actually pretty good!

This is another valuable resource http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwXCountry/index.htm

Your issue maybe related to the throttle body -dirt, positioning etc. Look at the stuff on cleaning the throttlebody and idle actuator and resetting the TPS.

Also possibly, this http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?29697-XC-loss-of-power-when-hot

Has it been restricted?

Thanks for the replies, the exhaust muffler may be the cause , as it is rattling , I will take it off and try it for a short run , be good if this was the problem as we are a long way from the nearest BMW garage. I will let you know what happens.:)
Dean, Shetland. I have checked for it being restricted , no sign of altered cable bracket and the butterfly is opening fully.

Thanks for the replies, the exhaust muffler may be the cause , as it is rattling , I will take it off and try it for a short run , be good if this was the problem as we are a long way from the nearest BMW garage. I will let you know what happens.:)
Dean, Shetland. I have checked for it being restricted , no sign of altered cable bracket and the butterfly is opening fully.

That's the cause, blocking the gases escaping

You can cut the cat out of the front portion, if you can find a good stainless welder locally

Micky has done a post on here, if you search

Dean here guys, thanks for all your advice, I have since taken the muffler off and gone for a blast, it can fairly go, the silencer is rattling inside, so this has sorted the problem, my wife bought the bike from a non franchised dealer sight unseen so she will now either have to get some recompense from the dealer or I am going to have to get the welder fired up, it is what I do for a job. If we have to fit an after market silencer is there any recommendations as to what should be fitted, not too loud.
Thanks and cheers to you all.

theres a lad on here selling a Leo Vince that could be attached maybe (especially if you have TIG welder near)
Good luck

I decatted my X Country, a doddle to do and makes it a little deeper & a little louder without upsetting anyone and the engine runs fine afterwards.

It's not the Cat that comes loose and rattles, but one of the baffles further down. I've known one or two do this! You need to cut the exhaust open, like gutting a fish, find the baffle and remove .... take the Cat out while you're at it :D

A good stainless steel welder will do this, on the inside, and the 'repair' won't even be visible to the outside world :thumb

:beerjug:

Micky, when you say to open the the silencer, I take it I would cut off the connecting pipe end and remove the innards, I would like to give it a go as I am a welder.
Dean

You can do it by cutting the weld at the front end of the main part of the silencer (the end of the big cylinder part before it reduces down to the inlet pipe)
Decatting makes the exhaust cooler as it retains less heat.
Mine has developed a baffle rattle so i'll need to get this one done for that reason soon.
It's a heavy exhaust so it welds up again okay ( someone did mine for me��)

Micky, when you say to open the the silencer, I take it I would cut off the connecting pipe end and remove the innards, I would like to give it a go as I am a welder.
Dean

i-pxmFMSr-L.jpg

i-89Lw7SW-L.jpg

i-xvmfZC4-L.jpg

EDIT .... the arrow points to the loose baffle that caused a loss of performance on Sue's X-Country

Google decat x challenge, or do a search on this site.

I have pics floating about on the web of my X country decat, obviously once opened you can see into the baffles.

Many thanks for the photo's Micky, a picture says a thousand words, thanks to you all for help going to go and get the angle grinder going.

Micky, I have cut the silencer open, removed the offending baffle and have also done a de cat, just have to get tig rods tomorrow, hopefully all should be back together tomorrow also.
Thanks again for photo's.

Micky, I have cut the silencer open, removed the offending baffle and have also done a de cat, just have to get tig rods tomorrow, hopefully all should be back together tomorrow also.
Thanks again for photo's.

Keep us posted please :thumbs:

I have now completed the job of decating and removing the loose baffle from inside the silencer, I welded it myself using tig, down to 10 amps at one stage, that was welding the plate on the side of the silencer on the inside. Performance has been restored , the exhaust is a bit more rorty but still cheaper than a new silencer.
Thanks to all . Dean.:clap

I have now completed the job of decating and removing the loose baffle from inside the silencer, I welded it myself using tig, down to 10 amps at one stage, that was welding the plate on the side of the silencer on the inside. Performance has been restored , the exhaust is a bit more rorty but still cheaper than a new silencer.
Thanks to all . Dean.:clap

Result :thumb

Result indeed - I'm the proud owner of said bike and very grateful to my clever husband for fixing it! Thanks from me also to everyone who helped on here, especially with the photos.

In fairness to the dealer I bought it from (Destination Triumph in Fareham), I should mention that they are in a 50 mph zone and can therefore probably be forgiven for not noticing this on a test drive. While we were diagnosing the problem, they said that I could put it to a local bike garage at their cost and have now agreed to supply me with a new Scorpion silencer (we agreed that the OEM one at around £600 wasn't really necessary).

Best wishes from sunny Shetland,
Birgit

Back
Top Bottom