BMW comfort seat question?

Jazbee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, sold my 1200GS a few weeks back and have now bought a very nice low mileage 800GS Trophy. Had a few 800's as loan bikes over the years and thought I'd like one some day ...... So, after two 12GS's and two RT's the time is right.

Not done big miles so far but 'bonding' well with the new to me 800GS, it's completely stock and the early shake down runs only point to two things I'd like to change. The standard screen is fine, not bad at all, but that's based on sunny day rides. I think a touring screen will be a must for any touring and rough weather.

The other is the stock seat, it's really terrible :eek: the one on the trophy looks really good in two-tone black / grey, but even after an hour my arse is numb and I am thinking I'll get piles on a long trip.... It's like a plank of wood :blast:blast Surely Micky hasn't sat on this thing for 120k miles :D:D

Anyone have the comfort seat? Is it a lot better? Or is best route a Sargent seat? I'm sure some of you will have one or the other or had both maybe?

Thanks for any input:beerjug:

Hi all, sold my 1200GS a few weeks back and have now bought a very nice low mileage 800GS Trophy. Had a few 800's as loan bikes over the years and thought I'd like one some day ...... So, after two 12GS's and two RT's the time is right.

Not done big miles so far but 'bonding' well with the new to me 800GS, it's completely stock and the early shake down runs only point to two things I'd like to change. The standard screen is fine, not bad at all, but that's based on sunny day rides. I think a touring screen will be a must for any touring and rough weather.

The other is the stock seat, it's really terrible :eek: the one on the trophy looks really good in two-tone black / grey, but even after an hour my arse is numb and I am thinking I'll get piles on a long trip.... It's like a plank of wood :blast:blast Surely Micky hasn't sat on this thing for 120k miles :D:D

Anyone have the comfort seat? Is it a lot better? Or is best route a Sargent seat? I'm sure some of you will have one or the other or had both maybe?

Thanks for any input:beerjug:

The comfort seat is a lot better than standard I have the Sargent and prefer that to the comfort but like all seats and screens what works for one person may not work for you.

i have the BMW touring screen and bracket and use a laminar lip when touring this works for me

I think Micky uses one of the Touratech seats

If you were nearer you could try my Sargent for a day

If you buy secondhand if it does not work you can usually sell again and get most of your money back

Comfort seat was the first thing I bought for my 650. Vast improvement. I have a Sargent on my 1200 which is all day comfy and I'm talking 600 miles. I don't think my 650 would be as good as that but have never done that sort of mileage on it. Comfort seats come up fairly regularly on ebay so probably worth a try. Sargent probably a bit more than Comfort seat at new prices.

Comfort seat was the first thing I bought for my 650. Vast improvement. I have a Sargent on my 1200 which is all day comfy and I'm talking 600 miles. I don't think my 650 would be as good as that but have never done that sort of mileage on it. Comfort seats come up fairly regularly on ebay so probably worth a try. Sargent probably a bit more than Comfort seat at new prices.

I got my Sargent like new for £220 and sold the new (couple of weeks old )comfort that I bought with the bike for £160 if I remember right

I had a Sargent on my first GS (2007) and it was great, the new seat on the LC is very good in my opinion and didn't need one.

I will see if I can locate a good SH Sargent for the 800 ...... If any one selling / changing bikes let me know? :thumb2

The standard seat looks ok and felt like it should be comfortable , i rode a fair few miles with it on but it cants your pelvis at a strange angle and i felt like i needed a double hip replacement a couple of hours later. I will have to try to get a comfort seat for my 2009 F800GS.

I've a touratech on mine. Good enough for 800 miles a day, and an alternative to the normal choices. Proved very hard wearing so far (35k).

Airhawk & sheepskin cover on mine...
Having tried so many different seats over the years & great if have more than one bike...

I have a sheepskin cover which was on my MT350 and it actually fits the F800GS better. What airhawk pad suits the bike the best please?
Airhawk & sheepskin cover on mine...
Having tried so many different seats over the years & great if have more than one bike...

Bit the bullet and ordered a new Sargent seat, checked if they had stock first in the UK and they had one available which is great as I want to get at least one trip in before end of summer :thumb2 would have been 3-4 weeks from the US factory otherwise.

I have a sheepskin cover which was on my MT350 and it actually fits the F800GS better. What airhawk pad suits the bike the best please?

Airhawk cruiser medium :thumb2

Thanks for the offer,a bit far away for me though. Beer plus ebay=purchase so i have one on it,s way.
if you want to try one first i have a medium size on my gs, i stay in laurencekirk.

Corbin for me, bought two on here, best seat for me. I have have had Sargents also good but I found the Corbin best.

Air hawk is good too.

Ahhhhh sheer bliss for the nether regions :D:D
Also fitted a mudsling and a Puig screen, waiting on a rear rack and it's ready to tour :thumb2 not going to bother with Panniers, just a small top box and my old Ortlieb bag.

Jazbee, what seat height was your std seat ? And has the Sargent dropped it any height ? I'm looking athe Sargent but don't want to drop height . How's it going now it has been broken in ?

Just about to eBay a BMW Comfort seat for F650gs etc. Was putting it up for £250 inc postage. It was on my other halfs 650 but it makes bike too tall for her. PM if interested.

Just about to eBay a BMW Comfort seat for F650gs etc. Was putting it up for £250 inc postage. It was on my other halfs 650 but it makes bike too tall for her. PM if interested.

its for a 2016 Gs800 not sure the 650 will fit 1

Back
Top Bottom