Rukka... schmukka..

Tearaway

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I can't believe how bad the quality of this so called 'premium brand' has become. Last year I bought a Cosmic jacket... it's at the upper end of the price range so I would expect it would be up to the task of the daily riggers of motorcycling in this part of the world.

Within a year, all of the frequently used zips broke... two cuffs and finally the main front zip...

So... I sent it off to Rukka, and 2 months later, after quite a few, 'I don't like how long this is taking' emails I finally get a replacement jacket.

Dressed in a nice new jacket and having spent the last two years on a diet of boiled green stuff ( instead of fried brown stuff ) I buy a fresh set of Cosmic trousers... a size smaller.!

I'm feeling pretty smug. Until I go out in the rain... and the smugness is replaced but wetness...

Almost every zip leaks.... after only one hour ride in the rain I can feel the water dribbling down into my boots...

It's utter rubbish... I would have been better going to Aldi or Lidl and buying basic kit...

I can't believe it... I have been wearing Rukka for almost ten years. I had an Argonaut suit that was bomb proof... my mates all have Aramas kit for years and swear by it... until they saw the leaks in mine.

There's a saying.. if you get a reputation for being the early bird then you can stay in bed all day... It appears Rukka is starting to trade on it's reputation.

Last edited:
Interesting.. I like my jacket, but my trousers ( 2 months old) the zip disintegrated on the leg. I say disintegrated as there wasn't event a loop for a zip tie left.

Currently with Jenks for repair/ replacement - wouldn't be happy with 2 months :(

I have an original Rukka Goretex 2 piece suit of 20 years standing
Made in Finland
Nothing has broken
Doesn't leak
Original Rukka quality

My older Rukka gear has served me very well but last year I bought Rukka gloves for the first time. This year they leaked badly on the way back from Austria. The stitching came apart on a carbon pad too. I took them back to Infinity at York who sent them off to be checked. Couple of weeks later they ring me to say that Tranam, the importers had sent them back with a note saying claim declined, gloves have been in an accident. They reckoned the stitching coming apart was evidence of accident damage. Of course they hadn't been down the road, and any accident harsh enough to break the stitching would also leave associated gravel rash.

Infinity agreed that Tranam were being unreasonable but insisted there was no point arguing with them. So they replaced my gloves with a new, identical pair. Which when they arrived consisted of one glove which fitted and one which was too small. A nice goodwill gesture on their part but I now have to go through to York again to change them. I too wonder if Rukka have let standards slip.

The Rukka jacket I bought leaked badly on the ride home from the shop where I bought it. I took it back and it was replaced there and then. The replacement started to come apart after about a year. That was replaced. The replacement went from black to purple. That was replaced. The replacement did the same and that was replaced. The tags on the zips did not last long. Their was never the slightest quibble or undue delay over replacing the jackets.
The only thing I found to commend Rukka was their 5 year warranty.

Not good at all. Every year I think I should freshen up my riding kit, but as my 19 year old jacket and trouser are still functional (Velcro replaced in the troos and some repairs to the outer cordura) and keep me dry in lashing rain, I'm loathe to bother spending the dosh until absolutely necessary. I've a rip in an outer pocket (but goretex drop-liner still fine), so it'll go to Lancashire Sports Repairs for a clean, a couple of stitches and a reproof in the depths of winter, hopefully to get me across the 20 year mark :beerjug:

Can't believe that the new expensive stuff is as bad as people are saying......

Seems to be in the same vein as the BMW Streetguard kit. I had a Streetguard 2 which was bombproof but went a bit purple... Replaced no quibble with a Streetguard 3 which has been equally good.

But judging by the recent thread the latest v4 Streetguard kit leaks like a sieve....

I haven't found any motorcycle gear that is of sufficient quality to be used on a daily basis and last for more than a year, even the premium brands - seems like all the modern stuff is designed for the average 3,000 mile a year biker - I do 4 times that mileage and stuff just does not last, be it boots, jackets or gloves.

I have done 15k in my twat 3 suit still like new nothing broken boots 25k still watertight helmet 30k 2nd visor the lining still as intact but outer has a few stone chips all the gear is less tha 4 years old.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It seems that the older kit is well built but the newer stuff is not up to the job... Profit appears to have taken over from quality!

It seems that the older kit is well built but the newer stuff is not up to the job... Profit appears to have taken over from quality!

Sadly I think you are correct - and the cost savings are on the basis that most people don't use their kit that often so it will just about outlast the warranty period - based on the average biker doing only about 3,000 miles per annum and most of those miles are done in the sunshine then they have fine tuned their business models just about spot on. However it doesn't work for us 'proper' :) bikers who do car type miles each year and ride almost everyday - the constant day in and day out use takes its toll. The only exception that I have seen to this rule is my Shoei Neotec which is almost as good as new after 2 years of continuous use, although I had to get a spare set of linings to alternate with washing the smelly ones. :)

+1 for the Neotec.

I have about 30,000kms on a Halvarssons suit that I got early last year.

It's the C-Change laminate one, it still looks almost as good as new.
Gets used in all weather conditions.

Sent from a OnePlusX

Cosmic suits

You can not call a cosmic suit a RUKKA SUIT, yes it is manufactured by Rukka but the waterproofing is in the liner. If you want proper protection you must pay proper money for the goretex bonded suits.
You get what you pay for .....Who said motorcycling what cheap ?

I replace my old Rukka after 10 years jacket turned purple from black whilst in Italy ! dealer said hed send it off but it was only 6mth old . Said Tranam said it hadn't been cared for properly :blast
when I asked for the jacket back he then said go pick one from the rail but I'm not impressed with the quality off it not as good as they used to be

Back
Top Bottom