Hill Start Assist

ah, that might be the case, I know there is a minimum number of posts you need to have submitted before you can do some parts and the messaging system might be a paid service. Well, if you do decide to subscribe, let me know please.

Thanks

Paying a mere £12 a year allows access to PM's and ALL sections of the site. Post count has nought to do with access rights. :)

Andres

I'm struggling to find any detail on this via BMW site regarding this being on current GSA models. I watched a vid showing the bike being used off road in Endro mode and the guy pulling up to a standstill on a sand hill and then demonstrated the Hill hold.

I have 2017MY GSA TB and don't believe this is part of my bikes spec, can't find any reference to it in the manual either and tried several times today using the front brake to see if it would engage, it didn't, or I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone know if this is standard on the GSA or above standard like Gear assist etc

Cheers Stevie

I have two cars but this is a motorcycle thread.
I presume you either don't have hill assist on yours or you choose not to use it.
Naturally I've never had it on previous motorcycles but whether I like it or not, I've got it and I'm posting fellow members for their views on it.
Thank you for your comment.

knapdog...nicely worded. Politeness like this doesnt happen much on this forum !

On any BMW bike, I always engage the first gear to stop it from rolling backwards. Then apply the front brake and de-clutch before you start the engine. Whilst holding the brake lever, rev up using your hand palm and let go the clutch and away you go as you release brake lever! Even with two-up and fully laden. On a steep hill it may be more tricky but I just politely ask my pillion to walk uphill to a flatter spot!

Thats very good. But Hill start assist doesn't work with the engine off, so its not a hand brake. it works with the engine running, so you can hold the bike with the engine still running and have both feet on the ground. When you go to start, you can either just let out the clutch and go, which takes a little practice as it needs more revs, or you can just engage clutch and quickly pull the front brake leaver to release and ride away. Its like a lot of new aids, such as gear shift pro, I have always used the clutch for down shifts, but gear shift pro works well. Its an aid, you don't have to use it, but its there if you want to. I have been riding for near on 45 years, but can learn new tricks and in certain conditions, hill start works well.

It's just a hand brake,squeeze the front brake hard to engage squeeze hard again to release.

Ah. I put it on the other day, and, whilst waiting at the lights, wondered how to get it off again if I had to, without actually driving forward. (e.g. Some idiot in front rolls back and I have to push back too to avoid them?)
I'll try this next time I'm out.

The small issue with Hill Start assist is you need quite a lot of revs to pull away with it on, so does need a little practice. I have got into the habit of the start to pull away and release with the short pull of the front brake, that stops the potential stall.

I think its great on my RT, have it on my Golf estate think its great, have something similar on my T6 its good but not great

Back
Top Bottom