My new twin shock classic!

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to buy it and absolutely had to say yes!

It's a 1960 Norton Jubilee 250 twin which was converted to long distance trials spec in 1991.

I'm going to give it a bit of TLC over the coming months ;)

I won't lie, I'm smitten!! :D

_MG_9001 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9004 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9011 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9014 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9026 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Looks lovely . Shame it'll soon be displaying an " all paint,no stickers " refresh . Leave it alone you meddler !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tosserbollockery

That's the funniest looking engine I think I've ever seen (in a good way!); all crankcase and no cylinders from the r/h side :D

Absolutely lovely looking bike Chris, I love it :beerjug:

Andres

It had an engine rebuild about 150 miles ago so today I re-torqued the head and reset the valve clearances.

I keep standing back and looking at it ..... I'm such a twat! :blast :D

I am going to disagree with you all.
I can tell you from personal experience that motor was absolute shite even when it was brand new. Long distance trials, you'll be lucky Chris.:beerjug:

I am going to disagree with you all.
I can tell you from personal experience that motor was absolute shite even when it was brand new. Long distance trials, you'll be lucky Chris.:beerjug:

Oh I've read 1000 (ish) articles saying how shite they were. The chap I bought it from is 70 years old and has been trailing with it for 25 years, albeit occasionally. He nearly didn't buy it because of the reputation of the engine but he reckons in all that time it never let him down. He rebuilt the engine at the beginning of this year as he "felt it was about time" Sadly his trail riding buddy died shortly afterwards so he decided to hang up his trial boots.
Sure I've only had it 36 hours but it's started first kick every time and sat there idling perfectly. It's clatters away like an old Talbot Horizon but as they say "They all do that sir" :D

Evidence that British bike manufacturers were not wedded to the single. A high cam twin and if it had been developed and given better electrics, frame, forks etc rather than the shite AMC single transferable set up ... ? Yours has Roadholders it seems? Fitted to the Navigator and Electra models. Enjoy it, is all that matters.

Can't get the pic the right way round but if you want copies of the original and other stuff from the Norton manual, PM me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 473
Evidence that British bike manufacturers were not wedded to the single. A high cam twin and if it had been developed and given better electrics, frame, forks etc rather than the shite AMC single transferable set up ... ? Yours has Roadholders it seems? Fitted to the Navigator and Electra models. Enjoy it, is all that matters.

Can't get the pic the right way round but if you want copies of the original and other stuff from the Norton manual, PM me.

That's great fella, I'll drop you a PM ;)

My bike is running a Boyer Bransden electronic ignition system. Its started first kick every time I've tried it!

Sell it me before you do something stupid like painting it ;)

Oh I am going to paint the tank. It's a BSA Goldstar tank converted to fit the frame. You can't see it in the photos but the top of the tank is in a hell of a state, there's paint and filler trying to escape and a bolt held in with filler where the BSA badge used to be. It's not because I'm being overly precious about it, just because it really is in a bad way. It'll be tasteful though, nothing fancy ...

Oh I am going to paint the tank. It's a BSA Goldstar tank converted to fit the frame. You can't see it in the photos but the top of the tank is in a hell of a state, there's paint and filler trying to escape and a bolt held in with filler where the BSA badge used to be. It's not because I'm being overly precious about it, just because it really is in a bad way. It'll be tasteful though, nothing fancy ...

NO NO NO.... It's character ... Formed over years of being used... If you paint it that will be gone .. :blast

thebuyer is spot on here.

It's called patina and it's the way to go.

Fella, Patina is a fancy word for wear and tear. If the tank was all original but knocked about from use then I'd absolutely leave it, however it's an old non original gold star tank with horribly applied shitty filler holding in some awful bolt stuck in there to fill the hole. It's all falling out, it's not cool or full of character, it's just a shite job

With the greatest of respect to all that have decided that it would be better left alone, none have you have seen it in the flesh. Of the 15 or so people that have seen the bike, actually been here and seen it they have all without exception agreed when I've told them of my plans to paint it.

Right .... Off my soapbox! :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JtUKk4QivKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh I've read 1000 (ish) articles saying how shite they were. The chap I bought it from is 70 years old and has been trailing with it for 25 years, albeit occasionally. He nearly didn't buy it because of the reputation of the engine but he reckons in all that time it never let him down. He rebuilt the engine at the beginning of this year as he "felt it was about time" Sadly his trail riding buddy died shortly afterwards so he decided to hang up his trial boots.
Sure I've only had it 36 hours but it's started first kick every time and sat there idling perfectly. It's clatters away like an old Talbot Horizon but as they say "They all do that sir" :D
Chris, I had one new, so I'm not quoting from a thousand articles. A friend had one new at the same time. Mine exploded within 1500 miles and his shortly after. The articles I read didn't say they were shite, they told of works riders riding easily to the summit of Snowden and covering thousands of trouble free miles. They must have been very different from the ones the public received. They really were turds and nasty turds to boot.

Chris, I had one new, so I'm not quoting from a thousand articles. A friend had one new at the same time. Mine exploded within 1500 miles and his shortly after. The articles I read didn't say they were shite, they told of works riders riding easily to the summit of Snowden and covering thousands of trouble free miles. They must have been very different from the ones the public received. They really were turds and nasty turds to boot.

Excellent, cheers for your input :thumb

Reputations,factual experiences,road tests and internet opinions be buggered.

That bike is a thing of rare mechanical beauty.

I love it!

P.S.
Thanks for the advice earlier Chris.
I've got a baby bath half full of petrol on my driveway. :augie

Back
Top Bottom