Picos in mid oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is it better than uk weather.!

Or do I need to head to Portugal for better weather.?

Thanks

Paddy

It can be cool in the mornings but generally it will be pleasantly warm by 10ish, but being mountainous there can be rain. The scenery is worth it.

I would risk it, as Mark said the views are worth it. The Eastern Picos are in the rain shadow of the Western Picos , so tend to be dryer. I went to Lugo to have a look around on the way in July and got some biblical rain and soaked. Arrived at Potes the next day and they had not had a drop.

I went late Oct and into Nov
It was fab, although the first snows fell in early Nov

I went last week in October last year, a pleasant 22 most days - as said can be wet though...

There can be a big difference in the weather on the north side of the Picos and in the south. If it's pissing down in Cangas de Onis, it can still be a glorious day at Riaño.

There can be a big difference in the weather on the north side of the Picos and in the south. If it's pissing down in Cangas de Onis, it can still be a glorious day at Riaño.

Blimey, a bod earlier had it down as the east and the west. You say, it's the north and the south.

I think the OP should either:

1. Stay at home, where of course he'll know today exactly what the weather will be like in over one month's time at any moment of the day or night

2. Go and find out for himself; following the age old truth that, in the mountains, the weather will be what the weather will be and that he should prepare accordingly in accordance with the bikermate mantra: Prepare for the worst and expect the best.

Enjoy your holiday, you'll be fine.

I will also be in the Picos in mid October, whatever the weather. I'm doing a week long bimble from Fuengirola to Bilbao and have booked two days in the Picos.

I'll deal with whatever weather it throws at us.

I will also be in the Picos in mid October, whatever the weather. I'm doing a week long bimble from Fuengirola to Bilbao and have booked two days in the Picos.

I'll deal with whatever weather it throws at us.

That's the spirit!

I'll be there for 8 days from 19th Sept, so my fingers are crossed for the weather gods. The Vuelta has just been through the Picos and so I had a sneak preview from watching the TV coverage of the race on ITV4

I shall be down that way at the rally de Colombres in early October.
Nobody told me it might rain.

I'll take a nice book to read in case it gets too wet to go out.

Spent most of October there last year in a van and was glad we went when we did as the colour of the place was just stunning. We had one week of bad weather during our month and headed south to the med when it hit. Came back via Valencia and Toledo and it all added to a great experience.

Biggest hassle in Pico's was finding places to camp. The ACSI camp site app worked well on the smartpants phones..

.. You can find some Pico's snaps I took from the period here - http://axonera.com/ss-mountains

Doing Picos beginning of October, can't wait Rain or sun , fantastic place ,then guaranteed rain in Pyrenees later in trip ������

Doing Picos beginning of October, can't wait Rain or sun , fantastic place ,then guaranteed rain in Pyrenees later in trip ������

Not necessarily. We did 14 days last October in Pyrenees and only had one proper day of rain. It's a lottery.

Picos and Portugal

Just got back home after 7 days away.

Loved Potes in the foothills of the Picos. Stayed in Casa Cayo. Looks average from the outside but lovely and clean and super food, from friendly staff, really recommend staying here. I will be back. Took the N621 out too Riano what a great road little traffic and great views.

Toured through Spain over two days down to Porto in Portugal. Turned off the M way at Chaves and ended up on the N311 heading to Braga what a road, stunning surface,bends, and views and little other traffic. I would think it s in my top 5 great pieces of road. Having toured for circa 15 years.

Enjoyed Porto but you could spend a week in the Picos alone.

have very similar plan to you starting on sunday :D

la hermida riano chaves santiago vigo - estoril maybe

Paddy's back.

We can maybe guess that the weather was OK as he had a great time and will be going back. Had it been otherwise, I'm sure he'd told us.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom