Calais through France help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinytim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
At very short notice 3 of us have booked a Dover to Calais ferry this coming Saturday, returning the following Saturday. We have no plan whatsoever other than to head across to Vosges country and Germany. We intend to make it up as we go along really as the 3 of us are very flexible with no hangups about time and where we should be. Want to enjoy the ride across France.

I know all the info is here ( dip ya fekkin bread Wapping owd dook before you come up with the goods ....as you do) such as the Vosges thread to name but one, but really after some pointers, tips, and a general route to get us out of Calais and onto riding roads as soon as possible cos we really dont have time to plan in detail. Motorway use to be avoided / minimised and will arrive in Calais early afternoon so plenty of time for riding eastish.

Thanks in advance.

:clap

A lot of clutter to clear, I would bomb along the Motorway a bit to around Reims or Metz sort of area rather than crawl through the (relative) sprawl around Calais. This way you could start day two on decent back roads and hit the Vosges around Lunch time.

You may also want to consider a couple of days in the Black Forest as a week is a bit long for the Vosges IMO (The region is smaller than Wales)

I agree with Rasher. I went over on Saturday the 6th and bombed down to the Geneva area so I could, at my leisure (or not as it turned out to be), start the RdGA the next morning.

I agree with Rasher. I went over on Saturday the 6th and bombed down to the Geneva area so I could, at my leisure (or not as it turned out to be), start the RdGA the next morning.
Yup... Bash the toll road and do the RDGA, have a dip in the Med and back up the route Napoleon

this i s roughly the route we took a couple of years ago, we stopped in verdun overnight and then on to Kayserberg, sedan has a big fortification thats worth a look if you like that sort of thing, and verdun needs no introduction

Attachments

• 29-08-2016 14-34-57.jpg
    29-08-2016 14-34-57.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 473
Right, on the map in post #5 you can ride to Verdun in a reasonably easy day, across country, without so much as touching a motorway. You are starting early afternoon (time?) so if you don't mind lobbing in some motorway at the start (to make up for missing the morning) all should be well.

From Verdun to the end of the route in post #5 can be done without motorway, though I'd maybe take some to miss out Nancy which, despite her name, can be an unaractive bitch to grind through.

Coming back, it's two days on non-motorway roads all the way, if you fancy it. Two days, or one if you start at a decent time and don't dawdle.

Depending on when you steam off the steamer in France, you could consider going:

Calais > St Quentin (via m'way) > Vervins > Rethel > Vouziers > Verdun'ish

Verdun'ish > St Mihiel > Nancy (swing past on the m'way) > St Die des Vosges. From there the world is your lobster, Terrence.

For Verdun(ish) try Two Wheel Moorings for a place to stay, from Calais it is 2 hours down the motorway and then two hours across fairly pleasant countryside.

this i s roughly the route we took a couple of years ago...

Far better, imho to take the "toll free" route if you're going to munch miles on motorways. (very little in it, mileage wise)
If you like war stuff, St Avold has the biggest US graveyard in Europe Then on to Voges du Nord for the Siegfried and Maginot lines and Voges proper.

Attachments

• TF.jpg
    TF.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 404
The Calais to St Quentin toll for a motorbike is £6.75. It used to be less but the pound has weakened. Even so, it's not life changing. Though the post above does show that there is lots of choice, governed by what time you set off from Calais and really no more than how far (and to where) you want to go before kicking back and chillin' with your likeminded souls to complete your first day.

You could of course just steam it all the way down to the Vosges on day one. By no means impossible.

3 nights is plenty in the Vosges - as suggested Kaysersberg is a nice town - there's a decentish Logis on the outskirts or Hotel Constantin in the town centre has garage parking.

Hotel Panorama near Muster is superb. Fantastic views from the terrace over to Petit Ballon. Take the excellent half board option as there is nothing else within 10km!

Then spend 2 nights the other side of the Rhine in the Black Forest or back north in the Ardennes. 1 night stopover in each direction and that is your 7 nights.

Going the way we did, involved very little peage, we had a early start from Calais and we were exploring verdun by 1.30 pm , and we were in kayserberg by dinner the following day. Every one will have their own opinions of what is the best route to any destination, the op asked for suggestions/ideas and that is what I have given, is it a far better way than some one elses I dont know, having never been down every possible route to the vosges, but there again I doubt if anyone else has either, so my suggestion is just that, a suggestion.

Going the way we did, involved very little peage, we had a early start from Calais and we were exploring verdun by 1.30 pm , and we were in kayserberg by dinner the next... Everyone will have their own opinions of what is the best route to any destination, the op asked for suggestions/ideas and that is what I have given, is it a far better way than some one elses I dont know.....

It's a good route suggestion, I don't think anyone has suggested that it isn't. :beerjug:

I was just trying to make the point that it was a suggestion and certainly not the best ever route that there was, and may not be any better than anyone else's suggestion.

If you like war stuff, St Avold has the biggest US graveyard in Europe.

Well don't know what to say. Been travelling back and forth through Metz to Colmar and Thionville to Saarbrucken for more years than I care to remember but had never been aware of St Avold.

Thanks Reboots.

All those replies and help are all well and good but what the fook happened to people just looking at a map and working a route out for themselves,FFS ??
Jeezus,recommend me this,recommend me that,where to stop,where to eat,what to see.
Just fekking well go,and discover for yourself.

Read a map? You are avin' a giraffe, mate.

It is charitable work, worth 50 extra bonus bikermate points, redeemable at any Tesco (terms and conditions apply)

having been to the Vosges twice this year, I cannot abide the French Peage on account of its mind numbing views :p I much prefer the route through Belgium, Lux etc, Bastogne is a good easy ride from the coast, with lots to see if you want to, here would be my choice of Hotels.
From there the Vosges are a few hours ride depending on whether you want to keep off the motorways or not, and for me the Col de Bussang is the perfect biker Hotel, with a good position for some of the best roads in the area.

All those replies and help are all well and good but what the fook happened to people just looking at a map and working a route out for themselves,FFS ??
Jeezus,recommend me this,recommend me that,where to stop,where to eat,what to see.
Just fekking well go,and discover for yourself.

Feckenham right off you intolerant coont. Read and digest the OPERA. It's a very short notice trip so no time really for enjoying and perusing maps unfortunately. Better to ask the knowledgableft folk here for a few tips to which I thank you all.....except you, ya miserable twat.

Thanks again all. Sorted now with first night in that there Two Wheel B&British place then Pension Williams at See Bach Sunday night. After that feck knows, well make it up in Germany before last night back at that Two Wheel B&B. All booked in thanks. Sorry, did I say you were a twat? .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom