French Peage booths for bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to Spain instead, it's the same rate for cars and bikes so no worries about being charged wrongly :thumb2

That's it - I'm cancelling my ferry!
Can't believe those rip-off robbing foreigners. Bet you can't get proper English beer either :(

I suspect that the restriction excluding motorbikes from the 'fast track' T30 lanes might be down to the risk of a possible inability of the operating system to read a motorcycle's presence fast enough and not raise the barrier in time, with the inevitable consequences.

As it says here

They are all height restricted lanes.... nothing to do with t30's.

Alright then.

Everyone follow the signs.

If they restrict / exclude motorcycle usuage on any lane, don't use them.... Or do, the choice as ever is yours.

If they restrict the height and you fear you may clonk your head, don't use them.... Or do, the choice is yours.

If they restrict the width, and you don't feel able to suck your corpulent Tosser body in fast enough or if your 'must have' 2000 litres of panniers are maybe a mm or two too wide, don't use them.... Or do, the choice is yours

If anyone is terrified of using the Payage or cannot understand the bleeper tags or is convinced they'll be ripped-off, don't use them.

If anyone shits on people who use motorways, ever.... Carry on.

Nope. I'm still confused, sorry.

As far as I can see I definitely can use all/some of the lanes & I definitely can't use all/some of the lanes & I definitely will/won't get charged the right rate & if I do get charged the wrong rate I definitely will/won't get a refund.
And they're definitely going to sting me for speeding even if I stop for a coffee, even if I don't speed & they're definitely not going to sting me for speeding even if I stop for a coffee, even if I do speed.

I think I'll stick with fannying around to put the ticket away at the start of the Peage & then fannying around to get the ticket out, get my money out then put my change away at the end of the Peage. :thumb2

A prime example of a simple and commonplace procedure, employed successfully by dozens on a daily basis, turned into a minefield by numbsculls overcomplicating the whole thing.

Reflective splots on helmets anyone?

Breathalysers?

Hi-viz?

Ragheads sneaking into panniers whilst waiting at a peage for the mass of collapsed bikermates to clear?

This adventure biking malarkey is exhausting....

I find the debate about peage signage slightly amusing, as iirc a round sign with a red border gives an order ie: a triangular sign with a red border gives a warning, however a round sign with a red border is mandatory/compulsory. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._data/file/519129/know-your-traffic-signs.pdf So if a peage gate has a round sign + red border + a motorcycle in the centre = no entry for motorcycles.

Luckily no such signs on the non height restricted t30 lanes!! Which is what we were talking about. If anyone needs an explanation of the no entry for M/C sign, there really is no hope.

Just back from a trip which ended in peage route from Burgundy to Caen. Here's what I found.

1) Many routes now have a no motorcycle restriction on most of the booths, together with a 2m height restriction, as per Wapping's pics. Seems to be quite new, as I don't recall it from last time I did French motorways a couple of years or so ago. It means you have to keep right where there are 2-3 booths ok for high vehicles, trucks and bikes.

2) sometimes you pick up a ticket and pay at the end off the route. Sometimes you pay going on to the motorway, and again as Wapping's says, some appear to be free.

3) I used my Caxton prepay card a few times- it worked fine

4) some routes had motorbike only lanes, presumably so you're only holding up other bikes.

5) twice the machines didn't register we were there, so we couldn't put the ticket in, so we couldn't pay, much to the annoyment of a large queue of Johnny Frenchman behind. Pressing the call button elicited a response after about 5 minutes, whereby they must have switched something on as it then accepted the ticket - only for the same thing to happen to me as I followed Mrs Berin through. Twice after the ticket was accepted and a fee came up the machine refused to take any sort of payment, cash or card, again until the call button was pressed and 5 minutes later it worked. Hot and bothersome!

6) a €15 euro 1 week Vignette like they have in Slovenia would be much easier!

7) but we did 550km in about 5 hours including lunch and fuel stops, travelling mostly around 120kph, which would be very hard to do in England.

8) I reckon it cost about €20 or so per bike for the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Payage payment and safe (or otherwise) usuage seems to have been resolved.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom