Hill Start Assist

Back in the day we had gas lighting and horse and carts but I bet you have moved forward just a little eh��

how odd.

i don't have hill assist and can still have both feet down when i pull away.

i can't say it wouldn't be a boon. i dunno, i've never tried it, but i can't say i see the point? i just use the front brake :confused:

how odd.

i don't have hill assist and can still have both feet down when i pull away.

i can't say it wouldn't be a boon. i dunno, i've never tried it, but i can't say i see the point? i just use the front brake :confused:

It's not just hill start, it's going through passport controls etc, on a slope, when you're fiddling with gloves documents, etc etc and the bike is just stationary.

It's piece of mind you know it won't move. I don't use it much, but it's good on the odd occasion you do use it.

:blast

It's not just hill start, it's going through passport controls etc, on a slope, when you're fiddling with gloves documents, etc etc and the bike is just stationary.

It's piece of mind you know it won't move. I don't use it much, but it's good on the odd occasion you do use it.

:blast

i can see it being useful at passport controls etc

does it work facing down hill?

For normal hill starts I'd say this tech is for those who have not mastered basic bike control - But for those odd occasions when you need to stop and fiddle with something and keeping a foot on the rear brake has it's issues then I can see it's convince benefits. That's a convenience over giving it some thought and stopping appropriately such as a wheel into the kerb.

Those situations can also happen on downhill slopes, does it work then?

does it work facing down hill?

For normal hill starts I'd say this tech is for those who have not mastered basic bike control - But for those odd occasions when you need to stop and fiddle with something and keeping a foot on the rear brake has it's issues then I can see it's convince benefits. That's a convenience over giving it some thought and stopping appropriately such as a wheel into the kerb.

Those situations can also happen on downhill slopes, does it work then?
It doesn't matter which way you're facing. As long as you activate it, the bike is held like a car handbrake.

....having giving this some thought I think it's a feature created because modern electronic trickery allows it and it's only real purpose is to create new model features to give those that feel the need to change a reason to change.

It might have benefits from those with coordination and dexterity problems - They can also be spotted by their sexually frustrated partners and/or blue badge

....having giving this some thought I think it's a feature created because modern electronic trickery allows it and it's only real purpose is to create new model features to give those that feel the need to change a reason to change.

It might have benefits from those with coordination and dexterity problems - They can also be spotted by their sexually frustrated partners and/or blue badge

:jes :jes

has this thread been moved into the pub section?

The OP asked an honest question and seems to have attracted a series of replies from those without hill start assist, who seem intent on slurring riding skills, and even sexual prowess.

Is it to much to ask that these type of comments are kept to the pub area (I never go in there any more following a series of foul comments that left me questioning my commitment and subs to this fine site).

But out here, in public would it be too much to ask that replies are civil and unless you have a pertinent reply please refrain from commenting?

has this thread been moved into the pub section?

The OP asked an honest question and seems to have attracted a series of replies from those without hill start assist, who seem intent on slurring riding skills, and even sexual prowess.

Is it to much to ask that these type of comments are kept to the pub area (I never go in there any more following a series of foul comments that left me questioning my commitment and subs to this fine site).

But out here, in public would it be too much to ask that replies are civil and unless you have a pertinent reply please refrain from commenting?

Oh dear :comfort

I've never ridden a bike with hill start assist, but my shitty car has it and it's bloody awful and unreliable. But maybe it will help if the OP learns how it works. I've learned to work around the hill start assist by learning that it is deactivated by the clutch and putting it into gear and then a timer which releases the brakes. The electronic handbrake is activated by the clutch being pressed in and the throttle being pressed. I prefer to use the handbrake as it is under my control rather than the timer which affords me the luxury of me being in control. Using the handbrake I can get a clean smooth getaway now, but I have to factor in the release time of the rear brake servos that release the brakes in order to do this.
Of course prior to this fantastic technical step forward there was a hand operated brake which was controlled by the driver with no delay and it was reliable and predictable and gave a smooth getaway every time but it seems that it was just too simple for most to appreciate.

.... Has anyone had similar experiences as a new owner like myself?

Back in my day we learnt how to ride a motorcycle.

Hill start assist, FFS, buy a car!
Fil, once again you are bequeathing scorn upon someone who doesn't fit with YOUR idyllic vision of motorcycling utopia.

Give it a rest , there's a good boy :comfort

Fil, once again you are bequeathing scorn upon someone who doesn't fit with YOUR idyllic vision of motorcycling utopia.

Give it a rest , there's a good boy :comfort

that'll cut the site's daily post count in half.

Back
Top Bottom