Exhaust valve seizure.

My headers were replaced at the last service as the valve was squeaking. I was told it was £1800 -worth. I noticed last weekend the replacement has now started squeaking, about 3k miles later.

How the hell can a dealer tell you a set of headers are £1800, and keep a straight face at the same time? You could buy a set of titanium Akra headers for a third of that price, allowing the bike to actually breathe and perform properly.

Just to give you the heads up.

I got my Akra Titanium headers from Demon Tweeks 3 years 0% made it more mangeable

How the hell can a dealer tell you a set of headers are £1800, and keep a straight face at the same time? You could buy a set of titanium Akra headers for a third of that price, allowing the bike to actually breathe and perform properly.

Cos I wasn't paying?

What's the big deal/all that whining ?
I took my exhaust pipe off and took a Q-tip with a liberal amount of high temp copper anti-seize to lube the exhaust flap inside the pipe and guess what it is quiet !
10 minute job...

What's the big deal/all that whining ?
I took my exhaust pipe off and took a Q-tip with a liberal amount of high temp copper anti-seize to lube the exhaust flap inside the pipe and guess what it is quiet !
10 minute job...

I have done almost the same. Copper slip will not last long. A tin of Nickel slip is a good investment and will withstand the temperatures found in the exhaust system.

@ Andylel;where can you get Nickel slip and what is it ?
I just used the high temp copper stuff you use on spark plug threads and it has worked great so far...10K miles.Seams it has worked itself into the mounts where the flap turns and all you hear is the electric motor when you turn on/off the ignition like it should.I think a Akrapovic header makes the bike too loud with the Akrapovic pipe and maybe even run too lean low to mid rpm before it goes into open loop...

I just used the high temp copper stuff you use on spark plug threads and it has worked great so far...10K miles.Seams it has worked itself into the mounts where the flap turns and all you hear is the electric motor when you turn on/off the ignition like it should.I think a Akrapovic header makes the bike too loud with the Akrapovic pipe and maybe even run too lean low to mid rpm before it goes into open loop...

Sorry, just seen this and it’s in the pics from smogbob. As far as I understand it the nickel is rated to about 300° higher. It has always worked for me.

Same stuff here and cheaper in the USA

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-771...r=8-1&keywords=permatex+nickel+antiseize&th=1

Who knows why this unreliable tat is so expensive. You can get exhaust diverter kits on eBay for £110.

Stainless Steel Exhaust Hatch flap https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/142796317057

Then again the £110 tat is probably no more reliable.

Why don’t they use packed gland type seals. They work as bearings and seals - and can be replaced without taking the valve apart.

Of course that would be too expensive on a part they sell for well over £1000.

Any idea what is the max heat inside the headers on a LC Euro 4 found this product below, wondering if it will be good enough.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/150gr-NASP-...340678?hash=item44021eac06:g:2GcAAOSwIhxZYoiB

Probably up to about 1,200c ish. That looks like Nickel slip and shows up to 1350c which is the same is the stuff I use to good effect. I'd say it's worth it and if I'd found it before buying a tin of Nickelslip then I'd have bought it. Doesn't actually answer your question but hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom