Hill Start Assist

Oh dear :comfort

I've never ridden a bike with hill start assist, but my shitty car has it and it's bloody awful and unreliable. But maybe it will help if the OP learns how it works. I've learned to work around the hill start assist by learning that it is deactivated by the clutch and putting it into gear and then a timer which releases the brakes. The electronic handbrake is activated by the clutch being pressed in and the throttle being pressed. I prefer to use the handbrake as it is under my control rather than the timer which affords me the luxury of me being in control. Using the handbrake I can get a clean smooth getaway now, but I have to factor in the release time of the rear brake servos that release the brakes in order to do this.
Of course prior to this fantastic technical step forward there was a hand operated brake which was controlled by the driver with no delay and it was reliable and predictable and gave a smooth getaway every time but it seems that it was just too simple for most to appreciate.

Eh??????

". But maybe it will help if the OP learns how it works."

I'll find out how it works alright. What I needed to know was whether others were finding the same "symptoms" as myself.

Eh??????

". But maybe it will help if the OP learns how it works."

I'll find out how it works alright. What I needed to know was whether others were finding the same "symptoms" as myself.

It wasn't a slur on you, just an observation that once you understand how it works it is far easier to make it work for you. I had monumental issues with the car trying to get used to the hill start etc until I played with it and worked out how it operated (because it works differently to the electronic handbrake and if you use the same method as the elec handbrake you'll likely end up kangarooing up the road). Even though I understand it, it still foxes me from time to time by not coming on when I expect it to and coming on when not expecting it, hence I tend to use the handbrake as it is 100% predictable (as long as you press the button long enough!).

With the car a little blip of the throttle as you release the clutch slightly will cause the brake to disengage allowing me to catch it on the clutch and make it a smooth getaway. Without the throttle blip the brakes are still disengaging as you are trying to pull away, causing it to be a bit untidy as you pull away.

What causes the brake on hill start to disengage? Is it throttle position, clutch position, combination of the two? Maybe it's a tilt sensor somewhere that registers the angle that the bike is at in which case maybe there is no cure because it holds the brake on until you are rolling forward. Without knowing the facts it is hard to recommend a course of action to help you solve the problem.

It will always be a bit jerky if you are pulling away whilst the brake is still disengaging.

I agree with Wobble. These puerile and unintelligent comments serve no purpose. Hill Start Assist is a useful option in particular circumstances and also a safety aid. I for one find it useful. I am sure others do as well.

I agree with Wobble. These puerile and unintelligent comments serve no purpose. Hill Start Assist is a useful option in particular circumstances and also a safety aid. I for one find it useful. I am sure others do as well.

Why don't you answer the question then, do you find it jerky? :blast

It might have benefits from those with coordination and dexterity problems - They can also be spotted by their sexually frustrated partners and/or blue badge

BMW have released their new RT colour scheme for 2017 with additional pannier space. Hill start assist comes as standard.

3720F977-8D88-44D6-B082-AA52BE7F9145_zps7dheymnb.jpg

Not helpful I know but I couldn't help myself.

BMW have released their new RT colour scheme for 2017 with additional pannier space. Hill start assist comes as standard.

3720F977-8D88-44D6-B082-AA52BE7F9145_zps7dheymnb.jpg

Not helpful I know but I couldn't help myself.

I once crashed into one if the on my push bike... The handle bar punched a neat hole in the side

Can it be turned off...

It sounds horrid

What's horrid about it?? It's just a hand brake,squeeze the front brake hard to engage squeeze hard again to release.
Or accelerate to knock it off,or just don't use it at all.

Everyone uses a hand brake on thier car,what's the problem?
I wish I had it on my 1200R today ,stopping to take photo,s riding down a hill pass in Wales.

No , not if you use it properly.

So, I was right. If the OP does his research in to how it works then he can ultimately make it work for him.

Can you divulge your secret method of smooth operation and put this whole sorry saga to bed please FFS :D

What's horrid about it?? It's just a hand brake,squeeze the front brake hard to engage squeeze hard again to release.

I wish I had it on my 1200R today ,stopping to take photo,s riding down a hill pass in Wales.

That would surely have improved your riding enjoyment substantially. Nothing like taking a picture to reach true biking nirvana :D

I had an old Ford Anglia with a sticking brake cylinder (when you pushed hard) that could do that. It came in handy when the Policeman wanted to test my handbrake

So, I was right. If the OP does his research in to how it works then he can ultimately make it work for him.

Can you divulge your secret method of smooth operation and put this whole sorry saga to bed please FFS :D

When are you going to open your eyes and read the previous posts?
I KNOW HOW IT WORKS!
Your comment of "FFS" is uncalled for.
For an experienced user of this forum with over 11,000 posts I am surprised at some of the impatience and lack of empathy you have shown to my query. This has not been the case with a lot of users with far less posts than yourself.

When are you going to open your eyes and read the previous posts?
I KNOW HOW IT WORKS!
Your comment of "FFS" is uncalled for.
For an experienced user of this forum with over 11,000 posts I am surprised at some of the impatience and lack of empathy you have shown to my query. This has not been the case with a lot of users with far less posts than yourself.

Chill out fella. The FFS was aimed at mhr43 who is so terribly upset by all the unintelligent comments, but won't divulge his secret to the smooth operation of the hill start assist.

I'd take yours to the dealer and have them check it out if you are not satisfied with it's operation. Obviously you know now that the operation should be smooth so yours must be faulty, there's obviously no way it could be the way you are operating it as you seem to have that in the bag.

I know being helpful is not the done thing and i do feel bad about it, but I have hill assist and I find you just shouldn't be too delicate with it.

A decent amount of throttle and release the clutch fairly briskly and don't hesitate waiting for the brake to release. The more gentle you are the longer it will take for the brake to release and it can feel jerky.

That is my experience with it anyway. Just don't over think it and it will get easier, like a lot of things in life.

Matt

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I know being helpful is not the done thing and i do feel bad about it, but I have hill assist and I find you just shouldn't be too delicate with it.

A decent amount of throttle and release the clutch fairly briskly and don't hesitate waiting for the brake to release. The more gentle you are the longer it will take for the brake to release and it can feel jerky.

That is my experience with it anyway. Just don't over think it and it will get easier, like a lot of things in life.

Matt

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Thanks Matt.
I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm optimistic.

Knapdog, do you have PMs turned off or have you not reached the golden ticket limit to be deemed to be grownup enough to have private messages?

Knapdog, do you have PMs turned off or have you not reached the golden ticket limit to be deemed to be grownup enough to have private messages?

Hi
Not sure whether I have. Is it due to me not being a subscriber?

Hi
Not sure whether I have. Is it due to me not being a subscriber?
ah, that might be the case, I know there is a minimum number of posts you need to have submitted before you can do some parts and the messaging system might be a paid service. Well, if you do decide to subscribe, let me know please.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom