Exhaust valve seizure.

GSA first registered in Jan 2015, dealer demonstrator. Bought it from Bahnstormers in June 2015. Valve screeching by November at 12,000 miles, full header replacement under warranty in December.

Had 18,000 miles service done in August, exhaust servo motor picked up on the software as faulty again. Now booked in for ANOTHER full header replacement this month.

Spoke to the dealer principle about the issue, said it was obviously a design fault, more and more of these are failing and that my warranty expires Jan 16. Asked where we go from there if this next header fails, and he suggested I contact Customer Services and purchase the extended warrantee for around £300 a year.

Wait a minute - are you saying I should pay for extended warranty to fix the BMW design fault issue??? I'm sure there's something inherently wrong with that response!

Looking at fleabay, not only Akrapovic are doing their headers and cans, but there's a couple more firms now doing them too. I might just have this warranty replacement done, and wait for the next servo motor failure before buying de-cat headers.
I think it's pretty shocking and disgusting that you have to replace full exhausts on a £16k BMW motorcycle at your own cost...... its all wrong.

Sell it for a brand new one then

Must still be fitting the bad batch to 16 plates too.:blast:mad:

Picked up my new GS on 30Th April 2016. New water pump needed in early June at 1750 miles. Another pump needed 24th June, while we where in Italy. Yet another in July. Rejected bike at about 11 weeks old when it needed another one and it had suspension issues as well. The dealer was very good and helped me a lot when dealing with the rejection. BMW however was shockingly bad to deal with. The customer service man kept coming back to the point I had put lots of miles on the bike (aprox 5500) They didn't seem bothered about the inconvenience caused at all.
Replaced it with an exact same model which had a pump fitted at 1st service and has been fine since then.
Interestingly, the gear box on the 2 bikes feel totally different with the latter bike having a gearbox which is a lot smoother and easier to use.

In a couple of years when bikes have no warranty the reputation of BMW will be tarnished. They obviously think so hence the two year warranty supplied with 2nd hand bikes purchased from the dealers. I cannot believe that known latent defects with water pumps and exhaust headers have to be paid for.
where does fit for purpose come in to this? ie, if a bike is 3 years old with no warranty and only 15k on the clock but needs £1200 headers because they have siezed for the 2nd time! once being under warranty?

We really are getting the short straw as consumers. Now there is BMW good will if your bike has been serviced by them, how is this right?

Whilst i agree the faulty exhaust fixed under warranty is a problem that BMW should resolve rather than hope you buy the extended warranty, think about these things. If you claim on the warranty you may have to pay an excess for something they may well have covered under a good will and secondly it will cover a load of other things that you may encounter.

I took out the extended warranty out on my F800GS & K1300S and was glad I did with the K1300S as I had several big things fixed, including the final drive. I don't think switch gear is covered by the extended warranty and I had those replaced under the normal warranty and again as a goodwill gesture after.

The exhaust valve on mine squeaks when I turn off the bike, is this the start of it failing, my bike has done 16,000 miles. I've taken the cover off and it operates when the engine is revved

Terry

The exhaust valve on mine squeaks when I turn off the bike, is this the start of it failing, my bike has done 16,000 miles. I've taken the cover off and it operates when the engine is revved

Terry

you could possibly lubricate it. not sure what with but the clever bods on this site will be able to advise.

Does it cause a fault by disconnecting the cables??
Roamer

No it will be fine as the motor will still rotate and go through its cycle

I just pinned mine in the open position when mine went

No it will be fine as the motor will still rotate and go through its cycle

I just pinned mine in the open position when mine went

Just for balance.

Went to look at mine this afternoon, took the cover off, switched on the ignition and voila ! a cycling action of the valve. 2013, done just over 20000 miles.

Mind you, I do clean my bike often and lubricate anything that pivots often. I do not subscribe to the "ride it, never wash it " brigade. My engine and drive train is also corrosion free after being replaced at 3000 miles. Previous white spots I attribute to the first owner putting it away over winter dirty.

What lubricant (specifically) are you posters recommending for this application? Gasoline engine exhaust gas runs between 1000 and 1400 degrees F, according to the interwebs ....

An alternative

Guys I`m looking at a replacement for the valve combined with a tuning kit to allow for the change in fuelling - I`ve sorted out the fuelling and just gotta sort out the `bypass`

anyone interested then contact me eh :thumb2

i`ve spent some time trying to sort out the OEM bearings and I can`t solve it................:blast

A mod that will not cost a penny is too remove the cables from the servo, take the exhaust can off, you now can see the valve in the exhaust header, rotate the valve to enable you to remove the screws and just slide the butterfly out, it will still have the works left in the header, alternative just leave the cables attached after you have removed the butterfly .

It's not just GS's that suffer, my local dealer has just replaced the header/cat under warranty on my S1000R, due to a valve problem. The parts cost would have been just over £2100.

Nuts ya gotta be joking...................

Even tho I love you like only one man can love another you have gotta know what an `exhaust valve` is?

My bike doesn't have an exhaust valve, does it?:augie

Yamaha called it an EXUP valve but then it was for performance not noise. Fazer 1000 Mk 1's were notorious for them corroding and sticking and then you got the rough running and lack of performance.

It's not unique to BMW.

Had a few exup valve problems back in the day also. Thunderace had one that needed constant maintenance, pretty much clean and lube every few thousand miles. I've ditched the one on my TC, likely do the same to a WC when I eventually get one.

Back
Top Bottom