Exhaust valve seizure.

Whitters777

Reaction score
Hi.
My 2013 R1200GS LC has a seized exhaust valve. Ive found some info replacing the valve with a sleeve but only on pre LC models.

I am astonished and extremely disappointed (Fu£k+-g furious) that BMW in their infinite wisdom have chosen not to fix this very well known fault, but instead have opted to redesign the exhaust so the valve is fixed permanently into the exhaust. This requires replacement of the whole exhaust from silencer forward at a cost of £1200. Only to have the same dodgy valve waiting to seize again.

Next week I am about to embark on a 5600 mile ride across Europe to Istanbul. Ive only learnt about this fault yesterday at its service (15000 miles). The bike seems to run ok so I presume the valve is stuck open.

Has anyone have a fix for this problem that won't cost me the earth?
Do the latest 2015 2016 models have the same problem?

Regards.

Whitters. :mad:

If it is jammed open don't worry about it, it is only there as a noise reduction device to pass euro laws.
The cheapest fix would be some decat headers that do away with the stupid thing.
Repair your old exhaust at your leisure and refit it when you sell.

I would fit a de-cat pipe and get rid of the valve altogether

Terry

Mine was siezed. It was noted when the bike went in to have a stalling issue looked at and was replaced under warranty. Now the valve is beginning to make a squeaking noise when I switch the ignition on. I may just bite the bullet and disconnect the cables that open and close it and leave it in the open position; like others have said, it's only there for noise emissions.

I don't know if they do them yet for the toilet GS but contact Keihan Exhausts to see if they do a set of headers that dumps the cat and the flappy exhaust valve. Just fitted some to my 2010 GSA, they look great as well.

Thanks for the replays.

I guess if its running ok it must be stuck open and I should be ok just leaving it well alone for now?

Worth a try

Just got one on "goodwill" on my GSA ( 2013 .. So previous model ) from BMW ... Parts and labour

Speak to your dealer :thumby:

There is a gentleman of this Parish who's LC was on its 4th one of these (all replaced under warranty). He had no problems riding around with the thing stuck open (it's only there to quieten the bike at town speeds) and would then get it sorted under warranty when the bike went in for a service (his is a very high mileage LC)

Go enjoy your holiday, get the pipes replaced under warranty (or goodwill) on your return then put them in the attic and fit Akra or Remus headers. :thumb2

Be thankful you don't own a Ducati Multistrada. I did, and their exhaust valves are made of chocolate. Always jamming and usually jamming shut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be thankful you don't own a Ducati Multistrada. I did, and their exhaust valves are made of chocolate. Always jamming and usually jamming shut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, same here with an 11 plate Mutley. They all do that sir, springs to mind.

I had mine replaced under warranty. going in in September as coolant is leaking from the weep hole.
My bike has done 15k miles and had 9 warranty repairs costing several thousand pounds.
Thew car industry would not stand for it.
Shit BMW crap.

Stuck exhaust valve. Problem Solved, for now!!!

Hi.

Just returned from my Istanbul run and thought I would let you know how I got on with the stuck exhaust valve. I wrote to BMW before I went and complained; stating how disappointed that they chose to redesign the exhaust so the valve is fixed permanently into the exhaust which then creates a situation where a seized valve then requires replacement of the whole exhaust from silencer forward at a cost of £1200. Doing his on a well known fault is either lack of communication at BMW or an income generator.

Although 3 years old they replaced the whole exhaust (not silencer) for me two days before I left on my trip but I did have to pay £70 labour. However this new part now has a two year warranty so as soon as the tell tale buzz sound on switch on stops I will get it in again and replaced under warranty.

I did 6250 miles through 20 countries in 29 days. It was great and both bikes, R1200 GS, performed immaculately. A link to the FB story incase anyone may be bored enough to follow our adventure. https://www.facebook.com/piersandwhitterstoistanbul/

Thanks for the advice.

I had mine replaced under warranty. going in in September as coolant is leaking from the weep hole.
My bike has done 15k miles and had 9 warranty repairs costing several thousand pounds.
Thew car industry would not stand for it.
Shit BMW crap.

Is that the weep hole on the low part of the exhaust or left had side of engine block?

Mines been squealing like a stuck pig when ignition is turned on and off ....been like it now for 30000 miles but runs fine.....52000 now..

left hand side of the engine block, BMW confirmed that it was the water pump. But not a known common problem. HO HO HO

that's a crock from BMW, my 14' plate did that about 3 weeks into owning it(from new), was told that there was a "known" batch of bad water pumps fitted at the time:blagblah

that's a crock from BMW, my 14' plate did that about 3 weeks into owning it(from new), was told that there was a "known" batch of bad water pumps fitted at the time:blagblah

Must still be fitting the bad batch to 16 plates too.:blast:mad:

That known batch means "any and all of them. This sort of problem manifests itself in cars as well. And not just in BMW.

My Jan 15 bike too

GSA first registered in Jan 2015, dealer demonstrator. Bought it from Bahnstormers in June 2015. Valve screeching by November at 12,000 miles, full header replacement under warranty in December.

Had 18,000 miles service done in August, exhaust servo motor picked up on the software as faulty again. Now booked in for ANOTHER full header replacement this month.

Spoke to the dealer principle about the issue, said it was obviously a design fault, more and more of these are failing and that my warranty expires Jan 16. Asked where we go from there if this next header fails, and he suggested I contact Customer Services and purchase the extended warrantee for around £300 a year.

Wait a minute - are you saying I should pay for extended warranty to fix the BMW design fault issue??? I'm sure there's something inherently wrong with that response!

Looking at fleabay, not only Akrapovic are doing their headers and cans, but there's a couple more firms now doing them too. I might just have this warranty replacement done, and wait for the next servo motor failure before buying de-cat headers.
I think it's pretty shocking and disgusting that you have to replace full exhausts on a £16k BMW motorcycle at your own cost...... its all wrong.

It is shocking and disgusting, as is the suggestion that you pay to insure against the failure manifestation of a design defect.

That shock and disgust are further magnified by your already having had 2 manifestations of the problem while under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom