Hill Start Assist

knapdog

Reaction score
Although I haven't actually used it much, I don't find the hill start assist particularly smooth on take off. It could be my technique of course.
As I open the throttle to set off and start letting the clutch out I can still feel the brakes biting and the revs start to drop and I feel as if I'm going to stall.
As a result I then give it a bit more revs. The problem is I then just take off far quicker than I want to, in a surge, needing to pull the clutch back in to calm the bike down a bit.
I'm pretty sure I'll perfect this eventually but at present I'm really only trying this on slight slopes. Heaven help me when I actually try it on a hill. I'll be doing a wheelie!
Has anyone had similar experiences as a new owner like myself?

I love it , we live in quite a hilly area so I'm always using it ....the more you use it the smoother it becomes

You need more revs on a steeper gradient than a lower one ,just keep practising it will be smooth out

Back in my day we learnt how to ride a motorcycle.

Hill start assist, FFS, buy a car!

I have two cars but this is a motorcycle thread.
I presume you either don't have hill assist on yours or you choose not to use it.
Naturally I've never had it on previous motorcycles but whether I like it or not, I've got it and I'm posting fellow members for their views on it.
Thank you for your comment.

Just like cruise control and shift assist plus you don't need them but they enhance your riding pleasure IMO so bring on these extra electronics.

Nobody wanted ABS on a bike but it's saved hundreds from having an accident

Most of these extras are options or can be switched off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you prefer a good old paper map rather than a satnav and waxed cotton instead of Goretex!!

I
Although I don't find the hill start assist particularly smooth on take off. It could be my technique of course
I'm pretty sure I'll perfect this eventually but at present I'm really only trying this on slight slopes. ?

Therein lies your problem I think .

It's called Hill Start Assist for a reason and not Slight Slope Assist , although SSA is a great acronym :thumb

I have it on my RT and love it, I use it as a 'parking brake' when at lights on a slope or if just stopped on a gradient when map reading or similar (engine running and in N of course).

Don't tend to use it on smaller gradients so much and sometimes even knock it off manually before I start off, but on steeper slopes or with a full load it's very handy indeed.

Some very helpful replies, folks.
I'll try it out on a decent hill soon. I needed to know your thoughts as automatically I use the traditional method of hill starting but when I try the hill start assist, I give it what I think are the required revs, I start letting the clutch out and it feels as if the "handbrake" is on. As a result I feel as if I need to give it more throttle again which results in more if a jerky, speedy take off rather than a smooth one.
Now I know I'll get this sorted with practice but I needed to know if, initially, you found the same.
Sorry to repeat myself.

Just like cruise control and shift assist plus you don't need them but they enhance your riding pleasure IMO so bring on these extra electronics.

+1 :thumb

I don't have it but I'd love it. I had one very steep hill start junction left turn last year, two up and very heavily loaded and in a situation like that if you stall it then you are both on the deck. Didn't stall it but wish I'd had hill start. Both of my cars have hill start and its a great feature for a bike.

On the BMW does it keep on until you are ready to set off?

On the KTM it is timed, so after say 10 seconds it releases which really defeats the point.

Not aware of any time limit.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1471798857.381576.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1471798857.381576.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 2,806

Yep, being nannied into submission is exactly the way to 'enhance your riding pleasure' (fnarr fnarr).

I know there are a thousand and one ways you can get off these days, a thousand different toys to tickle various parts, but I've yet to find anything that beats a good old fashioned shag with a pretty woman who is willing to bend to your will. It's analogue and old fashioned, but it beats the digital revolution every time. Bikes are the same. Simplicity is the key to riding nirvana. Two wheels, one engine and a method of slowing down when required..........happy days.

Yes I have sat nav, but I mainly use it for music because I do like to have my music. The bluetooth headset is great, but it only does what I did years ago with a walkman and pair of headphones in an ill fitting helmet :D

As for turning them all off, yes you can, but what's the point of paying for it in the first place.

Yep, being nannied into submission is exactly the way to 'enhance your riding pleasure' (fnarr fnarr).

I know there are a thousand and one ways you can get off these days, a thousand different toys to tickle various parts, but I've yet to find anything that beats a good old fashioned shag with a pretty woman who is willing to bend to your will. It's analogue and old fashioned, but it beats the digital revolution every time. Bikes are the same. Simplicity is the key to riding nirvana. Two wheels, one engine and a method of slowing down when required..........happy days.

Yes I have sat nav, but I mainly use it for music because I do like to have my music. The bluetooth headset is great, but it only does what I did years ago with a walkman and pair of headphones in an ill fitting helmet :D

As for turning them all off, yes you can, but what's the point of paying for it in the first place.

So why you not riding this then ?
38701d307fa947f211da78b9358af3b3.jpg

I have Hill Assist on my RT and use it up hill, down hill and on the level sometimes.
On awkward hills it means when applied you can put either of your feet down, keeping it in gear - useful when one side of the road drops away.
To pull away just open the throttle slightly on gradual hills and more for steeper hills.

Great addition - wouldn't be without it!

Safe riding.
Mike

I have Hill Assist on my RT and use it up hill, down hill and on the level sometimes.
On awkward hills it means when applied you can put either of your feet down, keeping it in gear - useful when one side of the road drops away.
To pull away just open the throttle slightly on gradual hills and more for steeper hills.

Safe riding.
Mike
Quite agree. I have it on my RT and it is a handy feature. Just makes life a little more straightforward.

Matt

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yep agree,
I initially thought it was just a gimmick but once I started to use it found it really usefull.
Used it when sat in roadworks ,downhill on a bend and bad camber,brilliant both feet free.
You don't need to use the throttle to release the brake,just squeeze the front brake lever hard and off it comes,perfect for down hill.

Stopping in the dark age is always a no cost option,but why?

Back
Top Bottom