BMW K1300R - experiences?

bohrio

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am new to the forum so first I wanted to say hi :)

I currently own an old falling apart Bandit 1200 N. The bike was off the road for about 4 years. I love the bandit, simple and reliable bike, not too fast but not too shabby either!

Now I am back on the bike again and, as it is not really safe for road use (or any use) I was thinking of getting a new bike. The problem with bikes is size, I am quite a biggish guy (6.3 around 250 pounds), so even my bandit looks like a minibike with me on it.

I was first thinking of getting a GS type of bike but then I thought it a bit more and decided I wanted to stay on the naked world, I feel my choices are limited (due to my size) and since I have always loved the k1300r I made up my mind and I am going for one.

There arent many in the market. I live in Ireland so if I wanted to buy a local bike that's pretty much out of the question, there are a few for sale in the UK at the moment. Some of them with more than 15K miles which I am trying to avoid (nothing wrong with the amount of km I just rather buy a bike with less milage).

So I have seen a few out there with about 300-4000 miles, I contacted some sellers and some of them just look great, too good to be true. So my decision is almost made but, and here is my question, first, is there anything I should be looking for with these bikes? and second, how comfortable are they for a big guy like me.

I am planning of flying over to the UK next week and have a look at the bike and if I like it well... put a deposit and arrange payment but I want to hear your opinions guys first. From what I hear/read/seen it is an almost perfect bike for those who like naked.

:)

Thank you very much

Ok so its done, I am going to Manchester on wednesday. There are a few bikes there for sale atm, 3 in Williamsons BMW one in somanybikes.com.

I am sure I will be happy with the ones for sale @BMW since they offer 24 month european warranty which means it will (or should) cover me in Ireland as well.

However, they are about 2000 pounds more expensive (they are also 2-3 years newer) than the one in somanybikes.

Hi there, I had 3 K1300R before moving back to the GS. Must haves would be the quick shifter, sports screen, hugger and comfort seat. Other than that a Akro is nice but expensive so get one as new/low mileage as you can and give it a test ride. One of mine was a nightmare to get into neutral! We did 3600 miles on a 2 week trip 2-up without problem.

If you want to tour especially 2-up get the Givi panniers with quick release racking. The BMW tank bag is good and you can still use a satnav with the right bracket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi there, I had 3 K1300R before moving back to the GS. Must haves would be the quick shifter, sports screen, hugger and comfort seat. Other than that a Akro is nice but expensive so get one as new/low mileage as you can and give it a test ride. One of mine was a nightmare to get into neutral! We did 3600 miles on a 2 week trip 2-up without problem.

If you want to tour especially 2-up get the Givi panniers with quick release racking. The BMW tank bag is good and you can still use a satnav with the right bracket.

Thanks Dave

So I guess I should make the extra effort (moneywise) and go for the BMW approved bikes then. They are both 2015 bikes with 1000 and 3000 miles accordingly. Very little difference in price as well.

I fear buying a bike from a normal dealer tbh, I know I will be pretty much on my own once they sell me the bike while with BMW I know I will have them for a couple of years while the warranty lasts. Question is, is it worth the extra 2500-3000 pounds?

Ok I had a chat with Dave@Williams BMW, sent me a video, the bike looks brand new tbh. 2015, 3000 miles, dynamic, already has the sport windshield I believe and I have ordered the tank bag as you dave adviced, looks really nice and I needed something like that anyway.

So the deposit is down. Will be picking it up hopefully on Wednesday! :) I still need to arrange with Dave. I mean, I will go there on wednesday, test ride it, and if I like it, get it.

I am very happy now. For me the 24 months european warranty was too tempting to ignore.

Goodman hope you like it! I only went back to the GS as it had a bit more power than before and I prefer the riding position. The wife said there wasn't much between the K and the GS for comfort as far as a pillion was concerned.

Thanks Dave

I changed my mind and went for the 1000 mile bike, the bike is not even 9 months old and it was a BMW director bike, one of those bikes they use for a few months and then put for sale. Pretty much spotless and I was able to shave a few quids in the end.

I was initially looking for a GS, I am pretty sure I will end up owning one one day, really like the idea of going on one of those adventure trips.

TBH it feels so much better buying from a BMW dealer than from a normal bike dealer, specially since I live in Ireland and, if something goes wrong, it would be hard to deal with them from here.

Very happy, again thanks for your help. Looking forward to driving it back from Manchester to Ireland now... hope it doesnt rain!

Glad you are sorted, ride safe

5a9fedff23d0348a3bc930512298cb7e.jpg
cc42bb361b916e030b24500c7f396e8a.jpg

I had one as a loan bike for a day a few years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

My very recent experience with a nearly new BMW would make me encourage you to get a BMW Approved Used Bike. They shouldn't have any faults, of course, but the way they dealt with this has been really good.

Hi Quinten

I agree. I picked up the bike on Wednesday, and all I can say is that they do make you feel "special". The salesman came in on his day off just to give me the bike in person.

The bike was spotless as I thought it would. As I said, there were a few other K out there cheaper (and older) but the approved used scheme is something I really like, gives me that extra bit of confidence that I dont usually get from a "normal" dealer.

When I bought my RS4 a few years ago it was also an approved used Audi car and my experience with them was excellent.

Like I said I didnt have to worry about any dodgy past or anything like that, and if something goes wrong, all I have to do is bring it to the BMW dealer here in Dublin and get it sorted. I am also able to extend the warranty if I want for as long as necessary (1 year at a time) which is something I am planning of doing at least for 1 or 2 years (at an extra cost). I had to take the 3000 miles bike in the end due to a problem with the importation process, bikes with less than 3600 miles are considered new in Ireland and will incur in tax chagers (around 4000 pounds), so I had to chose the 3200 miles bike instead. It was also a BMW employee bike.

The BMW here in Dublin already had a look at the bike, I had ordered a tank bag and I was there to pick it up, one of the sales guys came down and said, well you must be Alex, I was surprised, apparently they remembered from a day I was over looking at GSs, and also remember me emaling them recently looking for a KR. They were very nice and even offered me to have the computer changed to km and l/100 instead of miles and mpg, they did that as well as a health check without me asking. Found nothing wrong with the bike of course.

So yeap, very happy I went for one of those approved bikes again, can not recommend it enough! :)

Will be talking a few pictures of the bike this weekend, I am planning on going for a little drive if weather permits. My ars..e was in bits on wednesday... I am ordering a gel seat as soon as I decide which one to go with. I have seen a few on ebay as well as sergants custom seats... I need to keep researching.

Hi Bohrio. Ugly looking beast isn't it.:rolleyes:

You might find this forum useful http://www.eurokclub.bike/index.php

You might find it worth fitting the rear mudguard 46627686607 about £18 from your BMW dealer. Keeps a lot of the crap off the rear of your pillion and panniers and is more effective than a hugger.

Best of luck with your new bike.

I've always liked the look of those. Happy new bike.:thumb

Very comfortable, fast and good handling, surprisingly good on fuel. Your driving licence will be crapping itself. Have fun and stay safe.

Hi,
Congratulations on buying your K13R
I now lose my status as the only one on the roads around Dublin/Wicklow
I've had mine over 4 years and 40k miles.
There a few things you have to get and do for trouble free ownership experience...
The only thing that went wrong with mine was the left hand side instruments switch cluster.. went wrong several times.
Do not wash it with a jet wash or anything pressured..
Get a headlight and rad guard and something to keep the crap off the springs.
Treat the bike to an ACF50 coating a few times a year and it will stay looking like new for a long time.
Aside from that... absolutely beautiful bike that should be utterly reliable.

I have mine up for sale now on DoneDeal as I have just bought a R12GS.
Riding the GS back from Kent over the last few days was great and it was the first bike I had ridden other than the K in over 4 years.
It's not as powerful and the handling will take some adapting but it made me appreciate how well the K has aged.

Well that was fun. I’m searching for more garage appeal than the GSA TC can give. The K1300R was so smooth with grunt everywhere, it felt and looked like a new bike. It had new tyres and it was a bit wet out but the bike is very steady in the bends as far as I dared. I’m very interested in making the switch. I can easily load it up and do trips like I was doing on the gsa. I made an offer via p ex but they didnt want to do it.

Maybe they’ll get in touch tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom